OT: Recipes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: OT: Recipes

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 pm

palerider wrote: my new favorite way to cook chicken is Sous Vide
I had to look it up..Ouch on the price and I assume you have to do the vacuum thing too????
I will do some more research...looks interesting.
I just got a Keurig last week so my last little bit of counter space is occupied.
I kinda like it.. Don't know why I waited so long but I finally got tired of the slow Mr Coffee and cleaning with vinegar all too often. I am using bottled water in the Keurig.
JDS74 wrote:Easy Crepes
Thanks JDS...I plan to try them tomorrow. Got busy this morning and didn't get it done. Doing a little kitchen remodel and while hubby was home I put him to use.
I think I have a suitable non stick skillet that isn't trashed and still has good non stick surface. Might be a bit large but who cares.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Pugsy wrote:[

Thanks JDS...I plan to try them tomorrow. Got busy this morning and didn't get it done. Doing a little kitchen remodel and while hubby was home I put him to use.
I think I have a suitable non stick skillet that isn't trashed and still has good non stick surface. Might be a bit large but who cares.
I used to make them in a small cast iron frying pan. They don't stick if you use the right amount of grease and the right temperature also the less sugar you use the better. You have to be quick to twist the pan when you pour the batter in to get paper thin coating.
Use a round bladed knife and your thumb to turn them.
You can freeze them between wax paper until you need them. Then defrost, fill and put in the oven for a bit.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Pugsy wrote:
I had to look it up..Ouch on the price and I assume you have to do the vacuum thing too????
it's a LOT more affordable than it used to, the anova circulators are about 180$, and I've seen them often on sale for 50$ off.

for many things it works best if you do have a vacuum sealer, but you can do sell for most things with ziploc bags and dunking the bag in water to press most of the air out.

being able to cook perfect chicken, steaks, etc, every time, though... it's worth it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ems

Post by ems » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:37 pm

This is over the moon delicious... a hit every time we serve them! Sometimes we have this for dinner with mashed potatoes, a vegetable and apple sauce. Sometimes I make my own meatballs with ground sirloin... even better!

Ingredients:

1 14-ounce can Ocean Spray® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
1 12-ounce bottle Heinz® Chili Sauce
1 2-pound bag frozen, pre-cooked, cocktail-size meatballs
Directions

Combine sauces in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Add meatballs. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until meatballs are heated through, stirring occasionally.

Makes 30 appetizer servings.

Slow cooker Preparation: Place meatballs in a slow cooker. Combine sauces and pour over meatballs. Cover and cook 4 hours on HIGH.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:22 pm

palerider wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
it's a LOT more affordable than it used to, the anova circulators are about 180$, and I've seen them often on sale for 50$ off.

for many things it works best if you do have a vacuum sealer, but you can do sell for most things with ziploc bags and dunking the bag in water to press most of the air out.

being able to cook perfect chicken, steaks, etc, every time, though... it's worth it.
I read about how easy it is to make perfect soft boiled eggs--in bulk!
I want one, and am saving those coins they toss in the fountain--just kidding!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:01 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I read about how easy it is to make perfect soft boiled eggs--in bulk!
I want one, and am saving those coins they toss in the fountain--just kidding!
yes, you can make a dozen, two dozen, exactly the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA8YYexlgNs

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:50 am

ems wrote:This is over the moon delicious... a hit every time we serve them! Sometimes we have this for dinner with mashed potatoes, a vegetable and apple sauce. Sometimes I make my own meatballs with ground sirloin... even better!

Ingredients:

1 14-ounce can Ocean Spray® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
1 12-ounce bottle Heinz® Chili Sauce
1 2-pound bag frozen, pre-cooked, cocktail-size meatballs
Directions

Combine sauces in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Add meatballs. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until meatballs are heated through, stirring occasionally.

Makes 30 appetizer servings.

Slow cooker Preparation: Place meatballs in a slow cooker. Combine sauces and pour over meatballs. Cover and cook 4 hours on HIGH.
Sounds better than the ones my neighbor makes that uses an entire jar of grape jelly!
Morbius, are you bored?

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 am

palerider wrote:
Stormynights wrote:I love my crockpot and use it often, especially in the summer. Chicken in the crockpot is amazing. I hate boiled or baked chicken, but love it in the CP.
my new favorite way to cook chicken is Sous Vide... you pick a temp, say, 150f, seal the chicken in a bag, and pop it in for a couple hours. it comes out moist, flavorful, pastured and perfectly safe, then you can cube it up and toss it into something else, never overdone, always perfect.
I looked up Sous Vide and realized that this is an old method using new tools. My late grandmother used a similar method to cook old laying hens and other tough meat. She'd been doing that since the 30s, so it was probably done before then. In those days, she would put the hen into a baking dish with a tight cover and put it into deep water (rather like making a custard) in a slow oven. Then go off and do her chores. I do the same thing using Corningware; you can also use aluminum foil instead of plastic if you want a tighter seal. Many modern stoves don't go to low enough temperature, but grandma and I used electric and 150 F works fine.

