This is driving me nuts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: This is driving me nuts

Post by Julie » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:44 pm

What??

You're mental!

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:11 pm

A bit of an update: I have an appointment with the nurse practitioner Friday, so hopefully she set me up with another sleep study and or looking into putting me on CPAP...

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:52 am

Ok just got done with the nurse practitioner and she want to check my thyroid first and if that comes back fine then she wants me to do a repeat sleep study. For the sleep swould it be mess anything up if I bring like advil pm or something like that (as long as I let the tech know of course) to help me sleep if I trouble falling asleep this time too?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:26 pm

An Ambien might be more appropriate (useful and won't skew things), but you could always ask them re Advil, etc.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Ok so I was able to check the results of the thyroid test they had me do yesterday online (oh the times we live in... ) and it looks like there is nothing wrong with it, so I will be getting a call Monday or Tuesday about having another sleep study. I know should ask my doctor about ambien in case I have trouble falling asleep again, is there anything else I should ask about?

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:43 pm

pettyfan45 wrote:Ok so I was able to check the results of the thyroid test they had me do yesterday online (oh the times we live in... ) and it looks like there is nothing wrong with it, so I will be getting a call Monday or Tuesday about having another sleep study. I know should ask my doctor about ambien in case I have trouble falling asleep again, is there anything else I should ask about?
Tell the sleep tech or don't tell the sleep tech about it. Use your discretion. It's no big deal, you are probably better off letting the tech know. If you don't have Ambien get it from your doctor- fire the doctor if request is refused. It is an utter and complete waste of time if you don't sleep during the test.

I knocked myself out with a small dose of tranq and double-dose of Ambien. Night went very smoothly, split-night test. Barely remember being placed on the mask.

Next day felt a bit doped from the medication, had breakfast at the hospital with plenty of coffee, and did not feel anything other than I had felt when in my 20's or 30's the entire day and evening. Truly remarkable, as I was 65 years old at time of the study with BMI of 30.

Best wishes,
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:34 am

tedburnsIII wrote:
pettyfan45 wrote:Ok so I was able to check the results of the thyroid test they had me do yesterday online (oh the times we live in... ) and it looks like there is nothing wrong with it, so I will be getting a call Monday or Tuesday about having another sleep study. I know should ask my doctor about ambien in case I have trouble falling asleep again, is there anything else I should ask about?
Tell the sleep tech or don't tell the sleep tech about it. Use your discretion. It's no big deal, you are probably better off letting the tech know. If you don't have Ambien get it from your doctor- fire the doctor if request is refused. It is an utter and complete waste of time if you don't sleep during the test.

I knocked myself out with a small dose of tranq and double-dose of Ambien. Night went very smoothly, split-night test. Barely remember being placed on the mask.

Next day felt a bit doped from the medication, had breakfast at the hospital with plenty of coffee, and did not feel anything other than I had felt when in my 20's or 30's the entire day and evening. Truly remarkable, as I was 65 years old at time of the study with BMI of 30.

Best wishes,
Is it common for Ambien to make you feel doped or that just because you had a double dose and another sleep aid?

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:47 am

pettyfan45 wrote:
tedburnsIII wrote:

Best wishes,
Is it common for Ambien to make you feel doped or that just because you had a double dose and another sleep aid?
Hi pettyfan,

I have never felt doped up from taking 10mgof Ambien and I am pretty sensitive to meds. But maybe that is because I took it on a PRN basis? Anyway, it didn't work for me very well although using it got me 3 hours of sleep when I had a full scale sleep study which was enough for an apnea diagnosis.

Good luck to you.

49er

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:46 pm

49er wrote:
pettyfan45 wrote:
tedburnsIII wrote:

Best wishes,
Hi pettyfan,

I have never felt doped up from taking 10mgof Ambien and I am pretty sensitive to meds. But maybe that is because I took it on a PRN basis? Anyway, it didn't work for me very well although using it got me 3 hours of sleep when I had a full scale sleep study which was enough for an apnea diagnosis.

Good luck to you.

49er
Yeah, maybe if I would have got 3 hours of sleep during my first study I might have averaged out to the moderate range and I would be on CPAP by now.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:46 pm

pettyfan45 wrote:
49er wrote:
pettyfan45 wrote:
tedburnsIII wrote:

Best wishes,
Hi pettyfan,

Good luck to you.

49er
Yeah, maybe if I would have got 3 hours of sleep during my first study I might have averaged out to the moderate range and I would be on CPAP by now.
I have no idea why youd want have moderate sleep apnea . If anything that would have caused you alot more problems. I thank god every day whenever my oxygen desaturations dont drop below 90-89. It means i have a better chance of going back to my old self.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:20 pm

Not that I "want" moderate sleep apnea, but if I was diagnosed with it then I would not have been but though this 7 month dog and pony show of being told to just loose weight had to suffer so long.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:32 pm

obligatory useless comment:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:20 pm

Nobody really wants apnea, but it is such a relief that it can be treated without extreme intervention.
And side effects from air pressure: WHAT side effects?

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Nobody really wants apnea, but it is such a relief that it can be treated without extreme intervention.
And side effects from air pressure: WHAT side effects?
And even it there are side effect they are more than likely just unpleasant and not possibly fatal like surgery or something like that

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:30 pm

palerider wrote:obligatory useless comment:

Either way, looking forward to your next update. Your case is pretty similar to mine(23 year old with sleep apnea that wasn't detected by my home study). When I first began having problems, the GP I went to, didn't even offer any kind of sleep examination/investigation, she told me to walk it off and get out during the day .