AirSense 10 Autoset for Sale!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MarylandCPAPer

Re: AirSense 10 Autoset for Sale!

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:48 pm

I would suggest turning off the EPR, due to the trouble you are having breathing out. The DME set the EPR to 2 on my A10 (as well as set RAMP to Auto) and I struggled to breathe the entire first night. Once I turned off the EPR and ramp entirely, things got much better very quickly.

I would try working things out with your machine rather than sell it, if I were you. The A10 has a lot of adjustments that can make a lot of difference in the success of your therapy. After using a different model of CPAP machine for 5.5 years, my first night on the A10 was hell. However, with a bunch of adjustments (once I found out how to get into the clinician's menu), things are going very smoothly for me with the A10 now.

It's not time to give up yet!!

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:49 pm

EPR of 3 should have helped some.
While awake try 7 cm instead of 9 cm pressure with EPR of 3 and see how that feels.
Make sure ramp isn't on because with ramp the starting pressure is 4 so EPR can work its magic.
Go into the clinical menu setup area and make sure ramp is off because I think it is by default and you have to turn it off or set time to 0 to turn it off.

Just play with it while awake and not under pressure to go to sleep.
Also try one size up in the nasal pillow just to see if it helps make exhale easier...just to try it to see if the air moves easier for you. Make sure the nasal pillows aren't too tight and can inflate fully.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:58 pm

MarylandCPAPer wrote:I would suggest turning off the EPR, due to the trouble you are having breathing out
interesting you should say that, because EPR is designed to make it EASIER to breath out, and turning it off results higher pressure when exhaling.

your advice is suspect.

Last edited by palerider on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:43 pm

palerider wrote:
MarylandCPAPer wrote:I would suggest turning off the EPR, due to the trouble you are having breathing out
interesting, since that's the opposite of what EPR is for, and the experience of most people....
I was used to the PR System One A-Flex, which I don't believe had EPR. I had one hell of a bad first night on the A10 and made a bunch of adjustments that immediately made it better, and now I love the A10. Turning off EPR was one of the adjustments I made.

For Rockncountry, since you are new to CPAP, ramp may be a good idea, but you may need a higher ramp setting than you started at, The pressure prescribed by a doctor is to help with breathing problems during sleep, so going to bed with that pressure of air blowing in your nose or face without a ramp (of perhaps at least 5 to 15 minutes) when starting CPAP may be hard to deal with.

I recall you bought your A10 after I got mine a month ago, but I don't recall all of your details. Since you got an APAP machine, are you using a constant pressure or a pressure range? I thought you got the APAP -capable machine particularly because there was a question about pressure from the titration or the one the dr. prescribed? It would help if you would post a history of your CPAP experience (sleep study, prescribed pressure, settings, AHIs and other data to date in one thread (not one that says your machine is for sale!) so that experienced people here may be able to give you some help.

If your machine is not set up correctly for your needs, no wonder you felt better when you slept without it. It doesn't mean you don't need the machine. You can usually only get one CPAP machine through insurance every 5 years, and you have the current top-of-the-line machine, presumably covered by insurance.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:30 am

First I want to say that I am glad to have you guys here! It's the only support that I have and I would have already given up had you not been here. It's been a trying time. I believe I will be going to a DME (70 miles away) to try some masks on. So far I have tried a nasal mask (Pico) and nasal pillows (no way!). I fought with the Pico for almost a month. Leaks, redness on the bridge of the nose, and I hate the way it sits on my mustache on my upper lip. I have also set my machine to auto and it seems when I get to higher pressures I can't keep my mouth closed even though I'm not a mouth breather. I am thinking perhaps a full-face mask. It will bypass my mustache, not sit on my lip, and I won't have to worry about mouth leaking. I was looking at the Quattro, but would like to try it on first. Any suggestions? Again...a sincere thank you.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:08 am

rockncountry101 wrote:I am thinking perhaps a full-face mask. It will bypass my mustache, not sit on my lip, and I won't have to worry about mouth leaking. I was looking at the Quattro, but would like to try it on first. Any suggestions? Again...a sincere thank you.
I have a beard and mustache and use a FFM. My daily mask is the Quattro Air which allows the mouth to open a bit though I tend to keep it closed most of the time. I have a secondary mask made by F&P called the Flexfit 432 (very similar to the 431) which actually cups under your chin a tad.

