Poll Re: Apnea and Your Weight

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What is Your Weight?

My Weight is Ideal
21%
1 - 24 Pounds Overweight
21%
25 - 49 Pounds Overweight
18%
50 - 74 Pounds Overweight
16%
75 - 99 Pounds Overweight
6%
100 + Pounds Overweight
19%

Total votes: 145

Heart Jumping

Poll Re: Apnea and Your Weight

Post by Heart Jumping » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:50 pm

I've read that there is often a correlation between being overweight and suffering from apnea. I know that anyone can have apnea and that it is not caused by being overweight, but there is a correlation. I'd like to do an informal poll here to see how many here are overweight. In my case I'm about about 50 pounds overweight.

Thanks

Goofproof

Re: Poll Re: Apnea and Your Weight

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:04 am

You want to know our weight and you can't even figure out your gender. Did you marry a Kardashian too. Jim

I didn't answer, you didn't have enough options, and I hate polls, and especially useless ones.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:18 am

The fact is that weight contributes to sleep apnea. Now sleep apnea can also contribute to weight and so that is what makes it a vicious cycle.

Now OSA contributes to weight gain too, but that doesn't mean you can't overcome it if you work hard enough. You might have to work 3 times as hard to get the results you need. But it can be done. That's why I'm gonna get a new bike, one I can last for 3 hours a day in. I believe I need to be in near olympic athlete shape or at least my genetic potential to overcome OSA.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:43 am

Goofproof wrote:You want to know our weight and you can't even figure out your gender. Did you marry a Kardashian too. Jim

I didn't answer, you didn't have enough options, and I hate polls, and especially useless ones.
I'm sorry I didn't include enough options for you, I'm planning on doing another poll on mental outlook, I'll make sure and include an option for "miserable and unhappy" so there's an option for you.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:50 am

Don't let my selection of being overweight give the wrong impression. I was symptomatic of sleep apnea long before I was overweight. Everything I've read about the hormone changes in sleep apnea and sleep deprivation lend to weight gain. Besides the stress hormones and appetite hormones being out of whack, there's the tiredness factor that makes activity difficult. So often we go for years before the accruing damage becomes recognizable, so assigning blame to weight is can be tricky.

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:00 am

kteague wrote:Don't let my selection of being overweight give the wrong impression. I was symptomatic of sleep apnea long before I was overweight. Everything I've read about the hormone changes in sleep apnea and sleep deprivation lend to weight gain. Besides the stress hormones and appetite hormones being out of whack, there's the tiredness factor that makes activity difficult. So often we go for years before the accruing damage becomes recognizable, so assigning blame to weight is can be tricky.
Thank you, good information. One of the things I've fought for years is fatigue and lack of real energy!

Thanks to Enchanter for the info as well.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:38 am

Considering that many of us went 10+ years without treatment, it is kind of difficult to get decent data. I mean, I was normal weight in grade school and high school. About 10 lbs over when I started college, a little more when I finished college. And heavier now. But when did my sleep apnea start? I didn't snore in high school or college, but I had some of the symptoms back in high school, and I definitely had sleep deprivation in college (due to being a night owl and having early classes).

Posting my weight now with 15-25 years of sleep apnea history makes no sense if you are trying to see if weight causes sleep apnea. It does not represent my situation when my sleep apnea started.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Heart Jumping

Post by Heart Jumping » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:08 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:Considering that many of us went 10+ years without treatment, it is kind of difficult to get decent data. I mean, I was normal weight in grade school and high school. About 10 lbs over when I started college, a little more when I finished college. And heavier now. But when did my sleep apnea start? I didn't snore in high school or college, but I had some of the symptoms back in high school, and I definitely had sleep deprivation in college (due to being a night owl and having early classes).

Posting my weight now with 15-25 years of sleep apnea history makes no sense if you are trying to see if weight causes sleep apnea. It does not represent my situation when my sleep apnea started.
I agree with everything you've said, as I said in my first post, I'm just interested in the correlation for those willing to answer.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:28 am

Hmmm is this supposed to be when I started CPAP? Or sometime along the 9 years I've used it? Or way back when my symptoms started more than 20 years ago but never got tested. No correlation can be obtained from such a poll.
Last edited by Krelvin on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:49 am

Incomplete poll, ignores people who are UNDERWEIGHT!
Nobody is clear-headed that early in the morning, so not your fault.
It's really hell to have insomnia and be BORED at the same time.
Totally sucks!
But did you have to SHARE?
Edit: PS, I lied. Looking at the numbers, I bet a few others did, too.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:22 am

Not to mention, this idea of polling weight, is done every few months, with the same results.

Other factors make any corrolation of this poll flawed. Back when our weight was in line with it the norm, we were younger, more active (Bulletproof) Most of us didn't start out life with sagging boobs, and flabby arms, life and gravity gave us those, muscle tone lessens as we age, If it didn't, many of us wouldn't have sleep apnea, or be over our ideal weigh.

Sure, if we didn't have life to take care of, we could be more active, work out, exercise, run marathons. Then our bodies would look better, except for the problem of the excessive wear on our body causing the need for knee & hip replacements ect. In the old days, we had to do physical work to earn a living, (Hunting & Gathering all day, fighting off wild animals and other tribes). We also lived to the ripe old age of 35 to 40. Now the government just mails out our entitlement checks, and we take or chances opening the envelope. (Paper cuts)

A large percentage of the U.S., do get some exercize, pulling their heads out of the sand, shaking the sand out of their ears, then promptly reincerting into the sand again. (Sheeple) Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:52 pm

There is nothing to be learned from a poll like this because it is flawed at the outset by making the assumption that excess weight is the cause of sleep apnea. It's probably one of the causes, but sleep apnea is multi-factoral, and it may be that in many cases sleep apnea causes weight gain. So perhaps blaming excess weight for apnea is like blaming the firemen for the fire.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:04 pm

If some stranger (or even someone I KNEW) asked me my weight,
I would be offended. It is a very personal matter.
Now if someone chooses to leave the tag on their Levi's,
perhaps they would like to put their weight on their t-shirt.
OK to volunteer the info, but rude to ask!

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:09 pm

I didn't have apnea until I lost 30 pounds. Still overweight, but it was the weight loss that actually qualified me for a machine. Otherwise, it's just lack of oxygen due to heart issue.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Lousy insurance or dimwit doctor. IMHO