New User... Cheyne Stokes reading has me concerned

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dozer_Ont

New User... Cheyne Stokes reading has me concerned

Post by Dozer_Ont » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:32 am

Hi There,

Been on the APAP (Respironics) for just under a week now. I've been using Sleepyhead to analyze my results, though will not "wing it" with the pressure settings without doctor approval. I also know it's early in the process, so the numbers haven't had a chance to average out... though my sleep study showed an AHI of 85.1, and last night I had my lowest yet (AHI 3.95, 6 day average = 5.83). I also know that AHI is an imperfect measurement (kinda like calories, but hey gotta measure something).

My concern is that the machine is showing some Cheyne-Stokes respirations. Dr. Google has me a little worried with the whole... this is how you breath, just before you die stuff.

While I am not looking for device adjustment advice, I would appreciate some insight into these readings... Thanks!

BTW, my average time in CSR for the 6 days of using the APAP is 0.37%. That seems low to me, but I only have a medical degree from Google U.

THANKS!

--Dozer_Ont

icipher

Re: New User... Cheyne Stokes reading has me concerned

Post by icipher » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 am

Dozer_Ont wrote:Hi There,

Been on the APAP (Respironics) for just under a week now. I've been using Sleepyhead to analyze my results, though will not "wing it" with the pressure settings without doctor approval. I also know it's early in the process, so the numbers haven't had a chance to average out... though my sleep study showed an AHI of 85.1, and last night I had my lowest yet (AHI 3.95, 6 day average = 5.83). I also know that AHI is an imperfect measurement (kinda like calories, but hey gotta measure something).

My concern is that the machine is showing some Cheyne-Stokes respirations. Dr. Google has me a little worried with the whole... this is how you breath, just before you die stuff.

While I am not looking for device adjustment advice, I would appreciate some insight into these readings... Thanks!

BTW, my average time in CSR for the 6 days of using the APAP is 0.37%. That seems low to me, but I only have a medical degree from Google U.

THANKS!

--Dozer_Ont
Are you using sleepyhead software to track your data? If so, I wouldn't be too worried. The sleepyhead designer/developer decided to use "CSR" for all forms of periodic breathing. CSR is only one form of periodic breathing, and even if you were having 0.36% per night, I don't know that I would be concerned with that myself.

If you want to provide some zoomed in images of your "CSR" graph, we can further examine it and hopefully provide you some relief.

Dozer_Ont

Post by Dozer_Ont » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks for the quick reply and the reassurance. It didn't seem like a high number, and the events are few and far between. There's even been a couple nights without a single CSR. Some of them also coincide with times just after I had a bathroom break and was falling back asleep. Also noticed the bulk of VS and VS2 readings are from the times that I am falling asleep.

As for the graph, which one would it help to see? The zoomed in Event Flags?

icipher

Post by icipher » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:23 am

Dozer_Ont wrote:Thanks for the quick reply and the reassurance. It didn't seem like a high number, and the events are few and far between. There's even been a couple nights without a single CSR. Some of them also coincide with times just after I had a bathroom break and was falling back asleep. Also noticed the bulk of VS and VS2 readings are from the times that I am falling asleep.

As for the graph, which one would it help to see? The zoomed in Event Flags?

Yes, if you are using sleephead, you can zoom in on the "CSR" events.

Should look something like this...

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:30 am

Welcome Dozer !
When you get a chance list your mask,machine,etc.

tim

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

Dozer_Ont

Post by Dozer_Ont » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 am

This image is from last night:

Philips Respironics (v3.06) with humidifier (heated)
Wisp Nasal Mask

Thanks for your opinion, much appreciated!

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:08 am

Dozer_Ont wrote:This image is from last night:

Philips Respironics (v3.06)
several things,
1) the v3.06 is the software version and doesn't tell which of the many many machines it is, and many behave differently, look on the bottom for a REF number.
2) your machine *DOES NOT REPORT* CSR. it reports periodic breathing, you can go in and change the label in the menu options in sleepyhead,
3) https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize read these *THREE* pages which will show you how to arrange your sleepyhead charts best, take a proper screenshot, AND post it to imgur so that it works properly. links at the bottom of each page to go to the next.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:18 am

Respironics machines report Periodic Breathing which is just a general waxing and waning of the breathing pattern. Cheyne Stokes Respiration is one of many forms of Periodic Breathing..not the only form of PB.
I suggest that you do what PR says...rename the CSR events to PB or just ignore unless you see large amounts of PB that really looks like CSR.

Your breathing pattern looks nothing like CSR...it looks like PB but even if it was CSRish looking..that small of an amount wouldn't really be all that alarming.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dozer_Ont

Post by Dozer_Ont » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks, both of you!

I'll upload the zoomed in shot as directed once I get home tonight. My workplace blocks the imgur site. I'll follow the instructions you've provided.

Glad to hear that it's not likely a concern. I'm due to return to have the machine recalibrated next week and will ask more about the PB. Based on the AHI reduction from 85.1 (sleep study) to 3.95 (last night), I am cautiously optimistic. And sitting at my desk 30 minutes after lunch and not drifting off to sleep, that's gotta be a good sign!

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Dozer_Ont wrote:Glad to hear that it's not likely a concern. I'm due to return to have the machine recalibrated next week and will ask more about the PB.
oh, one more thing, the amount you reported < 1% is completely insignificant.

now, on the other hand, if your chart looked like THIS:

then the answer would be RUN (or at least hobble) as fast as possible to a cardiologist.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jdr999

Post by jdr999 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:44 pm

Dozer_Ont wrote:Dr. Google has me a little worried...
I just had to post this. Nothing to do with your original question, just a bit of levity.

Don't stop asking questions or finding answers -- just keep this image in the back of your mind and smile

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:37 am

Shoot! Googling your symptoms even when you feel well is a good way to convince yourself that death is stalking you!!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński