Intro and Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HoseCrusher

Re: Intro and Question

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:11 pm

I think it comes down to education and attitude.

If you don't understand the features of the machine, chances are that you will not set them for your best advantage. Most DME's don't have the education or time to walk you through the settings, and most people aren't curious enough to tinker on their own.

My attitude is that I am willing to tinker and explore to find what is most comfortable for me. I also understand that one size does not fit all and you may find other settings more comfortable.

I don't sleep on the floor. I discovered a comfort feature called a bed. When camping I sleep just fine on the ground, but really enjoy coming home and sleeping on my bed.

Once I figured out ramp and adjusted my settings accordingly, I really enjoy it. I drift peacefully and comfortably to sleep easing into my pressure range. I look at my data and see that no events are occurring during the ramp period so I understand that my therapy is effective. My understanding is that the palate is not like an on-off switch but gradually loses tone and then finally collapses.

I also tested humidifier settings ranging from not using the humidifier to using it at maximum. I finally found a setting that I am most comfortable with and adjust it to compensate for ambient conditions as needed.

The exhale relief was also tested. My data didn't change much with all the settings so I settled on a setting that didn't show any adverse effects on my data.

The same goes for my therapy pressure range. By reviewing the data I was able to dial in a range that gives me the best results.

Five years later I am enjoying a very comfortable and effective therapy. It is complex but it all works together for my benefit.

A much simpler system would throw out the humidifier, turn off the exhale relief, turn off the ramp, and use a single pressure. I know people that thrive on simplicity and get bogged down by complexities. As I mentioned earlier, different strokes for different folks. We are all a little different and we all have differing ideas about comfort.

The bottom line is to have a restful sleep.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Pugsy wrote:
palerider wrote:you're the first person I remember railing against the term.
I don't like the term either...never have. I just long ago decided it wasn't worth fighting over..... Seems like demeaning has become the new norm here and it makes me very sad that we make fun of people like that.
fair enough. I never thought of 'training wheels' as being demeaning... the term is used for so many things that are used by someone starting out... I didn't see any negative connotation, just a "this is something many beginners use, and many dispense with after a time.

there's numerous examples in urban dictionary... amusingly (and new to me)

A couple who accompanies a new couple on a date to ensure that things move smoothly.
Bobby was worried about his date Clarissa, so he asked Tammy and George to be his training wheels.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:23 pm

PR, I agree with everything you just posted. It was someone else that said to not use it and not you. They also implied that it might actually be harmful by delaying or preventing treatment.

I understand your differentiation between before treatment and during treatment. Personally I only see "does this feature make it easier for me to use CPAP" and I don't personally care if the feature happens before treatment or during treatment or after. I know I need the treatment, so anything that will make me tolerate that treatment better is a positive for me.

HoseCrusher: I agree 100%. No feature is better, or worse, than another right until a specific user starts using the machine.

PR: personally I didn't have a problem with training wheels, no idea what the OP or others even newer to the game than I might think about it. I know when I first got my machine I was trying to process so much, in desperate need of sleep, that my humor index was extremely low.
Sleeping MUCH better now

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:54 pm

PoolQ wrote:PR: personally I didn't have a problem with training wheels, no idea what the OP or others even newer to the game than I might think about it. I know when I first got my machine I was trying to process so much, in desperate need of sleep, that my humor index was extremely low.
I'm all for whatever "training assistance" I can get when I'm trying something new... as you say... I started off with ramp, and humidity, and washing my hose, because those were things I'd read about here that ... were done. over time, I dispensed with the ramp, and the humidity (most of the time, except when sick) and I'm fine without it. other people are different, I'd never tell pugsy to go without humidity, and I wouldn't TELL anybody else too, either... however, I would, and have, suggested that they experiment to find out what works best for them.

many people do decide the ramp doesn't benefit them, after they've gotten used to the pressure. others like to use it all the time... and as far as I'm concerned, that's fine, as long as they're getting good treatment... however ramp is often misused, set at defaults (which often start at 4 and goes on for 45 minutes before you reach treatment pressure) so it IS something that warrants a bit of a close look when someone comes here looking for help.

I apologize if I was too dismissive or rude with my responses to you... let me just say "I think you're pretty new to this and should continue to leave your options and opinions open, because the first few months of this journey are often filled with a lot of changes." if you continue, in six months or a year, to like using the ramp, more power to you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Well I am having a great day! Really! As with any new relationship sometimes it take a couple of tries to understand each other. I can honestly say, now, that I agree 100% with PR (I am sure he is thrilled LOL )
I just got my P10 setup and tried it out. sure is different than my FFM Simplus. will have to give it a night or two.
Sleeping MUCH better now

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:10 pm

PoolQ wrote:Well I am having a great day! Really! As with any new relationship sometimes it take a couple of tries to understand each other. I can honestly say, now, that I agree 100% with PR (I am sure he is thrilled LOL )
I just got my P10 setup and tried it out. sure is different than my FFM Simplus. will have to give it a night or two.
as to being thrilled, it's always nice to reach an understanding, even if it takes a couple tries to get there

and, I'm in agreement, i do quite like the p10, I started with one mask, tried several others that I didn't like as much, and then tried the p10, and have stuck with it for about a year now... still have the FFM for backup should I need it.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:44 pm

I always thought that the purpose of communication was to always move to agreement/understanding and not see how far apart people can get
Have a great nights sleep
Sleeping MUCH better now

momusescpap

Post by momusescpap » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:27 am

OP here, keeping within the same thread though it appears to have gotten a little messy.

Night two with the bumped up starting point for pressure (5., I think I'll bump it a bit more and add additional humidity. I think I can fall asleep even easier, and wake up with less dry mouth. I'm still wanting to yawn quite a bit when I first put my mask on, and have a bit of an issue exhaling all the way. However, this is only within the first five minutes or so.

All in all, I'm not upset with starting therapy at all... I'm finally starting to get to work early like I want to, instead of barely making it in on time. Thanks again for the suggestions.
ResMed Airsense 10 / AirFit P10 for Her / Moderate-Severe Obstructive Apnea

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:51 pm

momusescpap wrote:OP here, keeping within the same thread though it appears to have gotten a little messy.
... All in all, I'm not upset with starting therapy at all... I'm finally starting to get to work early like I want to, instead of barely making it in on time. Thanks again for the suggestions.
well done pulling things back on track and glad to hear you're doing well!

threads here often go off the rails after a bit, sometimes they get back on track, those are the good ones.