OT: Recipes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: OT: Recipes

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:19 pm

JDS74 wrote:As part of my Sous Vide setup, I got a VacMaster and use it to vacuum seal fruit.
Setting the vacuum to 29+ inches, and putting a slice of watermelon, honeydew, or cantaloupe melon, and the end result is a compressed melon slice that is translucent and has enhanced flavor. Mixing various melons together makes a nice fruit salad.
that's fun to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0TiMC5BZk

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:42 pm

I like ChefSteps!!!

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

ems

Post by ems » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:49 pm

IMO Sous Vide is over rated. I got one as a gift a few years ago, used it a half dozen times and then put it in a closet. I can understand possibly why it might be used in a professional type kitchen in France, but in a home with 3 or 4 people it's a waste. And, when I found out how much it cost I couldn't believe it! It was over $1,000 if I remember correctly. Besides, I'd rather cook my steak on the barbeque (or in the oven) any time. When I tried cooking a steak it didn't taste nearly as good. My neighbors love theirs and use it all the time. Yet when we barbeque they come outside to tell us how delicious it smells. For me, it's still the old fashioned way.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:52 pm

JDS74 wrote:I like ChefSteps!!!
while it has nothing to do with cooking, I was rather amused to put a glass of january cold tap water in it, and make it boil fun with vacuum!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:54 pm

carolyngoodman wrote: ... @JDS74 - I do not have the technique to cook a crepe. Never can flip without destroying it, even after many youtube videos. Maybe someday....
Carolyn, the trick is to not flip them until they are done. Then just invert the pan onto a paper towel. They only cook on the one side. If your skillet is non-stick enough, then they just slide out.

Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:44 pm

palerider wrote: that's fun to do
For those interested in cooking eggs:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous ... -eggs.html

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:33 pm

JDS74 wrote:
palerider wrote: that's fun to do
For those interested in cooking eggs:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous ... -eggs.html
as mentioned in the video I posted where Dave Arnold talks about SVing eggs, and how you can just crack out perfect poached eggs all day long, it really really is nice if you're making eggs benedict for several people, toss the eggs in an hour or so before hand, then when everything else is ready, you just fish 'em out and crack open a dozen or two poached eggs in minutes.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:03 am

Crème Anglaise for the culinary impaired

Ingredients:
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups Half-n-Half
1/2 cp sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Ice for cooling.

Place all ingredients in a VitaMix container. Set the VitaMix to hot soup and start.
When done, pour into a metal mixing bowl or top of a double boiler and place in a container of ice.
Stir occasionally until completely cooled and refrigerate until ready to serve. It goes well with a cut fruit salad.

This bypasses all the nonsense about tempering the egg yolks and carefully mixing in a double boiler above simmering water, etc.

Unfortunately, it doesn't bypass the calories

flightco

Post by flightco » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:54 pm

Pugsy wrote:Someone asked me to share my recipe for homemade Irish Creme so I thought I would put it here and maybe others have some good recipes they would like to share....for anything...not just alcoholic beverages.

My love for experimenting goes way beyond cpap experiments....I love to cook and try new things and just like with my cpap experiments...some are winners and some the dogs won't even eat. Last week I did cabbage rolls...never had done them before and they turned out quite nicely.

Anyway here's the Irish Creme recipe that I have been using. It's pretty simple really. Some recipes called for whole eggs and raw eggs gross me out. This recipe suits my taste buds.
I do use Jamison Irish Whiskey but I suppose others could be used. I am not normally a whiskey drinker and had never really tasted the "good" stuff but my husband had me take a sip of it straight and man was it ever smooth..so much better than the cheap stuff I had back in my bar hopping days.

I Cup of heavy whipping cream
1-14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 & 2/3 Cup of Irish Whiskey
1 tsp of instant coffee
2 TBSP chocolate syrup
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp vanilla extract

Pour it all in a blender and blend/puree on high for 20 to 30 seconds.
Pour into suitable container and refrigerate. Once I did this a couple of times I just saved the empty whiskey bottles.
Shake well before pouring to drink... they say it will keep well in the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks...never lasts that long at my house.
I totally ignore the potential caloric intake...something are just best left unknown.
I wouldn't worry too much about the calories, no calories in vanilla and almond extract or instant coffee.