Difference between the two...

Quattro Air is smaller, goes over your nose and sits between your mouth and your chin. Ability to open your mouth is there but a bit limited. I like and use this mask a lot and most of the time though it is a bit more restrictive. I have my best numbers with this mask.

Flexfix 432 is a bit bigger, again goes over your nose but cups your chin a bit. It is very comfortable and is better if you really need to open your mouth more. It sits differently on the face and as such I use it sometimes when I can't wear the Quattro Air. My numbers with this mask are a bit higher but I sleep easier. Note that the 431 is basically the same mask (comes with 3 size inserts) but the 432 has an additional foam insert in it which provides better cushion stability but is sized one for one size per mask.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:56 am

rockncountry101 wrote:I was given a pressure of 9. I was using small size because the other ones were too big. It seems they fit perfectly and I could breathe in but I had a hard time breathing out. I didn't set a ramp. I did however have the EPR set to 3.
rockncountry101 wrote:First I want to say that I am glad to have you guys here! It's the only support that I have and I would have already given up had you not been here. It's been a trying time. I believe I will be going to a DME (70 miles away) to try some masks on. So far I have tried a nasal mask (Pico) and nasal pillows (no way!). I fought with the Pico for almost a month. Leaks, redness on the bridge of the nose, and I hate the way it sits on my mustache on my upper lip. I have also set my machine to auto and it seems when I get to higher pressures I can't keep my mouth closed even though I'm not a mouth breather. I am thinking perhaps a full-face mask. It will bypass my mustache, not sit on my lip, and I won't have to worry about mouth leaking. I was looking at the Quattro, but would like to try it on first. Any suggestions? Again...a sincere thank you.
First you told us that you were "given a pressure of 9".
Then, we learn that you've set it to auto. (which is what I suspected was part of your problem)

How about leveling with us and telling us what ALL of your settings are. We really want to help, but I've gotten the feeling like you're not giving us all the information. Now we are told you have a mustache.

I've got a mustache, too (had it continuously since 1974 and shaving it off is not an option).......and is another reason I figured a nasal mask wouldn't work for me.......so, that's why I use a full face mask.
After much research at the time I was starting therapy, I selected the UMFF and have not found anything better (for me).
So, you might take a look at the one I use if you're looking at them. I've also tried the Quattro but liked my Ultra Mirage Full Face better. Make sure the sizing is correct, too.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
rockncountry101 wrote:I was given a pressure of 9. I was using small size because the other ones were too big. It seems they fit perfectly and I could breathe in but I had a hard time breathing out. I didn't set a ramp. I did however have the EPR set to 3.
rockncountry101 wrote:First I want to say that I am glad to have you guys here! It's the only support that I have and I would have already given up had you not been here. It's been a trying time. I believe I will be going to a DME (70 miles away) to try some masks on. So far I have tried a nasal mask (Pico) and nasal pillows (no way!). I fought with the Pico for almost a month. Leaks, redness on the bridge of the nose, and I hate the way it sits on my mustache on my upper lip. I have also set my machine to auto and it seems when I get to higher pressures I can't keep my mouth closed even though I'm not a mouth breather. I am thinking perhaps a full-face mask. It will bypass my mustache, not sit on my lip, and I won't have to worry about mouth leaking. I was looking at the Quattro, but would like to try it on first. Any suggestions? Again...a sincere thank you.
First you told us that you were "given a pressure of 9".
Then, we learn that you've set it to auto. (which is what I suspected was part of your problem)

How about leveling with us and telling us what ALL of your settings are. We really want to help, but I've gotten the feeling like you're not giving us all the information. Now we are told you have a mustache.

I've got a mustache, too (had it continuously since 1974 and shaving it off is not an option).......and is another reason I figured a nasal mask wouldn't work for me.......so, that's why I use a full face mask.
After much research at the time I was starting therapy, I selected the UMFF and have not found anything better (for me).
So, you might take a look at the one I use if you're looking at them. I've also tried the Quattro but liked my Ultra Mirage Full Face better. Make sure the sizing is correct, too.

