Poll Re: Apnea and Your Weight

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What is Your Weight?

My Weight is Ideal
21%
1 - 24 Pounds Overweight
21%
25 - 49 Pounds Overweight
18%
50 - 74 Pounds Overweight
16%
75 - 99 Pounds Overweight
6%
100 + Pounds Overweight
19%

Total votes: 145

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Poll Re: Apnea and Your Weight

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Too many doctors base their initial diagnosis by simply looking at the patient.
Where is the "science" in medical science?

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:47 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Too many doctors base their initial diagnosis by simply looking at the patient.
Where is the "science" in medical science?
They make a cost assessment. Conservative treatment is always favored. The less they spend on you the higher their profit or the higher their quota to expenditure is ( if theyre state employees). Especially if the quality of healthcare is poor or mediocre. Like public health care providers. If most doctors were serious about their diagnosis, they'd offer you a rudimentary screening with an simple finger oximeter( How much does it cost to lend someone an oximeter with a recording ability). When I first got my onset in the end of January. And visisted the local GP here. Despite being so worn-out, I looked just like I had come back from fighting a world war and barely being able to produce a coherent sentence. She told me to go walk it off.
Last edited by tiredandscared on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Not the science of medicine, per se, but mathematics. I see.

gasp

Post by gasp » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:51 pm

So true, bodybuilders with highly over developed bodies with crushing amounts of body muscle and huge necks can have OSA issues. Or be just like the rest of the public with undiagnosed or untreated apnea. Look at Mike Jenkins. We'll never know, but both probably contributed to his death.

I personally am in no danger of having an overly developed neck. I don't have enough desire or discipline

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:56 am

tiredandscared wrote: They make a cost assessment. Conservative treatment is always favored. The less they spend on you the higher their profit or the higher their quota to expenditure is ( if theyre state employees). Especially of the quality of healthcare is poor or mediocre. Like public health care providers. If most doctors were serious. They'd atleast offer you basic diagnostic tools( how much does it cost to lend someone a a oximeter with recording ability). When I first got my onset in the end of January. And went to the local GP here. Despite looking like I'd just have come back from fighting a world war and barely being able to speak. She told me to go walk it off.

I wish my long time doctor had been a bit more active in her thinking. She treated me for over 2 years for high blood pressure with a variety of medications and very little success. She kept warning me that I was at high risk of a stroke. She never asked about my sleep. Not once. And get this, my mom had had sleep apnea for 20 years, and she was my mom's doctor too. I had to ask her for the sleep study. And then found out I was severe. I could have relief ears earlier, and probably not gotten as bad with the high blood pressure, if she had just asked me about my sleep or recommended a sleep study. I had to learn about the link between sleep apnea and high blood pressure from the news.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:41 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
tiredandscared wrote: They make a cost assessment. Conservative treatment is always favored. The less they spend on you the higher their profit or the higher their quota to expenditure is ( if theyre state employees). Especially of the quality of healthcare is poor or mediocre. Like public health care providers. If most doctors were serious. They'd atleast offer you basic diagnostic tools( how much does it cost to lend someone a a oximeter with recording ability). When I first got my onset in the end of January. And went to the local GP here. Despite looking like I'd just have come back from fighting a world war and barely being able to speak. She told me to go walk it off.

I wish my long time doctor had been a bit more active in her thinking. She treated me for over 2 years for high blood pressure with a variety of medications and very little success. She kept warning me that I was at high risk of a stroke. She never asked about my sleep. Not once. And get this, my mom had had sleep apnea for 20 years, and she was my mom's doctor too. I had to ask her for the sleep study. And then found out I was severe. I could have relief ears earlier, and probably not gotten as bad with the high blood pressure, if she had just asked me about my sleep or recommended a sleep study. I had to learn about the link between sleep apnea and high blood pressure from the news.
One should never rely on the opinion of one Dr. They're humans. And human ability greatly varies. Their diagnostic ability, areas of expertise, understanding varies greatly from one practioneer to another. I guess I'm a little luckier than most that I found out earlier (not a great consolation when you're losing your cognitive function, but still).

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:47 am

tiredandscared wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote:

One should never rely on the opinion of one Dr. They're humans. And human ability greatly varies. Their diagnostic ability, areas of expertise, understanding varies greatly from one practioneer to another. I guess I'm a little luckier than most that I found out earlier (not a great consolation when you're losing your cognitive function, but still).
I just thought we had to keep working at the right medicine combo for the blood pressure. I had no idea what caused it, had no idea how serious sleep apnea can be, or that I should go to a different doctor. I thought things were going fairly well. Back then, I had no idea how bad my sleep was. I thought I slept fine, just not long enough. I am a severe night owl, so frequently stay up too late to get 8 hours. Going to bed early results in me tossing and turning and not seeping, so don't fight it anymore. I wait until I am ready to sleep.

