OT: Recipes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: OT: Recipes

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:58 pm

M'ohms wrote:Experimenting with the whipping cream sounds like a good idea. If you are not planning to eat it all at once though, the whipping cream could break down.
this might help with that... I saw this tip earlier this week:
http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice ... me-article

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Pugsy wrote:Hey...anyone have a source for how to make crepes along with an easy recipe?
I want to learn how to do them because I want to do the strawberry thing (I picked a bunch of strawberries and froze them this year).
I might need a different pan/pot/skillet too...any ideas on what would work?
Here's one.
Easy Crepes
Ingredients
Servings 4
1 1⁄2 cups milk
1 cup flour
2 eggs
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons sugar
Directions
Mix together milk, eggs, oil and sugar.
Add flour until combined.
Heat a nonstick skillet on high.
Remove from heat, pour 1/4 cup batter onto skillet, turn pan to spread batter.
When crepe is dry on top, overturn onto paper towels.
Re-heat skillet and repeat.

Serve with fruit, whipped cream, syrup, anything! If you want savory crepes, just omit the sugar in the recipe.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Well...maybe the bunnies are innocent and it was the possums...but the possums are already well fed as they rob the cat food off the porch and I have made special effort to make sure they are happy.
Whatever it was...it climbed up on top of the straw bales.
We also have groundhogs but they never come into the yard where the bales are....I know they love melons of any kind.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:15 pm

kaiasgram wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:I like to mash up nearly thawed strawberries with heavy whipping cream and stevia sweetener to taste,
then glop it onto freshly toasted (or made) waffles. There are never any leftovers.
This made me think of the old Kay's, where my kids would get chocolate chip pancakes and I'd have the strawberries & whipped cream crepes on Sunday mornings. And where Terms of Endearment was filmed. Fun memories of Lincoln.
Here's some links and recipes for you kaiasgram and chunkyfrog to reminisce over (if you lived in that area long enough ago).
There were (at least) two regionally famous restaurants in Lincoln years ago who had dip (and a soup) recipes Tony and Luigi's and The Esquire Club.
I also found a link to one of Lincoln's high school classes which had a bunch more regional/local recipes listed in there, too.
Enjoy!

Den

http://www.1961rockets.com/class_custom2.cfm

http://journalstar.com/lifestyles/food- ... 182d0.html

Tony & Luigi's Dip Recipe

1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese
3/4 of a 24 oz. carton small curd cottage cheese
1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Blend ingredients well with mixer.
Refrigerate 6 hours before serving with crackers, veggies or chips.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/remem ... b0b57.html

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:46 pm

palerider wrote:
M'ohms wrote:Experimenting with the whipping cream sounds like a good idea. If you are not planning to eat it all at once though, the whipping cream could break down.
this might help with that... I saw this tip earlier this week:
http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice ... me-article
Ooh...I'm gonna try that! Thanks for the tip!

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks for those links Den! It was fun to live in Lincoln when Terms of Endearment was being filmed. I worked on campus and got to watch one scene being filmed right under our window. Then there was the whole Bob Kerry - Debra Winger romance... Major excitement in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Ah, Valentino's pizza! Another establishment we frequented with our kids. And Runzas -- coming from the California bay area this was a strange and foreign food to me when we moved to Lincoln. Miller & Paine, I remember that too. P.O. Pears was another memorable place but I think my ex (who still lives in Lincoln) told me that it's no longer there.

I lived in Lincoln from 1980-1986. I remember passing Tony & Luigi's a lot but I don't think we ate there.

