This is driving me nuts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pettyfan45

Re: This is driving me nuts

Post by pettyfan45 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:32 pm

http://www.satprnews.com/2015/07/20/is- ... eep-apnea/ Is studies like this something recent? I am wondering because I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1997 and was taking medication for it up till a couple years ago ( I stopped for two reasons I got to point it made feel so bad I couldn't stand it anymore and I had to drop out of collage so medicaid would no longer pay for it). I kept telling both doctor (the same one who told me that losing weight will cure my apnea) that I was still having issues concentrating and was feeling tired a lot (not as much as now, but there were time I started to fall asleep in class) and he would just tell to just keep taking it or would up the dose (I was taking and adult dose of Adderall XR but the age of 10 and then he also on Strattera with the Adderall). I nor my parents thought this could be from a sleep disorder and this doctor is biggest reason it took so long to get see about even getting a sleep study because I thought it was just a side effect of my ADHD and there was nothing I could do about it.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 pm

pettyfan45 wrote:http://www.satprnews.com/2015/07/20/is- ... eep-apnea/ Is studies like this something recent? I am wondering because I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1997 and was taking medication for it up till a couple years ago ( I stopped for two reasons I got to point it made feel so bad I couldn't stand it anymore and I had to drop out of collage so medicaid would no longer pay for it). I kept telling both doctor (the same one who told me that losing weight will cure my apnea) that I was still having issues concentrating and was feeling tired a lot (not as much as now, but there were time I started to fall asleep in class) and he would just tell to just keep taking it or would up the dose (I was taking and adult dose of Adderall XR but the age of 10 and then he also on Strattera with the Adderall). I nor my parents thought this could be from a sleep disorder and this doctor is biggest reason it took so long to get see about even getting a sleep study because I thought it was just a side effect of my ADHD and there was nothing I could do about it.
I mean if you can focus in school. You dont need to take the meds if you feel you can get through school without them. I also was suspected of having concentration issues and adhd. But they were entirely wrong about it. Its one of the "go-to-diagnosis" for any kids who have trouble focusing. Personally I didnt have trouble focusing( working memory was within normal range). I just had some issues with finishing home work/assignments and remembering to do them in time. Which got better as I got older. Later I found out that some executive function issues between NVLD and adhd overlap.

When I regularly exercised and ate a healthy diet and generally improved my health. The problems improved to the point where I didnt have that much of an issue. I managed doing my first months in university with no issues.
Thats what you should try. Optimize your health via life style changes+ cpap treatment. And see whether you still need adderall. Maybe you can reintroduce it at a lower dosage that is more tolerable. There are lots of options to adderall. Even nlrmslizibg your weight will help with your memory.
Last edited by tiredandscared on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sticky Fingers

Post by Sticky Fingers » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:46 pm

pettyfan45 wrote:http://www.satprnews.com/2015/07/20/is- ... eep-apnea/ Is studies like this something recent?
It has been known for at least ten years that sleep apnea can cause symptoms of ADHD in kids and adults. I doubt many doctors knew it 10 or more years ago, but many of us patients were very well aware of it.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:27 pm

tiredandscared wrote:
pettyfan45 wrote:http://www.satprnews.com/2015/07/20/is- ... eep-apnea/ Is studies like this something recent? I am wondering because I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1997 and was taking medication for it up till a couple years ago ( I stopped for two reasons I got to point it made feel so bad I couldn't stand it anymore and I had to drop out of collage so medicaid would no longer pay for it). I kept telling both doctor (the same one who told me that losing weight will cure my apnea) that I was still having issues concentrating and was feeling tired a lot (not as much as now, but there were time I started to fall asleep in class) and he would just tell to just keep taking it or would up the dose (I was taking and adult dose of Adderall XR but the age of 10 and then he also on Strattera with the Adderall). I nor my parents thought this could be from a sleep disorder and this doctor is biggest reason it took so long to get see about even getting a sleep study because I thought it was just a side effect of my ADHD and there was nothing I could do about it.
I mean if you can focus in school. You dont need to take the meds if you feel you can get through school without them. I also was suspected of having concentration issues and adhd. But they were entirely wrong about it. Its one of the "go-to-diagnosis" for any kids who have trouble focusing. Personally I didnt have trouble focusing( working memory was within normal range). I just had some issues with finishing home work/assignmenta and remembering to do them in time. Which got better as I got older. Later I found out that its a overlapping comorbid symptom of NVLD, causing deficiencies in executive function. When I regularly exercised and ate a healthy diet and generally improved my health. The problems improved to the point where I didnt have that much of an issue. I managed doing my first months in university with no issues.
Thats what you should try. Optimize your health via life style changes+ cpap treatment. And see whether you still need adderall. Maybe you can reintroduce it at a lower dosage that is more tolerable. There are lots of options to adderall. Even nlrmslizibg your weight will help with your memory.
On or off the meds I had issues concentrating and or remembering things (not for google calender on my phone I would be so boned on appointments more than a day or 2 out ). I would like to see how I can function on CPAP because to get back on my old meds without Medicaid paying for it is over $400 (that more per month than either of my parents are paying for their payments on their new cars).