I also had no idea how bad some of her medicine choices were until I changed doctors. She looked over my meds and made some changes. I felt noticeably better in a week. Apparently, the blood pressure medicine was making my asthma worse. And my asthma medication was prescribed as needed for when I had bad days (reasonably rare), but needs to be used daily to get any effect (and it did help when I started using it daily).

Just like it is hard to know that sleep apnea has been creeping up on you over the years, it is sometimes difficult to know that your doctor has gone downhill over the years.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:56 am

I tried to get a sleep study, nineteen years earlier, but my HMO
FAKED it! Probably to avoid the expenses.
An HMO Is worse than Medicaid, and then you have to PAY for it!
Total rip off!

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:44 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I tried to get a sleep study, nineteen years earlier, but my HMO
FAKED it! Probably to avoid the expenses.
An HMO Is worse than Medicaid, and then you have to PAY for it!
Total rip off!
So sorry that happened. Never let poor health off the hook. The faster you find out the more likely you'll avoid adverse effects.

Worldwar2

Post by Worldwar2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:36 pm

tiredandscared wrote:One should never rely on the opinion of one Dr. They're humans. And human ability greatly varies. Their diagnostic ability, areas of expertise, understanding varies greatly from one practioneer to another. I guess I'm a little luckier than most that I found out earlier (not a great consolation when you're losing your cognitive function, but still).
Yes, doctors are no longer god like people. Must advocate on your own behalf.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Worldwar2 wrote:
tiredandscared wrote:One should never rely on the opinion of one Dr. They're humans. And human ability greatly varies. Their diagnostic ability, areas of expertise, understanding varies greatly from one practioneer to another. I guess I'm a little luckier than most that I found out earlier (not a great consolation when you're losing your cognitive function, but still).
Yes, doctors are no longer god like people. Must advocate on your own behalf.
The big problem is, is at that point you are usually least able to do it because you are sick, tired and scared. Plus the ones with the god complex will often intimidate you into complying by threatening subtly to cut off you meds and access.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Worldwar2

Post by Worldwar2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:50 pm

[quote="BlackSpinner"The big problem is, is at that point you are usually least able to do it because you are sick, tired and scared. Plus the ones with the god complex will often intimidate you into complying by threatening subtly to cut off you meds and access.[/quote]

Someone can advocate on your behalf - family, friends. Never heard of doctors cutting off meds because you didn't listen to them. You can always change doctors.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:29 am

I have upped my mileage with my new bike. I noticed that my sleep is deeper. This goes to show that I might be able to beat the OSA on my own if I never get the mask from DME. I'm focused on becoming an elite rider. If I can reach my maximum potential, I will sure be a lot lighter.

I suggest anyone that is overweight to start riding bikes and do whatever you can for health and fitness. You just might beat it. Sleep apnea is a breathing problem. When you're cardio is better, you breathe easier and deeper. I did more than 45 miles twice last week. I noticed my breathing is already getting deeper. So I'm really, really trying to just take matters into my own hands and beat this.

When and if I'm able to cure it, I will inform you. I guess I'll have to do a test later on to show I don't have it. If it does work, I hope that it will inspire some of you to do the same. Even if fitness and weight loss doesn't cure your OSA, it most likely will reduce it significantly. I'd like to know the percentage of Professional Cyclists who have OSA.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:13 am

Warning to new people. Enchanter doesn't know what he is talking about. I thought I was a deep sleeper, woke up only once during my sleep study. I had 273 events during in less than 2 1/2 hours. AHI of 79. There is no way for us to know how many events we are having when we are asleep. I thought I was sleeping well. I had no idea how crappy my sleep really was. '

Enchanter has barely attempted to use a machine. Not sure if he has even had a full night with one. He really has no idea whether he had fewer events or not,. He perceives that he slept better, and it could have been better. But fewer memories of waking up doesn't mean fewer events. In fact, we tend to have more events in deep sleep and REM, so deeper sleep can results in more events if not being treated with cpap.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:48 am

Not to mention the fact that science has not said apnea is cured by exercise. Or the fact most of us here are past middle age and unlikely to ride bicycles to the extent that he does. Though exercise for anyone is a very good thing of course.