Den

Well the sleep doctor prescribed a '9' and I set it to auto. I had it going between 5 and 9. Last night I set it to go between 9 and 10. I've been using sleepyhead to look at the results. When insurance doesn't pay for things (my AHI was 4.7 so I didn't qualify) you have to be your own sleep doctor. I wanted to see what the most beneficial therapy was. And as far as the facial hair I never thought to mention it before now. I will try the full face masks. That's my last hope for a mask.

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:25 pm

I have an appointment set up with a DME to try out some masks. Main problems: very sensitive nose bridge and nothing has worked, don't like masks that seal on top lip because of my mustache, and can't do nasal pillows at all. I'm thinking about the Amara View or the Quattro FX.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 pm

I'm not advising on pressures to set, but after a sleep study recently, I was given a pressure of 10 by a sleep center, when I have been using a pressure range of 10-17. When i got a new machine, my doctor ordered a range of 10-20. If you were told to use a constant setting of 9 and you don't think that is the right setting, I would set the range starting at the pressure you have already found you can tolerate without suffocating and put the top of the range above 9--maybe to 15. If you don't need pressure above 9, it will not go above 9 if the top of the range is set to 15. However, if you set the 9 as the top of the range and need more pressure in order to treat events while you are sleeping, your pressure range needs to be set above 9.

The machine could be set wide open, 4 to 20, and you could find out, using Sleepyhead software, what pressure range you use. However, if you can't breathe at 4 (as I can't), I would set the bottom of the range higher, but below 9.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a mask. I am glad you are able to go to a DME to try masks in person. Have you told them in advance what masks you want to try, and about your mustache and problems with pain on your nose? There are many, many masks, so the more information you give to the DME ahead of time, the more likely they are to select masks for you to try that may fit your needs. Based on recommendations of this board, I usually came up with masks they didn't think of and sometimes didn't have in stock, but advice from this board years ago helped me find a mask that fit my needs, after a succession of masks that didn't. Let us know what mask you decide on and what pressure range you decide to try. The reason for getting the A10 Autosense was specifically to help you find a range or pressure that works for you. Using an Autoset machine was the way I found that a pressure range (not the fixed pressure set by the dr.) was what worked best for me when I started on this journey more than five years ago.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:14 pm

MarylandCPAPer wrote:I'm not advising on pressures to set, but after a sleep study recently, I was given a pressure of 10 by a sleep center, when I have been using a pressure range of 10-17. When i got a new machine, my doctor ordered a range of 10-20. If you were told to use a constant setting of 9 and you don't think that is the right setting, I would set the range starting at the pressure you have already found you can tolerate without suffocating and put the top of the range above 9--maybe to 15. If you don't need pressure above 9, it will not go above 9 if the top of the range is set to 15. However, if you set the 9 as the top of the range and need more pressure in order to treat events while you are sleeping, your pressure range needs to be set above 9.

The machine could be set wide open, 4 to 20, and you could find out, using Sleepyhead software, what pressure range you use. However, if you can't breathe at 4 (as I can't), I would set the bottom of the range higher, but below 9.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a mask. I am glad you are able to go to a DME to try masks in person. Have you told them in advance what masks you want to try, and about your mustache and problems with pain on your nose? There are many, many masks, so the more information you give to the DME ahead of time, the more likely they are to select masks for you to try that may fit your needs. Based on recommendations of this board, I usually came up with masks they didn't think of and sometimes didn't have in stock, but advice from this board years ago helped me find a mask that fit my needs, after a succession of masks that didn't. Let us know what mask you decide on and what pressure range you decide to try. The reason for getting the A10 Autosense was specifically to help you find a range or pressure that works for you. Using an Autoset machine was the way I found that a pressure range (not the fixed pressure set by the dr.) was what worked best for me when I started on this journey more than five years ago.
That is absolutely NOT always true. It depends on the person's breathing characteristics and SOME things which trigger pressure increases are not always worth pursuing with pressure.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
MarylandCPAPer wrote:I'm not advising on pressures to set, but after a sleep study recently, I was given a pressure of 10 by a sleep center, when I have been using a pressure range of 10-17. When i got a new machine, my doctor ordered a range of 10-20. If you were told to use a constant setting of 9 and you don't think that is the right setting, I would set the range starting at the pressure you have already found you can tolerate without suffocating and put the top of the range above 9--maybe to 15. If you don't need pressure above 9, it will not go above 9 if the top of the range is set to 15. However, if you set the 9 as the top of the range and need more pressure in order to treat events while you are sleeping, your pressure range needs to be set above 9.

