I don't know what is happening. Startled awake...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
icipher

I don't know what is happening. Startled awake...

Post by icipher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:14 am

I am a 100% compliant ASV user with a FFM, and my average AHI is around 1-1.5. I have central sleep apnea for which the cause is unknown, despite all the tests that were ran.

Recently( in the last month or so) I have been having issues where I startle awake and am in a state of panic as if I am dying or fearing I am having a heart attack(no chest pain, just strong pulse and extreme terror) or something of that nature. I am not dreaming beforehand.

I usually grab my fiancee out of fear so she can assist me if something happens to me. This usually lasts around 10 seconds, and then I calm down and eventually lay down to sleep again. After these happen, I will often times take my mask off to catch my breath and get up for a minute, but always put my mask back on.

The weird thing is, I check my data in sleephyhead the next morning, and I see NO event from the moments before I had woken up in a panic. everything will look normal with absolutely no flags.

This is scaring me and I have no idea what's causing it. I don't really have anxiety... I usually go to bed and fall asleep quick and peacefully.

Anyone care to hypothesize what this could be or have a similar story? I am not having issues with leaks, so I know that isn't the cause.
Last edited by icipher on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeadlySleep

Re: I don't know what is happening. Startled awake...

Post by DeadlySleep » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:39 am

icipher wrote:I usually grab my fiance
Good plan. Don't change anything.
icipher wrote:Anyone care to hypothesize
Well, you said fiance. If there is marriage in your future, you probably are having a nightmare. Don't repeat my multiple mistakes.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:57 am

Boring and repetetive as it might sound, call your doctor. A great number of heart attacks occur in the a.m. and while you probably aren't having one (yet) you might want to get checked out just in case. Maybe you need to try a Holter monitor or something for a few days...

Btw, fiance refers to guys (and if that fits, fine), but fiancee refers to women.

icipher

Post by icipher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Julie wrote:Boring and repetetive as it might sound, call your doctor. A great number of heart attacks occur in the a.m. and while you probably aren't having one (yet) you might want to get checked out just in case. Maybe you need to try a Holter monitor or something for a few days...

Btw, fiance refers to guys (and if that fits, fine), but fiancee refers to women.
Whoops, she is my fiancee, I'll edit that....

I had a holter monitor this year which I wore for 48 hours. the cardiologist said it came back perfectly fine, other than the fact that I have bradycardia(heard slows down to low 40's BPM at night). I am only 31, and I am not in bad shape, so it would seem unlikely a heart thing.... but who knows. The events seem to be in the early morning hours.... they never happen past 4 in the morning, usually between midnight and 2am.

All i can say is that it's really scaring me.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:09 pm

First thing, check with your doctor. He might prescribe an overnight Holter ECG monitor to see if there is anything cardiac going on.

Second, get a pulse oximeter like the CMS50F that can record both your heart rate as well as you blood oxygen level. It is possible that you are experiencing transient tachycardia events and that is what is waking you up abruptly. The 24 Hour Holter might not catch your event if this is not an every night occurrence so using the pulse oximeter routinely for a week or two might get you and your doctor some useful data.

Third, check you blood pressure to see if it is elevated. Again, transient BP spikes can be associated with sudden awakenings. Omron makes a reasonably priced model that you can have next to you at night so you can check when the event happens. Checking first thing in the morning and last thing at night will give you some useful data about how your pressure varies.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

icipher

Post by icipher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:13 pm

JDS74 wrote:First thing, check with your doctor. He might prescribe an overnight Holter ECG monitor to see if there is anything cardiac going on.

Second, get a pulse oximeter like the CMS50F that can record both your heart rate as well as you blood oxygen level. It is possible that you are experiencing transient tachycardia events and that is what is waking you up abruptly. The 24 Hour Holter might not catch your event if this is not an every night occurrence so using the pulse oximeter routinely for a week or two might get you and your doctor some useful data.

Third, check you blood pressure to see if it is elevated. Again, transient BP spikes can be associated with sudden awakenings. Omron makes a reasonably priced model that you can have next to you at night so you can check when the event happens. Checking first thing in the morning and last thing at night will give you some useful data about how your pressure varies.
I have a pulse oximeter as well as a fitbit that records heart rate. I didn't have my pulse oxi on last night, but every night i've worn it, my pulse sometimes spikes into the 90's or low 100's during the night for just short bit, and then returns back into the 40's and 50's. My 02 hardly ever goes below 92, and usually stays around 95-97.

Never had blood pressure issues, but I can look into this.
Last edited by icipher on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:22 pm

From the sound of things, I wouldn't wait around for a lot more internet based opinions... just saying .

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:28 pm

With heart rate spikes, make sure that you mention that to your doctor. I have that happen to me as well and I attribute it to endocrine issues. Your doctor, in addition to the Holter, might also want to look at your metanephrine levels both for serum and for 24 hour urine to see if something is going on there.

This is what my heart rate looks at night.

BTW. my blood pressure went from 143/105 PM at just before 2:00 to 111/74 at 2:30 PM while I was sitting here quietly.

Last edited by JDS74 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.

icipher

Post by icipher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:30 pm

JDS74 wrote:With heart rate spikes, make sure that you mention that to your doctor. I have that happen to me as well and I attribute it to endocrine issues. Your doctor, in addition to the Holter, might also want to look at your metanephrine levels both for serum and for 24 hour urine to see if something is going on there.
Our charts look very similar. I've been told that pulse spikes are very common in sleep and correlate with sleep stages.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:34 pm

My doctors don't take that view but haven't got a good explanation either. So its a question.

icipher

Post by icipher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:11 pm

Julie wrote:From the sound of things, I wouldn't wait around for a lot more internet based opinions... just saying .

Julie,

since i was diagnosed with sleep apnea in late 2013, i've had the following tests spread over that time period:

Two sleep studies: confirmed idiopathic central apnea and mild obstructive. Diagnosed with bradycardia(slow heart rate) but not concerned with heart rate.
MRI: negative
echocardiogram: negative
stress echocardiogram: negative
48 hour holter monitor: negative
EKG: negative

I'd like to think that after the many thousands of dollars out of my pocket for these tests, I've done my due diligence. The doctors are going to shrug their shoulders again when I tell them what's been happening, as they always do when I report a concern or issue i've noticed. I am at a bit of a loss here....

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:22 pm

icipher,

Any chance you live in California or Arizona?
If so, there is a company, Theranos, who supplies tests through Walgreen that are extremely cheap. You could explore a lot of possibilities and still not dent $100. Wish I lived near to one of those. I could get all the tests that all of my docs follow done quarterly for less that $25 a quarter

icipher

Post by icipher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:25 pm

JDS74 wrote:icipher,

Any chance you live in California or Arizona?
If so, there is a company, Theranos, who supplies tests through Walgreen that are extremely cheap. You could explore a lot of possibilities and still not dent $100. Wish I lived near to one of those. I could get all the tests that all of my docs follow done quarterly for less that $25 a quarter
I live in Minnesota.

Thanks for checking, though.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:35 pm

Close enough to Mayo in Rochester? They have excellent diagnostic facilities and a great sleep lab.

icipher

Post by icipher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:42 pm

JDS74 wrote:Close enough to Mayo in Rochester? They have excellent diagnostic facilities and a great sleep lab.
I am about an hour away. I should check them out.