Autoramp feature on Resmed Airsense 10

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Autoramp feature on Resmed Airsense 10

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:47 pm

I wonder if this is something scheduled for a OS Update.
--Which begs the question: if your machine was not bought through or monitored by a DME,
How can you get the update?

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:58 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I wonder if this is something scheduled for a OS Update.
--Which begs the question: if your machine was not bought through or monitored by a DME,
How can you get the update?
My machine was bought through a DME. I wonder which way the update would go? It sounds as if Tangled Hose has had his A10 longer than me, but I think the way his manual says it is supposed to work would be preferable. It is MISERY to spend all night on ramp because you can't get to sleep. I turned off Ramp entirely and use an APAP range, so it is no longer an issue for me. I just hope, for the sake of consistency with other A10 machines and the sanity of future users, ResMed fixes it to do what Tangled Hose's manual says it is supposed to do. Then they would have to change the User Manuals, too, though....

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:07 pm

I don't really get what the issue is here. I have an A10 and use the auto. I set the pressure for the pre-ramp time to what I needed for me to get to sleep. That is the whole point. I have trouble getting to sleep at my min pressure setting, but once asleep I am fine with it.

Why would anyone set the pre-ramp pressure to a value that prevented them from sleeping? If my pressure is too low, I don't sleep. If my pressure is too high, I don't sleep. If my pressure goes up too fast I wake up.

If someone falls asleep at their min pressure without a problem, then why would they use the ramp? Auto or fixed.
Sleeping MUCH better now

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:42 pm

PoolQ wrote:I don't really get what the issue is here. I have an A10 and use the auto. I set the pressure for the pre-ramp time to what I needed for me to get to sleep. That is the whole point. I have trouble getting to sleep at my min pressure setting, but once asleep I am fine with it.

Why would anyone set the pre-ramp pressure to a value that prevented them from sleeping? If my pressure is too low, I don't sleep. If my pressure is too high, I don't sleep. If my pressure goes up too fast I wake up.

If someone falls asleep at their min pressure without a problem, then why would they use the ramp? Auto or fixed.
The issue has nothing to do with using the A10 on APAP mode. The issue is how a particular setting in the Ramp Time menu works. It works one way for Tangled Hose, in accordance with his A10 manual, and a different way for me, in accordance with my manual. ResMed evidently made a change in how that setting works. If you don't use the setting we are discussing (which is actually a pretty odd setting, in my opinion), you don't know the misery it can cause, so don't worry about it.

It is no longer an issue for me because I turned off ramp and the Auto setting for Ramp. The OP wanted to know if anyone had tried using the setting. Tangled Hose and I think we have, and we have had different experiences and our manuals say different things. So, there is an inconsistency in A10 machines and how they operate. CPAP machines are evidently like a new car. It takes them a while to get the bugs out of a new model, in this case the A10.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:13 pm

When I read about that mode, my thought was, "Definitely not for me!"
I turned my ramp completely off. The pressure is soothing.
I can see where it might be useful for a noob with problems adjusting--but only temporarily.
Also not for everybody!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:16 pm

MarylandCPAPer wrote:our manuals say different things. So, there is an inconsistency in A10 machines and how they operate.
I'm not at all surprised that the patient manual and the clinicians manual for the same machine are not worded exactly the same.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:19 pm

MarylandCPAPer wrote:
PoolQ wrote:I don't really get what the issue is here. I have an A10 and use the auto. I set the pressure for the pre-ramp time to what I needed for me to get to sleep. That is the whole point. I have trouble getting to sleep at my min pressure setting, but once asleep I am fine with it.

The issue has nothing to do with using the A10 on APAP mode. The issue is how a particular setting in the Ramp Time menu works. It works one way for Tangled Hose, in accordance with his A10 manual, and a different way for me, in accordance with my manual. ResMed evidently made a change in how that setting works. If you don't use the setting we are discussing (which is actually a pretty odd setting, in my opinion), you don't know the misery it can cause, so don't worry about it.

It is no longer an issue for me because I turned off ramp and the Auto setting for Ramp. The OP wanted to know if anyone had tried using the setting. Tangled Hose and I think we have, and we have had different experiences and our manuals say different things. So, there is an inconsistency in A10 machines and how they operate. CPAP machines are evidently like a new car. It takes them a while to get the bugs out of a new model, in this case the A10.
thought I was pretty clear that I do use this mode and I like it. Personally I think that if you can't get to sleep while using auto mode then you are using it wrong, which is what I was trying to point out without calling you out on it. But since you misread what I posted and ended up thinking that I did not use this mode and I got little sleep last night and I interpret your response as being pretty dang rude. Well there ya have it. Have a wonderful day misinterpreting posts on forums.
Sleeping MUCH better now

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:33 pm

I did not intend to be rude. In any case, it sounds like the A10 is working for all of us on this thread who are using it, even though the feature in question may not work the same on all A10 machines.. I was trying to be helpful to the original poster, who has not used the option we are discussing. I have found out from this discussion that there is no value in me trying to share my experience with people who are asking about A10 machines, since evidently my A10 machine either works differently than others or all A10s work differently. Cheers to all of you, and good luck to the OP in experimenting with the features on the A10.

dsomerton

Post by dsomerton » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Auto Ramp Features is nice but I notice sometimes it takes me awhile to fall a sleep, then when I turn the autoramp feature off I will fall a sleep faster and stay a sleep. I believe the reason behind this is I tend to snore or stop breathing and that wakes me up when im in Auto mode because the pressure is not at my prescribed rate. I can tolerate full pressure when I first go to sleep and because of this I don't snore because the pressure is all ramped up.