That is absolutely NOT always true. It depends on the person's breathing characteristics and SOME things which trigger pressure increases are not always worth pursuing with pressure.

Den

Agreed
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Krelvin wrote:Agreed
Thank you.

Autos (with ranges of pressure) may work well for some, but not for all.
However, they're more versatile in the number and variety of options available.
It's also incumbent on the user to study their data and figure out what does and doesn't work......and why.

Den

User since 05/14/05

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:48 pm

In summary, I am saying that if his prescribed pressure was 9 and it is not satisfactory, a pressure range should not be 9 at the high end. I was prescribed a fixed pressure twice but I have always needed a pressure range. Using an Autoset machine with a range should help a person find the pressure or pressure range that they need, shouldn't it, if they are not getting good treatment at the pressure setting that was prescribed?

My last sleep study, I didn't sleep more than 2 hours, so the titration only went to 10. I was prescribed a pressure of 10. I use a pressure of 10-20, and per Sleepyhead, never am at 10 except when I am falling asleep.

Rather than sell his machine, I would like to see rockncountry try out the machine's capabilities. Sleep study results are only a snapshot of one night and dr. prescribed single CPAP pressures often need adjustments. Am I wrong??

The pressure range information was given to me on this board more than 5 years ago when I started out with a constant CPAP range that I couldn't stand (13). Have things changed in the last 5 years? Isn't that why we recommend Autoset machines instead of single pressure CPAPs?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:15 pm

MarylandCPAPer wrote:In summary, I am saying that if his prescribed pressure was 9 and it is not satisfactory, a pressure range should not be 9 at the high end. I was prescribed a fixed pressure twice but I have always needed a pressure range. Using an Autoset machine with a range should help a person find the pressure or pressure range that they need, shouldn't it, if they are not getting enough pressure at the setting that was prescribed.

My last sleep study, I didn't sleep more than 2 hours, so the titration only went to 10. I was prescribed a pressure of 10. I use a pressure of 10-20, and per Sleepyhead, never am at 10 except when I am falling asleep.

Rather than sell his machine, I would like to see rockncountry try out the machine's capabilities. Sleep study results are only a snapshot of one night and dr. prescribed single CPAP pressures often need adjustments. Am I wrong??

The pressure range information was given to me on this board more than 5 years ago when I started out with a constant CPAP range that I couldn't stand (13). Have things changed in the last 5 years? Isn't that why we recommend Autoset machines instead of single pressure CPAPs?
The problem is, we don't know what the OP needs. As far as I know, we haven't seen any reports.
Yes, sleep studies are only a snapshot of one night (usually not a good one, either).
In MY own situation, my sleep study only went to a pressure of 16 but my evil, diabolical sleep doctor added two more centimeters to that......for good measure......18 cm. I DID try it for about an hour until I decided to reset my machine for a much more tolerable pressure of 10 cm. I tried that for a few nights and then downloaded the data. Ironically, the pressure I selected offered much better therapy than my prescribed one. After using that pressure for a year and watching my numbers drop with use, I finally decided to experiment with 11 cm. and then 12 cm. Then, I acquired a lightly used APAP from a forum member and set it to a range of 10 - 15 cm. It only hit 15 for 1 1/2 minutes on only one night in the week I used it in that range. But, it did verify that the pressure I had most recently been using.....12 cm......was pretty "spot on". I also found that the changing pressures seriously disturbed my sleep and the "supposed" precursors to apneas......snores and flow limitations......were not precursors to my apneas (which were very few in occurrences). My apneas had virtually no precursor events......they just happened.
So, in summary, I found out how APAPs work and in particular how they worked with my sleep-breathing. If a person gets a "reasonable" pressure to start with and there aren't too many anomalies, it can be tweaked fairly easily. Nobody sleeps the same night after night and everybody is different. So, it's very important that a person have a data-capable machine and even more important to use software and study that data.

Den

User since 05/14/05