Worried about extreme tightness in chest during day

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DeepFriedDuck

On This Day

Post by DeepFriedDuck » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:45 am

On This Day

29th July 1974, Mamas And The Papas singer Cass Elliot died in her sleep from a heart attack after playing a sold out show in London, England. She was staying at Harry Nilson's London flat when she died. Her solo hits included 'Dream a Little Dream of Me,' which also featured the rest of The Mamas and The Papas and 'It's Getting Better'. Had also been a member of The Mugwumps.

Julie

Re: Worried about extreme tightness in chest during day

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:17 am

Don't you think some explanation might be in order to go with your post? You may assume she died because of apnea, but where (and I read the stories way back) does it actually say so somewhere?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:42 am

Such as, why here and not in a new thread. In 41 years many have died, some even from Sleep Apnea, but most from other causes. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:48 pm

She had a heart attack--and the classic Pickwickian body type.
Connect the dots.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:51 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Pickwickian body type
Wonder how many make the connection to what that is...
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:She had a heart attack--and the classic Pickwickian body type.
Connect the dots.
She also probably had access to the finest drugs money could buy. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:13 am

I've been on my machine inconsistently for 5 days now. for the last couple, I've been feeling that chest tightness. Towards night, when its getting close to bedtime, it seems to get worse, though feel it all day (now included). Last night i felt a burning in the middle of my chest and the tightening got worse. I came here and stumbled across this thread, and even clicked the link someone posted to the mayo clinic on heart attack signs. Of course, the discomfort seemed to increase at that point. So, I decided to err on the side of caution and have my wife take me to the ER to get checked. It was 10:30pm so I couldn't go to my regular Dr. I got the EKG, a chest X-ray, two rounds of blood work 90 min apart and of course the vitals tested. They also gave me what they called a "GI cocktail" that would numb the GI tract (to check for heartburn). And of course a battery of questions. The GI cocktail took care of the burning and relaxed the chest pressure. The Dr. said the EKG was perfect. The vitals, blood pressure, heart rate, O2 saturation were perfect. The Xray clean. The Dr. said it's probably anxiety over the CPAP machine. Said I had no signs of cardiac events and that I am in excellent health. He did say, it was a good decision to come in to be sure it wasn't serious, but that I'm fine and he wants me to see a cardiologist anyway to be evaluated. I figured I wouldn't sleep and I'd get just more anxious if I didn't go, plus, I felt a lot better after going. So that leads me to, I'd really like to know more about the chest heaviness. I'd say it kind of feels like when you're at altitude and moderately exerting. Doesn't hurt, but just feels kind of tight. I don't have any shortness of breath or anything like that. I am convinced I have anxiety about the machine but I'm willing to try and fight through that. But, I really want to know, does using it, having your respiratory system work with that higher pressure than ambient pressure have something to do with it? Is it like working out and it's just a little "sore" and will go away with use of the machine? If so, (I know everyone is different), but I'd like to hear from people how long that takes. I want this to work but this discomfort is annoying and makes me not want to use it. I plan to go to the cardiologist and get evaluated so on the physical side I've got that covered. I just want to know if this is another one of those things about CPAP that I need to deal with. My DME was pretty good compared to the stories I've heard but he isn't a CPAP user so could only focus on the machine and not me using it so much. One last thing, does anyone use the ramp up feature and is this a good thing? I feel like those first few minutes adjusting to the pressure are the toughest. Thanks for any help anyone might have.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:32 am

Tdub210 wrote:does using it, having your respiratory system work with that higher pressure than ambient pressure have something to do with it? Is it like working out and it's just a little "sore" and will go away with use of the machine? If so, (I know everyone is different), but I'd like to hear from people how long that takes.
Yes, you are working chest muscles that haven't been worked very much because you are exhaling against pressure. How long does it take? Well, that depends on how long it takes for those muscles to get past being sore from the extra work. It's like everything with CPAP...comes with a big YMMV sticker.
From what I have read and heard...usually a couple of weeks but a lot depends on what pressure you are exhaling against.

Using the ramp or not using the ramp...that's a personal choice.
If it helps lessen the anxiety and increases comfort so that you can get to sleep more easily and more quickly...use it. Once you are past the adjustment phase you may find that you don't need or want it or maybe you need it and want it for a shorter period of time.
Or heck you might want to use it but start it out a little higher. Lots of options.

