[Poll] and Seeking advice on Swift FX and AirFit P10

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Which nasal pillow mask do you use? These are the top 9 from cpap.com.

Swift FX
16%
AirFit P10
67%
GoLife
No votes
Breeze SleepGear
No votes
Nuance & Nuance Pro
5%
TAP PAP
1%
Opus 360
No votes
Mirage Swift
No votes
Aloha Nasal
3%
I use a mask not listed above - add in reply
7%

Total votes: 73

Pugsy

Re: [Poll] and Seeking advice on Swift FX and AirFit P10

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:29 pm

RogerSC wrote:The only other comment I think that I've heard about the Q is that it is heavier than the original Pilairo.

It's also about the only nasal pillow mask that I haven't tried *smile*.
I hadn't heard that the Q was heavier than the original but then I never tried the Q. I did get a chance to try the original with the universal headgear and it did take me a few nights to get used to the ballooning effect with my awake respiration of the pillow. The nasal pillow was also universal in size and while it fit and sealed quite nicely, I found its overall presence a bit large on my face which was just a bit annoying. Remember my own number one preference "less on my face and head" thing. It took me a few nights to get past the ballooning effect of the pillow with inhale and exhale but once I got past it I found it because much less annoying.
The Pilairo was one of those masks that I could use successfully if I wanted to but it never was a contender to knock someone out of first place for me.
The really nice feature of that nasal pillow was the openings of the inner cones. I thought they would be much more forgiving for someone with slotted nares or large nostril openings who maybe would do better with an X Large in the other nasal pillows....yet it also worked for me and I have always used either XSmall or Small in the nasal pillows. So the universal size is very forgiving.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ems

Post by ems » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:30 pm

Plus 1 for the Airfit P10. I've tried several, including the Swift, and for me it's definitely the winner. Almost no leaks and comfortable. Just be sure to get the correct size pillows, which I can use for two to three months. Mine hasn't stretched at all... and I've been using it for about a year. People who do have this problem wash it in warm water and air dry. It seems to shrink back to its original shape. My DME told me that it was the most popular mask and they had a hard time keeping it in stock.

It's a terrific mask yet I'm looking forward to the next/newest terrific mask. Always looking for the miracle mask I guess. Good luck in finding the right mask for you.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:11 pm

The Breeze was my favorite mask for years and I just got a new one. Last night, the second night with the new one, I got no sleep with it and knew I never would, so I switched back to the Airfit P10 after 2 or 3 hours. I got right to sleep. The P10 will spoil you. I now can't imagine how I stood sleeping with a football helmet (Breeze) every night. I haven't compared the new one with the old ones I had, but I think there is something different about the design that may keep it from staying in place for long. So beware that once you stray from the Breeze, you may not ever want to go back.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:45 pm

What about someone with a big head? Say...7 & 5/8?

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:17 pm

rockncountry101 wrote:What about someone with a big head? Say...7 & 5/8?
You can use the AirFit P10, if that's what you're asking. To do that, you can spread the straps apart, with the backmost one pulled down on the back of your head, and the frontmost strap pulled forward as far as you need to move it to get a good fit.

That didn't work for me, though. Being an active sleeper, I'd adjust the straps at night, and when I woke up in the morning they'd readjusted themselves. It does apparently work for a lot of people, so you could give it a try...cpap.com has free return insurance for the AirFit P10, so if it doesn't work for you in the first 30 days, you can return it and they refund your purchase price.

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:26 pm

My head size is 23.5 inches. Will the P10 fit?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:29 pm

rockncountry101 wrote:My head size is 23.5 inches. Will the P10 fit?
can you think of a few more ways to ask the same question? its ADJUSTABLE, just in a new way.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:22 pm

palerider wrote:
rockncountry101 wrote:My head size is 23.5 inches. Will the P10 fit?
can you think of a few more ways to ask the same question? its ADJUSTABLE, just in a new way.
Sorry...I didn't realize that I had posted it twice. It seems Palerider, that I get on your nerves a lot. I'm just trying to be part of this community like everyone else. Oh and also I did post this same question on another post. AND, I also posted it on another forum simply because everyone else says the band is NOT adjustable. It just stretches. Please be patient as I am learning as I go.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:27 pm

rockncountry101 wrote:because everyone else says the band is NOT adjustable. It just stretches. Please be patient as I am learning as I go.
the fact that it doesn't have velcro straps doesn't mean that it's not adjustable. watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MylY6a6KXMY

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:52 pm

palerider wrote:
rockncountry101 wrote:because everyone else says the band is NOT adjustable. It just stretches. Please be patient as I am learning as I go.
the fact that it doesn't have velcro straps doesn't mean that it's not adjustable. watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MylY6a6KXMY
I have used the P10 mask for more than a year and watched the video. The straps REALLY are not adjustable if the headgear is too small for your head to start with. Someone on the moderated board posted they have a head size of 24 inches, the headgear is too small and the nasal pillows are squashed in their nose.This indicates the headgear is way too small for them, so possibly for rockncountry, with a head size of 23.5 inches.

