Sore Nares...Looking for Another Mask Option

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:11 am

Tonya, please post if it works, or even if it doesn't.....

roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:38 pm

Frankly you could just buy a entire roll of the very thin and slender velcro strips that have a feed through loop on one end for permanent installation. This way you could just as easily adjust where you need the straps, then take one of the thin velcro strips and go AROUND the entire strap (loose part and fixed part) and tack in on this way. Just the same really.....
Persistance is Omnipotent

dbf73

Post by dbf73 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:04 pm

I have been on CPAP for about 2 weeks now and am obviously new to this world. I had a big problem with sore nares the first few nights with my Swift mask. What I have been using is Vitamin E oil on my nares and the soreness is all gone. I also had a problem with the straps slipping on my head and I used a piece of "Vet wrap" bandage that they use on animals that does not stick to the hair but to itself and wraped it around the green buckle and it works well as some additional friction on my hair and it does not slip anymore.

birdshell

Slippage

Post by birdshell » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:28 pm

Bonnie wrote:Birdshell
You mentioned the Swift straps are slippery. Here is a GREAT solution. posted by Steve. I have it on my Swift and I never have had the straps ride up since. It works amazing well. Give it a try, you'll love it.
ladytonya wrote:Hmm, I wonder if this would work on the back strap of the ComfortLite 2? I love my CL2 but that darn back strap won't stop riding up!
Tonya

Are you all psychic?
I turned in my Swift because of the slippage, Bonnie. After that I had seen Steve's post. However, I was using a ComfortLite 1 while waiting for my ComfortLite 2 to come. Thus, I did not apply the idea and had forgotten about it. It was a brilliant idea, and it is good to see it again in view of Tonya's idea. I really liked the Swift otherwise, though, so maybe I will get one when I next come up for a new mask.

Tonya, I now that I have my ComfortLite 2, I have the exact same problem that you have. I have been using a ponytail with hair doubled back in the elastic. However this will slip out and I have to fix the ponytail again at least once per night.

And as for dfb73, what a great concept to use the vet wrap! It is right there in the medical tape section, and that stuff is slightly tacky. I doubt it would pull out any hair, though.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try these out. Thanks, you three. I'll let you know how they work for me.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): swift

Last edited by birdshell on Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:16 pm

dbf73 wrote:I also had a problem with the straps slipping on my head and I used a piece of "Vet wrap" bandage that they use on animals that does not stick to the hair but to itself and wraped it around the green buckle and it works well as some additional friction on my hair and it does not slip anymore.
Another good lab rat! Thanks for that tip, dbf73. As many times as I've used Vet wrap bandage on animals, I never thought of it in conjunction with cpap strap fixes. Cool!

birdshell

Re: Slippage

Post by birdshell » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:22 pm

ladytonya wrote:Hmm, I wonder if this would work on the back strap of the ComfortLite 2? I love my CL2 but that darn back strap won't stop riding up!
Tonya
Tonya, I now that I have my ComfortLite 2, I have the exact same problem that you have. I have been using a ponytail with hair doubled back in the elastic. However this will slip out and I have to fix the ponytail again at least once per night.

And as for dfb73, what a great concept to use the vet wrap! It is right there in the medical tape section, and that stuff is slightly tacky. I doubt it would pull out any hair, though.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try these out. Thanks, you three. I'll let you know how they work for me.

I tried the vet wrap. It didn't do the job. Velcro tie/cord wraps are next! .
Last edited by birdshell on Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdshell

Velcro on the ComfortLite 2

Post by birdshell » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:11 pm

I promised to get back to y'all, but could not find the post!

One would think the search function could be mastered by one past age 50!

I was getting desperate, could not find the stapler, and suddenly had a thought. This is what I did:

I took the sticky-backed velcro hook part. I peeled off the backing and carefully stuck the two ends together, sticky side to sticky side. This gave me one length of double-sided hook tape.