I am of the opinion that for now the primary goal is getting to sleep and staying asleep...the adjustment part of sleeping with all this stuff attached to us and anything is fair game if it helps us get to sleep easier and faster.

I know you probably find it hard to believe but eventually you probably will come to the point that this hurricane that you feel you are facing at the beginning of the night will become nothing more than a gentle breeze but it does take some time. We are all different though so we can't give you an exact timeline to look forward to.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:28 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tdub210 wrote:does using it, having your respiratory system work with that higher pressure than ambient pressure have something to do with it? Is it like working out and it's just a little "sore" and will go away with use of the machine? If so, (I know everyone is different), but I'd like to hear from people how long that takes.
Yes, you are working chest muscles that haven't been worked very much because you are exhaling against pressure. How long does it take? Well, that depends on how long it takes for those muscles to get past being sore from the extra work. It's like everything with CPAP...comes with a big YMMV sticker.
From what I have read and heard...usually a couple of weeks but a lot depends on what pressure you are exhaling against.

Using the ramp or not using the ramp...that's a personal choice.
If it helps lessen the anxiety and increases comfort so that you can get to sleep more easily and more quickly...use it. Once you are past the adjustment phase you may find that you don't need or want it or maybe you need it and want it for a shorter period of time.
Or heck you might want to use it but start it out a little higher. Lots of options.

I am of the opinion that for now the primary goal is getting to sleep and staying asleep...the adjustment part of sleeping with all this stuff attached to us and anything is fair game if it helps us get to sleep easier and faster.

I know you probably find it hard to believe but eventually you probably will come to the point that this hurricane that you feel you are facing at the beginning of the night will become nothing more than a gentle breeze but it does take some time. We are all different though so we can't give you an exact timeline to look forward to.
Thank you Pugsy. Like I said, I've read enough here to know everyone is different. It's just very helpful to hear people say certain things are normal. That gentle breeze seems to come to me at about 5 min of having the mask on. Getting to that point is the toughest. I guess "a couple of weeks" or a week or a few days, from various people is comforting. Also to know that others feel it to so it's not just me or something wrong.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Tdub210 wrote:It's just very helpful to hear people say certain things are normal. That gentle breeze seems to come to me at about 5 min of having the mask on. Getting to that point is the toughest. I guess "a couple of weeks" or a week or a few days, from various people is comforting. Also to know that others feel it to so it's not just me or something wrong.
This sounds to me like you are having difficulty with a low ramp setting. Check out your ramp setting and time. You may want to increase you starting ramp pressure. Do you know your settings?
This will help the anxiety maybe but the sore muscles will take time just like any new muscle use.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:06 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
Tdub210 wrote:It's just very helpful to hear people say certain things are normal. That gentle breeze seems to come to me at about 5 min of having the mask on. Getting to that point is the toughest. I guess "a couple of weeks" or a week or a few days, from various people is comforting. Also to know that others feel it to so it's not just me or something wrong.
This sounds to me like you are having difficulty with a low ramp setting. Check out your ramp setting and time. You may want to increase you starting ramp pressure. Do you know your settings?
This will help the anxiety maybe but the sore muscles will take time just like any new muscle use.
My settings are 6-18. The highest it's gotten to is 8 but I haven't used it successfully enough to rely on that much yet. Leakage is 25. I haven't used the ramp feature yet but I'm going to give it a try today. I'll try it out for a bit during the day and see how it goes tonight. I do know at the 6 pressure, after about 5 min I don't feel a thing. I have even had to put my hand over the exhaust vent to make sure the machine was still pumping air. So, I know I adjust to it, it's just getting there. And of course, feeling that tension during the day. I really want that to subside. The Dr. gave me something for anxiety so I'll take that before bed tonight as well. Are the ramp feature settings usually adjustable? I don't think my manual makes mention of that

Susie Kay

Post by Susie Kay » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Tdub210 wrote:My settings are 6-18. The highest it's gotten to is 8
Tdub210 wrote:at the 6 pressure, after about 5 min I don't feel a thing.
Those are very low pressures.
Pugsy wrote:you are working chest muscles that haven't been worked very much because you are exhaling against pressure.
I don't see how pressures that low could cause sore breathing muscles.

Tdub, What kind of physical shape are you in? Could you climb the stairs in a three-story building?

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:46 pm

The lowest pressure on machines is 4, so if your low setting is 6, I don't see much point in using the ramp at all for any length of time - all you'll do is make it harder to breathe until the machine gets to 6, which is so low as it is... I personally would move that to at least 7 or 8.