new sleep challenge- heart attack

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
n0hardmask

new sleep challenge- heart attack

Post by n0hardmask » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:30 am

well, surprise. with only enough warning to get to the ER, i suffered a major heart attack on Mon 6th. My only ongoing indicator was high cholesterol, and growing fatigue.
This has been a life changer- never have I felt so weak, especially coming home to mid-90's heat. Although as far as the heart goes, I think they did all the right things, they did not address my need for APAP. My son surprised me by coming in mid week, and he brought my xPAP equipment
I was to get out Sat am, but arythm events meant they put me on some more meds and kept me past noon Tuesday. I'm still not getting out much, so replies will be spotty for me. Thanks again for all the support I've gotten here at CpapTalk. earl

Don't know what I did to hide the Equipment?! new SleepWeaver Anew-NOT hard!, Quattro ffm, S9 VPAP ADAPT. Sobakawa bead pillow
Sleepyhead, Rescan4; ZEO Bedside -not used
Serenity
Newbies:Log in; then please input your equipment 2 your profile.

Sleeprider

Re: new sleep challenge- heart attack

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:42 am

You get a second chance! Glad to see you're still with us. I have had friends that suffered heart attacks that went on to become more fit and better than ever. So did you get some new plumbing and a mark of distinguished accomplishment on your chest?

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:58 am

Happened backwards for me, no surprise. Double bypass and two stents, 6 months later I "discovered" I had sleep apnea for years before. Just a note from my treatment plan, I signed up for a cardio rehab program (they say 40% reduction in having a 2nd "event"), best thing I ever did. I thought I knew how to exercise, wrong. I now walk at cardio speed and can tell by the other walkers I see who has and has not been schooled about cardio exercise.

Just suggesting that you do your homework on the cardio side like you do on the apnea side. For me it got me into better shape then before the event and doing as much if not more.

PS. eight weeks to exercising with 5 pound weights, take it slow, but take it none the less.
Sleeping MUCH better now

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Tough situation... glad you sought help asap. Hope you get better soon!

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:38 pm

I am so sorry to hear this, but glad you are on the mend. Please take good care and post when you are up to it.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:40 pm

You have "walked through the valley of the shadow of death..."

Well, with that crossed off your bucket list you can now go on and enjoy life.

Now it's time to rebuild your body toward better health.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:24 am

Scary stuff. Glad you're on the other side of it working on getting better.

n0hardmask

Post by n0hardmask » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks for all the encouragement. No open heart, two stints via a tender spot that is still sore 2 weeks later. I'll never forget the chest drain, though. When it came time to remove it, the MD ask for some cutting tool to cut the stitches, then without a word, rips out that monster. I think it surprised me more than it hurt, but no picnic.

The irony is, I had had 2 stress tests done in past 10 years, and both came out fine. So wheen it came time, I failed to believe what my body was telling me- for a few moments. Then reality kicked in: I'm having a heart attack or stroke.

I begin cardiac rehab this Thursday, which ought to be interesting given that I had back fusion surgery on June 1st. Thank Y'all for the suppport.
Sleeprider wrote:You get a second chance! Glad to see you're still with us. I have had friends that suffered heart attacks that went on to become more fit and better than ever. So did you get some new plumbing and a mark of distinguished accomplishment on your chest?

Don't know what I did to hide the Equipment?! new SleepWeaver Anew-NOT hard!, Quattro ffm, S9 VPAP ADAPT. Sobakawa bead pillow
Serenity

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:59 am

n0hardmask wrote:Thanks for all the encouragement. No open heart, two stints via a tender spot that is still sore 2 weeks later. I'll never forget the chest drain, though. When it came time to remove it, the MD ask for some cutting tool to cut the stitches, then without a word, rips out that monster. I think it surprised me more than it hurt, but no picnic.

The irony is, I had had 2 stress tests done in past 10 years, and both came out fine. So wheen it came time, I failed to believe what my body was telling me- for a few moments. Then reality kicked in: I'm having a heart attack or stroke.

I begin cardiac rehab this Thursday, which ought to be interesting given that I had back fusion surgery on June 1st. Thank Y'all for the suppport.
Never have had a heart attack though I have had a number of angiograms followed up with angioplasty and on two occasions stints put in. The method and manner of the procedures have changed quite a bit since the first one to the last. I have taken advantage of Cardiac Rehab even though I never actually had a heart attack and it was useful in both cases. Learned a lot in the exercise they set you up and make sure you take advantage of the education classes they offer.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

icipher

Post by icipher » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Did they tell you what caused your heart attack?

Blockage?
Arrhythmia?

TexasTom

Post by TexasTom » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Glad to hear all was good.

Heart Saver CT Scan... folks if you have a "heart hospital" ask them about. Here in Austin, TX they will do that for a flat fee (not insurance billed) for $200. In my case they had a big overweight guy and despite the big neck, my plaque was zero! I'm sure they had that machine calibrated after I showed up.

A close friend had minor chest pain. 98% blockage, never made it off the operating table. Just a few days shy of his 63rd Birthday, and type of person would give you the shirt off your back. Still bummed about that one!

http://www.stdavids.com/medical-service ... rtsaver-ct

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:50 pm

TexasTom wrote:Glad to hear all was good.

Heart Saver CT Scan... folks if you have a "heart hospital" ask them about. Here in Austin, TX they will do that for a flat fee (not insurance billed) for $200. In my case they had a big overweight guy and despite the big neck, my plaque was zero! I'm sure they had that machine calibrated after I showed up.
[/url]
My wife would probably approve this expenditure. Either peace of mind with a good result or a kick in the arse if not.

n0hardmask

Post by n0hardmask » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:29 pm

icipher wrote:Did they tell you what caused your heart attack?

Blockage?
Arrhythmia?
Good question, and I don't know if they know, yet. Ironically, I'm back in hospital tonight after some hiccups today. So it may begin to look like arrhythmia, but it's still up for grabs.
When the Doc came by, he said I have a weak heart following a substantial heart attack, so I (infer that) I may need to be more careful about even what driving I do.
Anyway, I did bring the CPAP this time, so I'm good there. Last i was here I got strep, so I want to exit ASAP! Thanks for the support.

Serenity

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:00 pm

I wish you all the best and hope you recover quickly.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 pm

n0hardmask wrote:Thanks for all the encouragement. No open heart, two stints via a tender spot that is still sore 2 weeks later. I'll never forget the chest drain, though. When it came time to remove it, the MD ask for some cutting tool to cut the stitches, then without a word, rips out that monster. I think it surprised me more than it hurt, but no picnic.

Sleeprider wrote:You get a second chance! Glad to see you're still with us. I have had friends that suffered heart attacks that went on to become more fit and better than ever. So did you get some new plumbing and a mark of distinguished accomplishment on your chest?
Oh I hear ya on the chest tube, I had three. Strangest feeling I have ever experience and I started out with a "sure, go ahead" well never freaking again, they will need to hit me with something strong before I let them do that again! But, I think even more fun was when they moved me from the ICU to the cardiac floor, involving a bed change. When they went to slide me over the chest tubes snagged on something and PULLED against the stitches. WOW that hurt.

Good luck and the cardiac rehab is totally worth it, I had 36 sessions of it and really learned a lot. Of course mine was just short of a full blown heart attack, 95% blocked and no heart damage. Phew. Best wishes and hang in there!
Sleeping MUCH better now