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:31 pm

Sticky Fingers wrote:
pettyfan45 wrote:http://www.satprnews.com/2015/07/20/is- ... eep-apnea/ Is studies like this something recent?
It has been known for at least ten years that sleep apnea can cause symptoms of ADHD in kids and adults. I doubt many doctors knew it 10 or more years ago, but many of us patients were very well aware of it.

So either my doctor was just ignorant or was too busy racking in the kick backs from the drug makers to care...

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:46 pm

pettyfan45 wrote:
tiredandscared wrote:
I mean if you can focus in school. You dont need to take the meds if you feel you can get through school without them. I also was suspected of having concentration issues and adhd. But they were entirely wrong about it. Its one of the "go-to-diagnosis" for any kids who have trouble focusing. Personally I didnt have trouble focusing( working memory was within normal range). I just had some issues with finishing home work/assignmenta and remembering to do them in time. Which got better as I got older. Later I found out that its a overlapping comorbid symptom of NVLD, causing deficiencies in executive function. When I regularly exercised and ate a healthy diet and generally improved my health. The problems improved to the point where I didnt have that much of an issue. I managed doing my first months in university with no issues.
On or off the meds I had issues concentrating and or remembering things (not for google calender on my phone I would be so boned on appointments more than a day or 2 out ). I would like to see how I can function on CPAP because to get back on my old meds without Medicaid paying for it is over $400 (that more per month than either of my parents are paying for their payments on their new cars).
Consider joining a gym or just plain getting in shape. There is nothing more refreshing than that. They say it release dopamine and improves working memory.
Last edited by tiredandscared on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sticky Fingers

Post by Sticky Fingers » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:37 am

pettyfan45 wrote:racking in the kick backs from the drug makers
Yeah, yeah, blah, blah, Big Pharma, blah, blah, conspiracy, blah, blah, vaccines, blah, blah, Monsanto, blah, blah, greed, blah, blah, GMOs, blah, blah, Roundup, blah, blah

Sticky Fingers

Post by Sticky Fingers » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:40 am

tiredandscared wrote:Consider joining a gymmet just plain getting in shape. There is nothing more refreshing than that. They say it release dopamibe and improves working memory.
ESL no doubt.

I'll say this, I can be dead tired and falling asleep at 6:00 p.m. and a visit to the gym gets me wide awake and energetic until 11:00 p.m. Then I can relax in bed and fall asleep quickly.

Weight training seems to be better than the treadmills and ellipticals.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:25 pm

So at time of posting, I have not heard from the Nurse Practitioner after she had me do the thyroid test. I was wondering at what point should I contact her office if she has seen the results yet?

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:25 pm

Right away. If it's too soon, they'll tell you when to call back... or ask for a time.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Julie wrote:Right away. If it's too soon, they'll tell you when to call back... or ask for a time.
Well the results are available on the hospital online medical records, so she should seem it by now

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:20 pm

So I will be having another sleep study. It has not been scheduled yet, but I guessing it will be in like 2 months see how long the wait for my last one was. I wish the there was more than one sleep lab here or if they had more than 6 beds

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:36 pm

pettyfan45 wrote:So I will be having another sleep study. It has not been scheduled yet, but I guessing it will be in like 2 months see how long the wait for my last one was. I wish the there was more than one sleep lab here or if they had more than 6 beds
Ask to be put on a waiting list. It is common for the lab to get cancellations. Often people cancel at the last minute. Keep your bag packed and be ready to go.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:05 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
pettyfan45 wrote:So I will be having another sleep study. It has not been scheduled yet, but I guessing it will be in like 2 months see how long the wait for my last one was. I wish the there was more than one sleep lab here or if they had more than 6 beds
Ask to be put on a waiting list. It is common for the lab to get cancellations. Often people cancel at the last minute. Keep your bag packed and be ready to go.
If I get on the waiting list will I still have my appointment in case I can't make it for any of the cancellations or would I just stay on the waiting list?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:32 pm

pettyfan45 wrote:will I still have my appointment
Yesss! Don't cancel your appointment!