When people say "My travel machine ..."

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cardsfan

Re: When people say "My travel machine ..."

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:37 am

Thanks for all the replies and good info. I never considered duplicating my original machine. I already have duplicates of the hose, mask, filters etc. That's a good idea. Plus I am used to the sound it makes, (very minimal).

galnextor

Post by galnextor » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Kind of Along the same lines - do they make a power adapter so it can be used in a vehicle? Do battery operated ones exist? I am asking for my BIL who won't be checked for SA because he is a truck driver and couldn't plug it in. I would think there is a way ....

BTW, my husband has 2 machines and one he keeps on the night stand and one ready for travel at a moments notice. It's just the old one he had before his insurance paid for a new one.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:47 pm

galnextor wrote:Kind of Along the same lines - do they make a power adapter so it can be used in a vehicle? Do battery operated ones exist? I am asking for my BIL who won't be checked for SA because he is a truck driver and couldn't plug it in. .
yes. most brands have 12v adapters.

we've got multiple truckers on the forum using 'em in their trucks.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:48 pm

galnextor wrote:Kind of Along the same lines - do they make a power adapter so it can be used in a vehicle? Do battery operated ones exist? I am asking for my BIL who won't be checked for SA because he is a truck driver and couldn't plug it in. I would think there is a way ....

BTW, my husband has 2 machines and one he keeps on the night stand and one ready for travel at a moments notice. It's just the old one he had before his insurance paid for a new one.
Yes, I think there are several battery threads, but for the Airsense you need a converter. Don't quote me on that! I don't camp any longer, so don't need a battery, but I can see why your BIL might need one.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:14 am

I hated unplugging all the cords & packing it up every time I traveled for business or on vacation.. My travel machine is a duplicate of my primary machine (Resmed S9 VPAP), including the H5i humidifier. I bought it brand new from second wind outside of insurance with a tax refund check.

When I get home from traveling, the humidity tank gets cleaned and put back in the case. When I need to travel, all I have to do it put my mask in the bag and I'm ready to go.

it also acts as my emergency back-up machine in the event that my main machine ever fails.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:41 pm

SewTired wrote:
galnextor wrote:Kind of Along the same lines - do they make a power adapter so it can be used in a vehicle? Do battery operated ones exist? I am asking for my BIL who won't be checked for SA because he is a truck driver and couldn't plug it in. I would think there is a way ....

Yes, I think there are several battery threads, but for the Airsense you need a converter. Don't quote me on that! I don't camp any longer, so don't need a battery, but I can see why your BIL might need one. :)
ResMed sells a 12volt doc to 24 volt doc converter for their S9's. The 10's may need the same thing. The dc converter is much better than using an inverter, so that's the direction I went.

ALF

Post by ALF » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:17 am

My travel machine is my old ResMed S8 Elite CPAP, which I replaced with a Respironics System One APAP. The S8 is a little more compact (sans humidifier), and I don't have to take apart my everyday machine when I go traveling. With slimline tubing and an Airfit P10 mask, the whole thing fits into a small bag. that is easily tossed into my luggage (of course, about 15% of the time, some TSA guy demands that I take it out so he can figure out whether or not it's a bomb). Only downside: the S8 w/o humidifier is much noisier than my Sys One w/ humidifier.

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"
- Ernest Hemingway

The Choker

Post by The Choker » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:55 am

ALF wrote:some TSA guy demands that I take it out so he can figure out whether or not it's a bomb
No ... so he can justify his job and feel important.
T.C.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:52 am

The Choker wrote:
ALF wrote:some TSA guy demands that I take it out so he can figure out whether or not it's a bomb
No ... so he can justify his job and feel important.
And most S-8's, won't shoot back. Jim

A cheaper solution, make sure your machine has the ability to run on 12 volt d/c, WITHOUT a costly adapter.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire