Newbie - Assistance Required

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kurtz

Newbie - Assistance Required

Post by Kurtz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:59 am

Hi Good day,

I am new to this, the forum and sleep apnea, Had my machine ( Resmed AirMed 10) for a few days 5 days to be exact.
Leaks seems to be my biggest problem I run the mask fit option before bed all is well but then in the morning the machine is telling me I had mask problems - one night it woke me other nights I slept through - the Leak # was between 40 & 50

I wanted to know the leaks that are not waking me but the machine is saying is bad - what can I do?
Also I read a few posts and everyone seem to have there AHI # under 5 - Mine has been steady at 14 odd and estimate sleep hours between 5 to 6 . Should I be worried or is it to soon

Full face mask btw.

Thanks in advance

Julie

Re: Newbie - Assistance Required

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:09 am

Hi, a good idea would be to go to User Ctl Panel under Search bar on lt and hit Profile. Put in (text, not icons plse) full name of machine (I think you meant Airsense) and model #, plus if auto vs plain Cpap, etc. and mask name, as well as pressure settings and if you use a humidifier. All will then appear under your notes so we can see what you're using whenever you post (and try to stick to this thread vs new ones for each issue so we can track your story).

There are very many diff. masks out there (see Cpap.com for lots of info including how to trial them x 30 days for small fee) and you can try them - lying down, as your face changes then - to help find the right one and get it fitted properly.

Your AHI may be high if you lose the air through your mouth, so a FF mask is a good idea (and works well if you have a cold and need to mouth breathe). Once you have the mask sorted out (we've all had to go through a few before finding what works for us) leaks should improve and therefore AHI.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:22 am

Which full face mask are you using right now?
Have you used the mask sizing guide to make sure the size is correct?
Have you watched any mask fitting videos that might be available?

Once we know which full face mask you are using then others using that particular mask could perhaps add in the hints that helped them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Kurtz

Post by Kurtz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:19 am

The DR. used the sizing guide and told me I needed a medium, I am using the AirFit F10 full face mask.
The technician showed me how to put on the mask I also watched some vids looked simple enough.

I run the mask fit option an tighten accordingly before bed I'm guessing probably my turning loosens the straps the thing is its not bothering me enough to wake me to tighten. The pressure they gave me was 4-20

My initial sleep test AHI was 57, and as I said I've been getting 14 odd - stupid question is it working or because of the leaks I am not getting a correct reading.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:39 am

In the first 'Announcement' on the pg at the top you can download SleepyHead software free and use it to track what's going on overnight. If you post the results (graphs, no calendar) on Imgur.com and leave the link in this thread we can see what's happening and give you better advice.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:59 am

I use a FFM, different brand, some things I have learned:
1. tighter is not always better with these
2. mine has top and bottom straps, tightening the bottom straps can solve a leak at the top or cause one
3. quite small changes (1/8") in the straps can make a big difference
4. when I first increase pressure, I pull the mask slightly away from my face to let the bellows puff out and this is what makes the seal against my face.
5. moving the strap on my head can effect leaks
6. positioning the mask slightly higher or lower on my chin can be useful for fit and comfort

once you get it tweaked you will know the feel of when it is no correctly for your face and then it's pretty easy to put it on and adjust it.
Sleeping MUCH better now

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:02 pm

You really shouldn't have the need to wake up and tighten the mask...especially if it is fitted right to begin with. I use a Quattro FF mask and have not mad any adjustments to the straps since I started using this particular mask. (About 15 months). If you have the straps too tight the mask will not fit properly. The air pressure should expand and seal the cushion ...it cannot if the cushion is pulled too tight against your face. If you continue to have problems try a mask cushion.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:19 pm

Isn't the cushion of the F10 supposed to inflate a bit when connected to a CPAP? If that is the case with it too tight, then the air that would be inflating and for therapy would be leaking out the cushion. Do you have facial hair, sometimes that makes people feel they need the mask tighter but really they need a shave or just a mask liner.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Couple of things..

1...if the leaks are consistently above 30 L/min then the AHI you see reported on the machine could be falsely low because the machine could be missing events. You would need to use the software available to actually see how bad the leak was and more importantly how long it was up in big leak territory.
You can use SleepyHead or ResScan software to evaluate the leak in more detail.
The leak number on the machine's LCD screen is what we call the 95% leak number which means you were at OR BELOW that number for 95% of the night...what we don't know was how much time was spent when you maybe were still below large leak territory and the data would be accurate for that period of time.

2..if your pressure settings are 4 to 20 it's possible that the initial mask fitting simply can't handle the changes in pressure as the pressure increases depending on how high the pressure might be going during the night. Meaning what works well initially may not work so great in terms of sealing later on during the night as the pressure increases.

You need to use the software for sure...
Evaluate leaks in better detail and possibly need a pressure adjustment if the AHI is higher than wanted (which yours is) but before adjusting pressure you need to know what the AHI is made up of.

Take time to read up on the software and getting it installed. Just follow the links here.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Welcome Kurtz -- To avoid confusion for folks trying to help, change the machine you've selected in your profile to the AirSense 10 Autoset. The "CPAP" model is a fixed single-pressure model and operates differently. With your range of pressures you have the Autoset.

Kurtz

Post by Kurtz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks,

I would download the software as soon as I reach home and try to upload the info.

Kurtz

Post by Kurtz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:12 pm

ok downloaded the software and exported.

how do i allow ppl to view it?

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:24 pm

F11 will send it to full screen
F12 will do a screen capture
then F11 back to normal

There is a thread about how to post with imgur and what order to put the traces in (pretty important for folks around here) this might be a sticky up top
Sleeping MUCH better now

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:24 pm

This site will help you to organize and post your shots. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
At the end of the page it will give you another link on how to take a screen shot then at the bottom of the second page is a link to how to use Imgur to post.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Kurtz

Post by Kurtz » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks that was helpful

I am hoping this is able to be viewed, someone please let me know