Two weeks in, why am I waking up during the night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PoolQ

Two weeks in, why am I waking up during the night

Post by PoolQ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Well I guess it is time to slow down on the reading and start talking. Posted below is last night, it was kind of tough. The night before AHI was 4.4 and before that it was 2.0 and all I had changed was turning Smart Start back on set to 15 minutes. The mask off times are my waking up feeling like I can't breath and getting out of bed until I calm down. I am very sensitive to feeling like I can't breath, near panic.
High humidity is a no go for me, set to 1, at 2 my sleep is worse.
I am concerned that my CA's do not seem under control and I do know that CPAP does not address them
CA 0 9 127 53 31 4 16 47 58 55 21 25 20 14 16 7 25 29
the first two numbers are from the sleep study
Hypopnea 16 17 4 2 1 0 2 5 4 4 6 6 1 2 2 1 1 7
Obstructive 0 0 4 5 6 1 1 5 2 5 1 9 2 6 4 4 1 6

SleepHead posted below

Well for my first post of my data, lets start with this and see where we go
Last edited by PoolQ on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sleeping MUCH better now

LSAT

Re: Two weeks in, at CG's request :)

Post by LSAT » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:29 pm

Most CAs are under your control. They result when you are restless and turn over a lot. When you think about it you hold your breath for a few seconds when you turn over. It's not unusual to hold your breath for 10 seconds. Try it...hold your breath and when you exhale count how many seconds until you inhale again. I can see from your graphs that you turned your machine on and off several times. That tells me you are creating the CAs. Without them your AHI is great. I think you need to put on your mask...turn on the CPAP and watch a movie on TV...Do this for several nights until your body gets used to the machine......By the way...are you using EPR? Another thought...turn off the ramp. Every time you turn on the machine, it starts at a pressure of 4...it is very hard to breath at that low pressure.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Well, I am so far from knowledgeable about this that it is funny. The 10 second test you suggested, I inhale as soon as 10 seconds are up, the urge is quite strong. Just after 7 this morning I had a cluster of CA's and OA's that lasted 15 minutes, but did not wake from that and it seems like a long time to be thrashing around causing 16 events. When I have to stay awake for 1.5 hours to calm down it seems like something pretty significant must have happened.

Around 1am the pressure went up with no events and 20 minutes later 2 CA's triggered and I woke up, perhaps just interesting and an indication that I do not yet know the subject

Thanks for you feedback! Now if I would just stay asleep or be able to get back to sleep in less than an hour and a half
Sleeping MUCH better now

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:02 pm

PoolQ wrote:Around 1am the pressure went up with no events
please arrange your charts thusly: https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize I suspect flow limitations are what caused the pressure to rise. getting rid of one of the two pressure graphs and getting th FL graph in there would answer that.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:11 pm

PoolQ wrote:Well, I am so far from knowledgeable about this that it is funny. The 10 second test you suggested, I inhale as soon as 10 seconds are up, the urge is quite strong. Just after 7 this morning I had a cluster of CA's and OA's that lasted 15 minutes, but did not wake from that and it seems like a long time to be thrashing around causing 16 events. When I have to stay awake for 1.5 hours to calm down it seems like something pretty significant must have happened.

Around 1am the pressure went up with no events and 20 minutes later 2 CA's triggered and I woke up, perhaps just interesting and an indication that I do not yet know the subject

Thanks for you feedback! Now if I would just stay asleep or be able to get back to sleep in less than an hour and a half
The reason you had no events was because the pressure went up....it stopped the events from happening.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:47 pm

I think I did this right/ well sort of how do I change it to show only a thumb nail?
Last edited by PoolQ on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sleeping MUCH better now

palerider

Re: Two weeks in, at CG's request :) graphs corrected

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:28 pm

nope, still has two pressure graphs... as to the thumbnails:

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Okay fine, I have deleted all the images in imgur and my local folder
uploaded the ONLY file in the folder
deleted temp files
pasted the link and it STILL comes up with the old image with two pressure traces
will try again later
Sleeping MUCH better now

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:57 pm

Flow limit lines up perfectly with hypopnea's and is zero with the CA's
This does not seem surprising
Sleeping MUCH better now

PoolQ

Re: Two weeks in, why am I waking up during the night

Post by PoolQ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:32 pm

bump with the correct chart now
Sleeping MUCH better now

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:52 pm

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but it looks like when your ramp time finishes you are too around the same time. The end of the chart looks like you were awake which if true would pretty much make those readings not valid.

Click for larger
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:13 pm

SO here's what is going on:
1. for the last 5 mins of the chart I was laying in bed trying to go back to sleep, I gave up and got up for the day
2. when the machine starts for the first minute or so I don't get enough air, but soon it has ramped up enough so I can keep going. I can tell exactly when this happens and I start trying to go to sleep
3. If I can't go to sleep right away, as the pressure continues to build, I start getting the feeling that I am congested. I try to relax and keep telling myself that it is just the pressure and not congestion
4. If the above works I fall asleep, if not I rip the mask off, take several deep breaths and get up until I can handle trying again
5. if the congestion feeling was not too strong, I just take the mask off and wait a couple minutes, put it back on and start the machine up

Thanks for the feedback, I would sure like to solve this
Sleeping MUCH better now

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Obviously, those settings are not doing much for you........other than seriously disturbing your sleep.

I would suggest trying some other settings.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:32 pm

PoolQ wrote:SO here's what is going on:
1. for the last 5 mins of the chart I was laying in bed trying to go back to sleep, I gave up and got up for the day
2. when the machine starts for the first minute or so I don't get enough air, but soon it has ramped up enough so I can keep going. I can tell exactly when this happens and I start trying to go to sleep
3. If I can't go to sleep right away, as the pressure continues to build, I start getting the feeling that I am congested. I try to relax and keep telling myself that it is just the pressure and not congestion
4. If the above works I fall asleep, if not I rip the mask off, take several deep breaths and get up until I can handle trying again
5. if the congestion feeling was not too strong, I just take the mask off and wait a couple minutes, put it back on and start the machine up

Thanks for the feedback, I would sure like to solve this
2. raise the start pressure
3. try auto ramp

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks!
Auto is now on and the start changed from 4 to 5. That should take care of the not enough air at the start (didn't know I could set that) and the auto should keep me from trying to force sleep start which is kind of self defeating.
I always intended to go back and tweak the "softer settings" once the apnea's got handled, I guess I am at that point now and didn't recognize it.
Sleeping MUCH better now