Poll: Report Spam button

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Should the "Report Spam" button stay or go?

Yes, it's being abused, so I think it should go.
4%
No, keep it, even if it's being abused.
81%
I would prefer a "Report Post" option.
15%

Total votes: 26

palerider

Re: Poll: Report Spam button

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Sleeprider wrote:The posts don't move, they remain in the same forum,
the only way you could know if this is different than usual phpbb behavior is if you're one of the admins here.

are you?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:42 pm

All right. Well, since it appears that the Report Spam button is still needed (more than I was aware of), what if the content of the post disappeared but there was remaining a "Deleted by _________" that everyone could see? Then, if the privilege of the button is being abused on posts that aren't spam and don't merit deletion, we could see who the abusers are and put a stop to it. As is, we're flying blind, and we obviously can't depend on the "decency" of some members to behave.

And yes, AA, there IS recent abuse. I wouldn't have brought up the subject if I didn't think it was already overboard. If one person's posts are being deleted, they can contact Carolyn about it; but I've seen several posts from different people being deleted recently. There has to be a way to put the brakes on.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:13 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote: Then, if the privilege of the button is being abused on posts that aren't spam and don't merit deletion, we could see who the abusers are and put a stop to it. As is, we're flying blind, and we obviously can't depend on the "decency" of some members to behave.
"we" couldn't put a stop to it, unless you can figure out who the person is, find them, and break their fingers.

only our hosts can put a stop to it, as they have with people in the past.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:42 pm

palerider wrote:
BleepingBeauty wrote: Then, if the privilege of the button is being abused on posts that aren't spam and don't merit deletion, we could see who the abusers are and put a stop to it. As is, we're flying blind, and we obviously can't depend on the "decency" of some members to behave.
"we" couldn't put a stop to it, unless you can figure out who the person is, find them, and break their fingers.

only our hosts can put a stop to it, as they have with people in the past.
Of course, but at least we could identify the villain(s) if their name was associated with the deleted posts. Hopefully, just the thought of their actions being public would put a stop to the abuse in the first place; but even if it didn't, we'd at least know who's behind it and could make the powers-that-be aware of the situation. The way it works now, we have no idea who's deleting all of the posts that don't qualify as spam.

Maybe some think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I've never seen so many non-spam posts being deleted before, and it's bugging me that one (or a few) has taken steps to "moderate" the forum the only way they can. It's not cool.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:37 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:Of course, but at least we could identify the villain(s) if their name was associated with the deleted posts. Hopefully, just the thought of their actions being public would put a stop to the abuse in the first place; but even if it didn't, we'd at least know who's behind it and could make the powers-that-be aware of the situation. The way it works now, we have no idea who's deleting all of the posts that don't qualify as spam. .
my point is, when you send a note to Carolyn and say "hey, my post was deleted by someone" she goes and looks at the post, and it says right there who deleted it, and she can, should she choose to, reinstate the post, and punish the guilty party.

it really doesn't help the process for you to say "hey, my post was deleted by ems", because she'd still have to go find the post, look at it, decide if it was fair to delete it, reinstate it, and punish the guilty party.

you might have a point on the public shaming part of it though

Worldwar2

Post by Worldwar2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:55 pm

palerider wrote: my point is, when you send a note to Carolyn and say "hey, my post was deleted by someone" she goes and looks at the post, and it says right there who deleted it, and she can, should she choose to, reinstate the post, and punish the guilty party.
First, one has to assume that Carolyn/Admin would even read the posts. I know of people who emailed her because their posts had been deleted, and they are still sitting in their out box.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Worldwar2 wrote: I know of people who emailed her because their posts had been deleted, and they are still sitting in their out box.
you sure know a lot for an alleged newbie.

Worldwar2

Post by Worldwar2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:04 pm

palerider wrote: really doesn't help the process for you to say "hey, my post was deleted by ems", because she'd still have to go find the post, look at it, decide if it was fair to delete it, reinstate it, and punish the guilty party.
Deleted by the emergency medical system?? Now that would be something.

palerider, you seem to know so much about how this forum works. I'm thinking that it's very possible that you could be a secret moderator?? Have you been appointed as such by Carolyn?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Worldwar2 wrote:
palerider wrote:
palerider, you seem to know so much about how this forum works. I'm thinking that it's very possible that you could be a secret moderator - perhaps appointed by Carolyn?
Some of us know exactly how these boards/forums work because we have set them up for others. This happens to be a standard off the shelf forum.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Worldwar2

Post by Worldwar2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:18 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
Some of us know exactly how these boards/forums work because we have set them up for others. This happens to be a standard off the shelf forum.
Would you mind elaborating? Not sure what you mean.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:23 pm

all you have to do is use your Google "BUTTON"

https://www.google.com/search?q=interne ... 8&oe=utf-8
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Worldwar2

Post by Worldwar2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:26 pm

grayghost4 wrote:all you have to do is use your Google "BUTTON"

https://www.google.com/search?q=interne ... 8&oe=utf-8
Of course, you are right. Thank you.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:16 am

Worldwar2 wrote:
palerider wrote: my point is, when you send a note to Carolyn and say "hey, my post was deleted by someone" she goes and looks at the post, and it says right there who deleted it, and she can, should she choose to, reinstate the post, and punish the guilty party.
First, one has to assume that Carolyn/Admin would even read the posts. I know of people who emailed her because their posts had been deleted, and they are still sitting in their out box.
She definitely reads them but sometimes for various reasons, is late in responding due to being extremely busy. I have never failed to get a response back from her on any issue even though sometimes, it takes a little while. But I have no problem in waiting.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:22 am

Addressing the original question - I would vote to keep things as they are. Many times, when I have gotten on the forum in the early AM, I have deleted several spam posts. And yes folks, they were truly spam and not ones that I didn't like in case anyone was wondering. And just so you know, if something looks like spam, I will triple check just to make sure I am not deleting it in haste.

Anyway, I would have hated to have not had the ability to do that as many times, these spam posts cluttered up the forum big time.

Yes, it is not cool that people's posts are being deleted when they aren't spam and are simply unpopular posts. But I think the system for letting Carolyn investigate as to who the offender is which should result in removal of their delete spam button seems to be working even if the process is slow at times. I just don't think there is a better alternative although I appreciate BB starting the discussion.

49er

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:45 am

palerider wrote:
Worldwar2 wrote: I know of people who emailed her because their posts had been deleted, and they are still sitting in their out box.
you sure know a lot for an alleged newbie.
I don't think she's new....just reincarnated