Is Putting Vinegar "In" Humidifier Water Safe?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lobo

Is Putting Vinegar "In" Humidifier Water Safe?

Post by Lobo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:15 am

I got to thinking: if vinegar kills bacteria and fungal growth, wouldn't that be something good to put "in" my cpap's humidifier water? Wouldn't that help fight infections in my lungs to be breathing in steam with it in it? I actually have already tried--put a teaspoon of vinegar in my distilled water. I could not tell the next day if it helped me or not--didn't seem to hurt me, though.

Matt00926

Re: Is Putting Vinegar "In" Humidifier Water Safe?

Post by Matt00926 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:26 am

I don't think it's possible for regular vinegar that you would use in cooking to harm you. That said, a regular routine of cleaning and maintaining the humidifier should be more than sufficient.
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

knothead

Post by knothead » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:27 am

Gonna turn into a pickle...

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:38 am

Matt00926 wrote:I don't think it's possible for regular vinegar that you would use in cooking to harm you.
Using that logic, inhaling broccoli isn't harmful either.

Anyway, in reponse to the OP, depending on the concentration, it can really FU your lungs:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0002.pdf

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:33 am

knothead wrote:Gonna turn into a pickle...

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:32 am

Morbius wrote:
Matt00926 wrote:I don't think it's possible for regular vinegar that you would use in cooking to harm you.
Using that logic, inhaling broccoli isn't harmful either.

Anyway, in reponse to the OP, depending on the concentration, it can really FU your lungs:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0002.pdf
Right, the household use of acetic acid/vinegar is very concentrated. The vinegar you put on your chips and in your salad could be huffed all day long with probably no harmful effects.

I'd love to see a research piece on huffing broccoli.
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

lindalrc

Post by lindalrc » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:44 am

Vinegar is acetic ACID and acetic acid is volatile (easily gives off fumes). As a former laboratory safety officer, I can not believe that breathing in acid molecules nightly for hours can be good for the lungs, even at very low concentrations. My opinion is DO NOT do this. However, absolutely use it for cleaning. Brief inhalation is not going to be a problem unless you have damaged lungs. Just rinse well.
lindalrc

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:05 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
lindalrc wrote:can be good for the lungs

Now you know that is NOT what he said !!!

Why would you take it out of context and twist the meaning ?

You must be a Political analyst
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:09 am

lindalrc wrote:Vinegar is acetic ACID and acetic acid is volatile (easily gives off fumes). As a former laboratory safety officer, I can not believe that breathing in acid molecules nightly for hours can be good for the lungs, even at very low concentrations. My opinion is DO NOT do this. However, absolutely use it for cleaning. Brief inhalation is not going to be a problem unless you have damaged lungs. Just rinse well.
lindalrc
I agree and I don't think the smell would be that pleasant all night long. Besides if you use distilled water and clean your tank from time to time there is no need for any type of acid. For cleaning I like the salt slurry trick while using a Q.tip for the corners.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:16 am

Lobo wrote:I got to thinking: if vinegar kills bacteria and fungal growth, wouldn't that be something good to put "in" my cpap's humidifier water? Wouldn't that help fight infections in my lungs to be breathing in steam with it in it? I actually have already tried--put a teaspoon of vinegar in my distilled water. I could not tell the next day if it helped me or not--didn't seem to hurt me, though.
NO! and NO!
You obviously don't know that water vapor molecules are too small to carry any pathogens (viruses or bacteria) out of the HH tank water to you. They would stay in the tank if they may exist at all. So, other than some smell you wouldn't be getting any benefit from it. I don't know if it would do you any harm, but I sure as Hell wouldn't want to be breathing that stuff all night.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:59 am

grayghost4 wrote:You must be a Political analyst
This list of misquotes and misattributions might interest you - http://listverse.com/2008/05/15/top-10- ... misquotes/

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:31 pm

While putting vinegar in your HH, it won't kill the vinegar, it will weaken the vinegar.

Maybe you need to read the 100 posts here on proper use of a HH with your XPAP. JIM
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Just because you can eat something does not mean that you should breathe it.
Just clean your water chamber like the instructions say and you will be fine.
Sleeping MUCH better now

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:42 pm

PoolQ wrote:Just because you can eat something does not mean that you should breathe it.
case in point, drinking water is good, breathing water is bad.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.