discussion on salmonella. Various sites note that you have to cook for 87 minutes at 135 F to kill salmonella. However, they don't cite their source, so no clue. My opinion is that if it is completely cooked, it is safe.
http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com ... d-bacteria

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:04 pm

SewTired wrote:I looked up Sous Vide and realized that this is an old method using new tools. My late grandmother used a similar method to cook old laying hens and other tough meat. She'd been doing that since the 30s, so it was probably done before then. In those days, she would put the hen into a baking dish with a tight cover and put it into deep water (rather like making a custard) in a slow oven. Then go off and do her chores. I do the same thing using Corningware; you can also use aluminum foil instead of plastic if you want a tighter seal. Many modern stoves don't go to low enough temperature, but grandma and I used electric and 150 F works fine.

discussion on salmonella. Various sites note that you have to cook for 87 minutes at 135 F to kill salmonella. However, they don't cite their source, so no clue. My opinion is that if it is completely cooked, it is safe.
http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com ... d-bacteria
the biggest thing about the modern implementation is the precision of the cooking that's available inexpensively, with the new circulators that are on the market.

as far as scientific information on bacteria reduction, this is an excellent place to start:
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html <- with sources cited.

what is "completely cooked"? until it's dry and flavorless? until steak is "well done" and the consistency of shoe leather? until the chicken falls apart in the pan, like my grandmothers used to? sure, you can heat chicken till it's 166f, at which point most all salmonella is dead... and the chicken is dry, and chalky, and blech...

I'd much rather cook it completely to about 150 for 5 minutes, which kills off just as much in the way of salmonella and other pathogens, and leaves the chicken moist, tender, juicy and much much more enjoyable. and with the precision temperature water baths, it's easy. once you've had something in there long enough to reach the cooking temp, then it doesn't much matter how long you leave it in there.

I can toss in chicken breasts, or steak, and bring it up to temp, and then leave it for an hour, two hours. four hours. and it comes out perfect, every time. there's nothing time critical anymore. you don't get overdone chicken, or steak, if your attention gets pulled away for a few minutes.

and the first time you take something that's tough, and hard to cook, and cook it for several days, and it comes out wonderful, (like ribs) .... you'd be sold.

carolyngoodman

Post by carolyngoodman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:54 pm

@Pugsy - that Irish Creme recipe sounds fantastic. Bookmarking for later in the year

We also have issues with critters in our garden. A couple years ago, I was so angry at a squirrel that ate all our blueberries in front of me I wanted to try out the an air pellet gun. Then decided not worth the effort. Now we just plant enough to figure nature will take at least 30%. Less stress this way.

@JDS74 - I do not have the technique to cook a crepe. Never can flip without destroying it, even after many youtube videos. Maybe someday...

@Den - I am definitely going to try that dip receipe

Here is a recipe a guy in college gave me and I have been using ever since.

Cake Mix Cookies:
  • * Any box of cake mix (really any, I haven't found one that didn't work - I personally perfer the triple fudge cake mix with mini chocolate chips (can you tell I like chocolate))
  • * 1 egg
  • * 1/4 cup of oil
Mix together. Plop spoonfulls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 8-10min depending on how chewy you like your cookie.

Or you can leave the egg out and just eat the batter straight. Johnny and I have been known to do this on more than one occasion. This is my go to quick option when I am craving something sweet or need a last min dish for a party. These always go fast and are a nice chewy cookie.
Check out: My User Page

You can create yours here. Just log in and then you will see your name appear on the list. Click your name and edit away.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:10 pm

I have destroyed many crepes before I bought a nice big silicone pancake turner.
Now I don't have to be good! Er, I mean adept!

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm

It is super hot here today, so when it was cool this morning I made taco bowls for taco salad.

Use plain wheat or corn wraps, spray them liberally with Pam and place over upside down bowls that are oven proof. Pinch the sides of the wrap so that they fit on the bowls, place into the oven (425 degrees) for about 6 minutes until golden brown. Take out of the oven and invert your home made taco bowls on the counter to cool. When you are ready for lunch or dinner make up your taco salad ingredients and place into your bowls . I just put my taco ingredients on the counter and let the clan put whatever they want into their crispy taco bowl. Easy and no fuss... enjoy.
That is what we are having for dinner tonite .
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:08 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I have destroyed many crepes before I bought a nice big silicone pancake turner.
Now I don't have to be good! Er, I mean adept!
in lieu of adept, you adapt?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:46 pm

My first crepe attempt yielded a mess. Tasted good but tore all the hell. My skillet is too large (hard for me to manage) and it's the only one with the non stick surface that is still really non stick like it should be. I need more practice for sure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:58 pm

As part of my Sous Vide setup, I got a VacMaster and use it to vacuum seal fruit.
Setting the vacuum to 29+ inches, and putting a slice of watermelon, honeydew, or cantaloupe melon, and the end result is a compressed melon slice that is translucent and has enhanced flavor. Mixing various melons together makes a nice fruit salad.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.