I will need to give this a try

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:13 am

ELEPHANT SOUP:

1 med. elephant (African is best) , 500 gals. hot water,
2 pecks onions, finely chopped , 1 bushel potatoes, peeled & diced,
5 shovels of salt , 3 shovels pepper,
1 1/2 cases Worcestershire sauce , 10 bottles rum and coke to taste,
5 quarts peanut oil (optional)

Mix 1 1/2 oz. of rum with coke; drink. Wash and dry elephant (don't use soap as this will spoil flavor). Chop into bite sized chunks. In back of 1/2 ton truck (or rented U-Haul) pour hot water. Have another rum and coke and add elephant, spuds and other ingredients. Allow to simmer. Meanwhile, finish first bottle of rum. Stir mixture using canoe paddle or small outboard motor. When guests arrive, start off with remaining rum (*the peanut oil won't really add to the soup, but it is the way the elephant would have wanted it !) ENJOY!!!!!!

Cheers
Nan
PS... Saw this in a very old cook book and thought it would be a good laugh... but did not mean it to be that I was "for" hunting.....in any way shape or form.
Last edited by nanwilson on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:59 am

nanwilson wrote:ELEPHANT SOUP:
<snipped>
Cute, but "poached" would be more accurate.

(About 100 elephants are killed every day by poachers and trophy hunters. I say we turn the tables and hunt Walter Palmer and his ilk. )
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:37 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:
nanwilson wrote:ELEPHANT SOUP:
<snipped>
Cute, but "poached" would be more accurate.

(About 100 elephants are killed every day by poachers and trophy hunters. I say we turn the tables and hunt Walter Palmer and his ilk. )
Years ago after they halted elephant hunting in many countries in Africa, the population exploded.
But, I believe poaching in any form is disgusting.
However, if we're hunting "killers", I think "Planned Parenthood" should be targeted instead of that Minnesota dentist. They've killed far more "lives" than all the hunters and poachers in Africa. They're far worse than Josef Mengele, the holocaust and Stalin.

And, I'm not sure if we've ever heard "the rest of the story" on how that lion happened to get shot. Was it the PH (Professional Hunter and his staff.....aka "guide") or was it the dentist who somehow coerced the PH to do it.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Better was "stone soup"

Bring a larger pot of water to a boil.
Invite all your neighbours to bring something for the soup.

Put everything in the pot. Party while it cooks.

Eat.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:27 pm

ems wrote:IMO Sous Vide is over rated. I got one as a gift a few years ago, used it a half dozen times and then put it in a closet. I can understand possibly why it might be used in a professional type kitchen in France, but in a home with 3 or 4 people it's a waste. And, when I found out how much it cost I couldn't believe it! It was over $1,000 if I remember correctly. Besides, I'd rather cook my steak on the barbeque (or in the oven) any time. When I tried cooking a steak it didn't taste nearly as good. My neighbors love theirs and use it all the time. Yet when we barbeque they come outside to tell us how delicious it smells. For me, it's still the old fashioned way.
I have a friend who is really into this stuff. We both attend a monthly get-together and he often brings things like ribs that he has cooked this way. He plops them into hot water to reheat them and then serves them. I have to say that they are very tender - as in fall-off-the-bone - and very tasty even though they don't have the external texture of bbq ribs. The secret seems to be in adding the right spices and flavorings. Since the meat spends so much time cooking with the seasonings, I think they take on more of the flavoring.

It's way too much trouble for me, but I'm glad a friend is into it and I get to sample the results!

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Today my back was really bad and I knew that real cooking was not going to be an option. I put a couple of potatoes in my crockpot. I scrubbed them good but left the skins on. I salted and peppered 2 chicken quarter and put them on the top. When we were ready to eat I just added sour cream and butter to the potatoes. Yummy We had left over steamed veggies and it was a very easy good meal. I will do this one again often.