Since the ComfortLite 2 has velcro adhering to the strap material, I stuck the two-sided velcro inside the back strap. I cut the size to my liking.

Then I put the interface and headgear on, testing by lying down on each side, etc.

I cut the rest of the 2-sided hook part in half lengthwise and width-wise. I then used this on the different strap parts that are smaller and connect to the headplate. For a quick moment, I thought that I might be able to avoid use of the pantyhose strap -----but it was pretty brief. Rested Gal is right when she is right, and no two guesses about it.

However, it was the best so far. The velcro grips but does not allow very much shifting. Goodbye, pony tail!

Good sleeping. Thank you Steve, Bonnie, and Rested Gal.

mister_hose

Nares?

Post by mister_hose » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:25 pm

...a big problem with sore nares [...] Vitamin E oil on my nares
I'm new to this forum, so I don't know... can someone tell me why all I see here is "nares" instead of "nostrils"?

I'm over 30 years old and until I joined this forum I never, to the best of my recollection, ever saw the word "nare" used before anywhere. In fact, upon seeing it here I had to look it up in the dictionary to make sure it meant what the context indicated, and indeed, Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary defines "nare" as simply "a nostril".

Given that I've heard the word "nostril" countless tens of thousands of times in my life and "nare" exactly zero times before coming here, I found this forum's very extensive use of "nare" and the almost nonexistent use of "nostril" quite odd. I think I saw only one use of "nostril" here, but hundreds of uses of "nares"; it seems like it's in every other post.

Is it some regional thing, like "soda" versus "pop", or what? But if it were, why would Googling on "nostrils" (along with "nose" to help eliminate other meanings) return over 16 times as many pages as Googling on "nares" (along with "nose")? Google is worldwide, not restricted to a certain region. Also, I've read books and other written materials and have seen films from all over the world, and again, I can't recall ever having heard "nare" instead of "nostril".

Can anyone explain this bit of oddness here on this excellent forum? Call me genuinely curious. Thanks. =)
"Mister Hose, that's my name, that name again is Mister Hose!"

birdshell

What's a nare?

Post by birdshell » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:22 pm

I agree with you. I had never heard the term, "nare," before having CPAP therapy.

I believe it is an anatomical medical term meaning the opening of the nostrils.

I can only tell you that my aunt, who is an RN, knew the term. When I was describing the way the nasal pillows fit into the nostrils, she provided the term "nares."

BetterBreathinBob

A Better Mask for Side Sleepers

Post by BetterBreathinBob » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:10 pm

Try the Vista for side sleeping. I've been using it for years and never have any marks on the face. The mask kinda sits across the nose without using the forehead supports. The sides are very padded and have fine adjustments available to get the best fit.

Good Luck
Bob

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:20 pm

if you are having problems with one Pillow style mask, you will most likely have the same problems with another pillow style.

I'd look for a reliable backup like the MirageII nasal or other mask to allow your nares to heal completely.

Sleepy Dog Lover

Post by Sleepy Dog Lover » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:08 am

I side sleep also, and have found the Aura Headrest to be a wonderful mask. I had slight problems with sore nares for the first week or 2, but Ayr gel helped me adapt. I don't even need to use the Ayr anymore. The pillows are extremely soft and comfy.

bassett

Nares

Post by bassett » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:09 am

mister_hose:

As you may have gleaned....around here nares has been used to refer to the opening of the nose vs. the entire length inside. Nares is the opening, whereas nostril includes the opening all the way up to where the two sides join inside your noggin. Nares is nothing more than a shorter way to say "orifice at the end of the mass protruding from my face."

EarlyStarts

Activa

Post by EarlyStarts » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:39 pm

I use an Activa mask as it seemed to work best for side sleeping. You can push it to one side a bit and it does not leak.

Jakester

Post by Jakester » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:55 pm

I did a "Demo" on the Comfortlite 2 this week and really liked the headgear. But I couldn't get a good seal. I did fine that I could attach the plentum of my Breeze a piece of tubing and have the best of both.