a skin "rash" side issue

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
curems

Re: a skin "rash" side issue

Post by curems » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm just grasping at straws here!

Being in the desert, your skin may be used to the dry air and the humidity could be irritating it. I would think you would need to lower the humidity for that purpose but that is probably not a good thing for your breathing. Nasal pillows might be a possible solution to give you humidity for breathing but avoiding the skin. (I can't use the pillows myself but I'm thinking theoretically this might help.) If not, perhaps coating the skin with Lansinoh might help create a barrier to protect your skin from the moisture.

It's also possible that you have a mild allergy to something in the mask (it can still happen without direct contact) and that might be a reason why one mask will work better than another. I'm still struggling to find a mask that works for me (keeping my fingers crossed that the one I got yesterday will be the magic one ) but I did have a lot of trouble with fit on FFM - they don't seem to fit my face well, and the same with the cloth mask. I also had to have my pressures increased when using a FFM so I wonder if it might be possible to reduce your pressure with a nasal mask (you'd probably need a chin strap if you are a mouth breather as you say). It would rest on your upper lip but again there would be less moisture contacting your skin.

curems

Re: a skin "rash" side issue

Post by curems » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:50 pm

I just saw this on cpap.com: Try our CPAP Moisture Therapy Cream for skin irritation caused by silicone. Soaking your cushions in warm water and mild soap can help remove some of the chemicals and gasses in the cushion that may cause irritation.