Rockncountry, you need to go to a DME to try on a P10 and see if it fits on your head and if you can get nasal pillows that fit you comfortably. They are not supposed to be squished in your nose, and the headgear ideally is rather loose. I have the P10 and love it, but the straps are only adjustable to the extent that they can stretch in different directions so they fit on a person's head better, if the headgear fits their head to start with. If the headgear is too small, you will be able to modify it somehow, maybe cutting the straps and using velcro to enlarge them, which I think would be feasible.

The nasal pillows are pretty durable. I have used this mask for more than a year with the same nasal pillow=, but not with the regularity of cleaning recommended in the video. I doubt I'd still be using the same mask if I did because the pillows would probably have collapsed and the straps would likely have shrunk or stretched--not sure which. My philosophy with this mask has been "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

If the headgear and nasal pillows are big enough to fit you and you can adjust to nasal pillows, this is a very good mask--very lightweight. It provides very good therapy for me and a lot of others. There are three sizes of nasal pillows with the standard Airfit P!0 (small, medium and large). You won't know if any of them fit you until you try the headgear and nasal pillows.

It won't help you at all, but there is also a P10 For Her, which people on this board who have measured both say had the same size headgear as the standard P10. The difference is that the "For Her" headgear is pink and the nasal pillow sizes are XS, Small and Medium. The standard P10 has gray/blue headgear.

I would not buy this mask with your head size unless you first try it on. It would probably need modifications to enlarge the headgear using velcro or something that would make the headgear larger for you.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:27 am

The reason that I replied that he could use the AirFit P10 and mentioned how the it's adjusted is because I also have a huge head *smile*. Hat size about 7 1/2. Don't worry, I'm tall enough to have my head not be out of scale *smile*, it's just big. Anyways, I read 7 5/8, which should also work if I could get a comfortable fit at 7 1/2.

While there may be other reasons why the AirFit P10 doesn't work for rockncountry101, I don't think that it will be head size *smile*. Cpap.com has free return insurance for it if needed...

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:23 pm

I would like to thank everyone for their input! You guys are terrific!

For me, the swift was too flexible under the nose and, at my pressure, I had too much leaking as the hose moved around. And I tried it with and without my hose hanger. I found I was often having to adjust the swift during the night and this was disturbing my sleep.

I drove up to the DME today - 30 minutes each way, since I get nowhere on the phone and returned the swift. Unfortunately, they were all out of airfits - seems they are popular! They will mail me one next week. I made a point of getting a receipt showing that I had returned the swift and they were exchanging it for an airfit. They warned me that this is it - no more exchanges! They think using their recliner for 10 minutes is a sufficient trial. Sigh... As I said, with current insurance, I have NO choice and I did check and verify this with the insurance company. So, I hope I will have the airfit next week and am back to the breeze in the meantime.

Dubbayoo

Post by Dubbayoo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:27 pm

Give strong consideration to the Swift FX Nano.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:39 pm

I've used the P10 for a couple of nights and now I understand why so many people like it! It's a tiny thing that just seems to work. There's really not much to it, and that's a good thing.

I am curious if most other P10 users are using hose hangers? It seems to work OK with one and keeps me from having to think about the hose.

The Breeze had the best hose routing - it comes from on top of your head so that it doesn't get in the way at all. But I think the P10 pillows are positioned better. When I had the swift FX, the hose moving would cause the pillows to move because there wasn't a hard supporting piece for the pillows like the P10 has.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:06 pm

yaconsult wrote:...I am curious if most other P10 users are using hose hangers? It seems to work OK with one and keeps me from having to think about the hose.

The Breeze had the best hose routing - it comes from on top of your head so that it doesn't get in the way at all....
Before the P10 I used the Swift NT. The mask hose attaches to the top of the headgear. I then route the machine hose over the head board. The hose never got in my way. I use the papCap chinstrap. It has a loop on top, to which I Velcro the P10 hose.
Even if traveling and have a bed without a good headboard, the over-the-head-routing gives me good hose management. Good luck, Earl