new to boards...water tub question.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mattman33

new to boards...water tub question.

Post by mattman33 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi everyone! New to these boards.

I have a question for those in the know....

I have a Resmed s9 with a humidifier. I picked it up about 10 months ago. I tried to use it for a week, but just couldn't handle it and quit. As you can imagine, my apnea symptoms have gotten worse and in remotivating myself to give it another go.

I've been cleaning all my product from a year ago and I realized I left some distilled water in the tub. Now it's all cloudy even after a wash in soapy water. I'm going to order a new one, but is it safe to use in the meantime?

Thanks!

Bill44133

Re: new to boards...water tub question.

Post by Bill44133 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:27 pm

You could try this method that was in this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94916&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=clean

I could not believe how well it worked.

I wish you well...

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:14 am

It is safe to use. It's just a little mineral deposits left from the water.
Use a little vinegar (let it soak in the tub for a little while and then rinse the heck out of it to get rid of vinegar smell) to clean the tub and it will be almost like new and certainly able to be used even if not getting a new tub.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jab1972

Post by jab1972 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:36 am

There is also a replacement s9 humidifier water container that breaks down into 3 pieces for easy cleaning. It is also dishwasher safe.

JimP

Post by JimP » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:14 am

Mattman

Why did you give up on using it?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:32 am

Try putting the tank parts other than the retaining plastic band into the top rack of your dishwasher (if you have one). Also, the salt trick somebody else mentioned above works good.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:00 pm

mattman33 wrote:Hi everyone! New to these boards.

I have a question for those in the know....

I have a Resmed s9 with a humidifier. I picked it up about 10 months ago. I tried to use it for a week, but just couldn't handle it and quit. As you can imagine, my apnea symptoms have gotten worse and in remotivating myself to give it another go.

I've been cleaning all my product from a year ago and I realized I left some distilled water in the tub. Now it's all cloudy even after a wash in soapy water. I'm going to order a new one, but is it safe to use in the meantime?

Thanks!
It should be safe. If you're paranoid, the metal part comes completely apart from the plastic parts. Drop it into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes if that makes you feel better. JUST the metal part with no plastic attached.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:29 pm

Resmed (and Respironics) mention in their literature that you should replace the tub periodically because the plastic can be imbued with bacteria over time. I can see how this might be true if you use well water or maybe even tap water, but since most of us are using either distilled or reverse osmosis water, I can't see how this would happen. You do WASH your tub periodically in dish soap. Soak it for 10 minutes and that should be adequate to kill bacteria.

I think this is mostly a marketing issue. Does anybody have evidence to the contrary?

OP, the tub should be fine, provided that you remove enough mineralization to see the max fill line. Just soak for 10 minutes in dishwash, baby shampoo and you are good to go. I bought a small container of that Control III just for using for used stuff coming from someone else. Make sure it isn't leaking before you put it into the machine. That's the only danger I can see - that the tub has a crack or won't close properly due to damage.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:57 pm

BTW, I've sanitized water tanks by dropping them into a big pot of boiling water. I turn the heat off just before putting the CPAP parts in the pot and then let the water cool on its own. I dropped the plastic and metal parts in the water. I haven't done it more than once or twice with any one tank. I also don't recommend doing it with your one and only tank.

Current model ResMed S9 non-diswashable tanks couldn't handle it. The original S9 non-openable non-dishwashable tanks had no problem. S9 dishwashable tanks had no problem. Respironics PRS1, M series, and Legacy tanks had no problems. I haven't tried a ResMed AirSense tank of either flavor.

It's possible that the manufacturer may change the type of plastic on the same production run, so no guarantees.

You can run the S9 machine without the humidifier tank even with the humidifier attached. Turn off the heat. Don't add water to the humidifier without the tank.

You can also take the humidifier off of the S9 blower unit, but if you have a heated hose, it may not fit. You could probably swap ends on the hose in an emergency.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Do you need the humidifier?

Just askin'

Sheriff

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:55 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Do you need the humidifier?

Just askin'

Sheriff
Most of us do, especially when you run central heating.

I've never been one to use boiling water to disinfect plastic because it degrades plastic and can crack the plastic.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:14 am

I like the method Bill refers to.
Others have used vinegar, Control III, or even alcohol.(drinkable, like cheap vodka)
I have even been tempted to use some of the sanitizer hubby uses before he makes beer.
Always rinse, rinse, rinse. Since our water is very hard, the last rinse is distilled water.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:09 pm

SewTired wrote:I've never been one to use boiling water to disinfect plastic because it degrades plastic and can crack the plastic.
Depends on the plastic and how often you do it.

Useful Links.