This thread is like a breath of fresh air.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Pugsy wrote:Well...maybe the bunnies are innocent and it was the possums...but the possums are already well fed as they rob the cat food off the porch and I have made special effort to make sure they are happy.
We also have groundhogs but they never come into the yard where the bales are....I know they love melons of any kind.
Got too many bunnies and possums? YOU need some more recipes!!!
(and yes, I did read the "possum" pie recipes)
You could also probably substitute the groundhogs in the hasenpfeffer recipes.

http://www.food.com/recipe/possum-pie-33241

http://www.arkansaspie.com/2012/11/reci ... m-pie.html

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/possum-pie

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/southern-possum-pie/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hasenpfeffer-rabbit-stew/

http://www.food.com/recipe/hasenpfeffer-115525

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hasenpfeffer

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Ooooh that was Christmas dinner when I was a kid! I love rabbit, much nicer then beef. My uncle raised rabbits and we got them from him. They were the big "Russian Giants". In North America they harvest them very young because people prefer them to taste mild but we had them fully mature and that meat works better with the Hasenpheffer flavouring.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Pugsy wrote:Well...maybe the bunnies are innocent and it was the possums...but the possums are already well fed as they rob the cat food off the porch and I have made special effort to make sure they are happy.
We still have groundhogs! Trap and release and another is here the next day. The one we have now is huge. If we keep him well fed he stays out of the gardens. This one is really cute. Kind of looks like a dog with it's long coat. They do love muskmelons and strawberries.
Morbius, are you bored?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Den, save those Tastee Inn recipes. They closed just a few short months ago.
And the QP Ace Hardware across the parking lot, also. The end of an era.
Those Cheese Frenchees were good!

ems

Post by ems » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:16 pm

kaiasgram wrote:And where Terms of Endearment was filmed.
Terms of Endearment! I cried my heart out during that movie and for days after. That was a tear jerker (CF, is it one word or two ) if there ever was one! Could not watch it again once it was on TV. I already had spent enough money on kleenex.

Meatloaf recipe... that's for tomorrow.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Probably good either way, depending on where you live.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:42 pm

I love my crockpot and use it often, especially in the summer. Chicken in the crockpot is amazing. I hate boiled or baked chicken, but love it in the CP. Just salt and pepper it inside and out and cook all day with nothing else. I take the meat off the bones and freeze small portions for chicken salad, chef's salad or whatever else I want chicken for. I put the bones, an onion celery and carrots back in the crockpot and cook that overnight. The next morning I strain the broth and skim off the fat. Yummy chicken broth or just throw in noddles and a packet of chicken for the best noodle soup ever.

Meatloaf is good too. You can use any recipe that you like.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:06 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Den, save those Tastee Inn recipes. They closed just a few short months ago.
And the QP Ace Hardware across the parking lot, also. The end of an era.
Those Cheese Frenchees were good!
Actually..........it was January of 2014.......over a year and half ago.
Here's the article from the LJS.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/cindy ... fdd24.html

I know, I know........"Time flies when you're havin' fun!"

Even though I don't do much cooking, I have saved LOTS of recipes. I also inherited the recipe books and boxes of recipes on file cards of my grandmothers.

I don't know that I ever did eat at the Tastee Inn & Out. Most of my experiences with the eating establishments in Lincoln were at Tony and Luigi's, the original Valentino's (when you had to wait in line for hours to even get into the place), the Kings Food Host locations, McDonald's when the burgers were 15¢ .....yes, 15 cents each and the original Runza Hut.
Back in the '50s, when we went shopping in Lincoln, we'd often eat in Gold's cafeteria in their department store or the Capital Hotel (long before they converted it into the downtown YMCA) or the original Cornhusker Hotel.
I can remember when everything East of Cotner Blvd. was corn fields.

Den

User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:18 pm

Stormynights wrote:I love my crockpot and use it often, especially in the summer. Chicken in the crockpot is amazing. I hate boiled or baked chicken, but love it in the CP.
my new favorite way to cook chicken is Sous Vide... you pick a temp, say, 150f, seal the chicken in a bag, and pop it in for a couple hours. it comes out moist, flavorful, pastured and perfectly safe, then you can cube it up and toss it into something else, never overdone, always perfect.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.