Mask issues with high pressure...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Foxy1957

Re: Mask issues with high pressure...

Post by Foxy1957 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:21 am

I work for a DME company. I had a patient on an s10 bipap with pressures 24/20 cmwp. Too much leaking going on. Tried several different full face masks. Called the Resmed sales rep. He recommended turning the "easy breathe" to "off" and set the rise time between 600-700. Patient tried the Simplus mask, and finally got his leaks down below 24 in the 95% range. Just wanted to share, may help some out.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:51 am

Foxy1957 wrote:I work for a DME company. I had a patient on an s10 bipap with pressures 24/20 cmwp. Too much leaking going on. Tried several different full face masks. Called the Resmed sales rep. He recommended turning the "easy breathe" to "off" and set the rise time between 600-700. Patient tried the Simplus mask, and finally got his leaks down below 24 in the 95% range. Just wanted to share, may help some out.

What is an s10 bipap? If you are talking about ResMed bilevel it would be the Aircurve. Bipap is the Respironics brand but no s10. Easy Breath?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Foxy1957 wrote:I work for a DME company. I had a patient on an s10 bipap with pressures 24/20 cmwp. Too much leaking going on. Tried several different full face masks. Called the Resmed sales rep.
if this is the standard of knowledge of the average DME employee, no wonder most everybody considers them FUCKING IDIOTS.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:58 pm

So for a while I was using nasal pillows but I began to breathe a lot through my mouth and the leakage was out of control. So I switched to the Airfit F10 full face mask that I have because of this and also used the pad a cheek liner. The liner makes the leakage even worse than with the nasal pillows though, like last night it was about 45 l/min. So now I'm wondering if I just need a new full face mask? Before I get the new mask though, should I lower my pressure to keep the leakage under control? I am going to stop using the pad a cheek liner also but my pressure is 20, even without the liner my mask was leaking quite a bit. Ugh, this is all getting very frustrating. Any help or input would be appreciated.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:23 am

With silicone full face masks, my jaw was dropping when I fell asleep, causing huge leaks.
My solution was the Respironics ComfortGel full face mask, now called the Comfortgel Blue.
The cushions are soft and deep, and mine could maintain a good seal even when my jaw dropped back.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-com ... -mask.html

Zomby Woof

Post by Zomby Woof » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:58 am

joeljjk11 wrote:So for a while I was using nasal pillows but I began to breathe a lot through my mouth and the leakage was out of control. ... So now I'm wondering if I just need a new full face mask? Before I get the new mask though, should I lower my pressure to keep the leakage under control? ...
Joel,
Reducing your apparently necessary and beneficial high pressure
to solve a leak problem seems counterproductive to me.

I could never make the F10, ESON or Simplus FFM's work
at any pressure due to leaks and headache-generating headgear.

The P10 nasal pillows handled the pressure, reduced leaks
and eliminated headgear headaches.
Unfortunately it seems I'm a mouthbreathing, slack-jawed, cheek-chuffing, lip-flapper.
I know this thanks to my sweet wife who has taken particularly unattractive videos
after the noise continually awakened her.

My current solution is combining the very comfortable P10 nasal pillow mask
with mouth-taping a la Jack Bauer.
Not a solution everyone will be perfectly satisfied with,
mouth-taping enables me to cut my weekly average AHI in half.

It may be that I will learn to keep my tongue firmly sealed to
my palate and not need the tape. in the meantime it is surprisingly
little trouble for the amount of improvement that I gain.

You might consider it if you are otherwise satisfied with nasal pillows.

Best of luck!

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 am

FYI I have a sleep study tonight. My doctor is convinced that I need an ASV machine and that most of my apnea events are central. She said that software like Sleepyhead and ResScan shows the apnea events as obstructive but they are actually central. I do not snore at all and this is another reason she is thinking they are all central events. It makes sense because I was originally diagnosed as complex apnea. We will see how it goes and I will post an update.

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:35 am

Update on my situation:

My doctor analyzed my sleep study and decided that I should lower my pressure to 10-11. It was 16-20. She explained before that the machine shows the events as obstructive but they are actually central events and that my pressure is too high. Last night I tried this out and my AHI was 8.0. I also woke up a lot in the middle of the night though, I think this was because I took acetaminophen before bed because I had a headache. I never take it and I think it really affected my sleep.

I will see how I sleep tonight and over the next few days with this lower pressure. She also said that if this doesn't work I would need an ASV Machine. Any thoughts?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:49 am

As a general rule, acetaminophen helps with sleep and does not disturb sleep.

What was your leak rate last night and which mask were you using?

Which mask did you use during the study and did they mention mouthbreathing?

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:13 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:As a general rule, acetaminophen helps with sleep and does not disturb sleep.

What was your leak rate last night and which mask were you using?

Which mask did you use during the study and did they mention mouthbreathing?
Everyone is different. I take psychiatric medications that can interact with other over the counter type drugs. I know that I feel more anxious today than normal and I think it is from taking the acetaminophen last night. I am also very sensitive to things like this anyway, whether it be foods or medications. Also last night in bed I wasn't tired at all but forced myself to go to bed.

I am not sure what my leakage was but the ResMed My Air site shows little to no leakage. I was using the nasal pillows and I used them in the sleep study. I have a chin strap which helps with mouth breathing.

popcpoo

Post by popcpoo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:35 pm

My DME recommended the F&P Simplus for me. I run 20 - 25 cm IPAP and have only minor leaks with this mask. I seem to get the same amount of leaks with or without a liner.

ouds

Post by ouds » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:12 am

deforeman wrote:
joeljjk11 wrote:So for a while I was using nasal pillows but I began to breathe a lot through my mouth and the leakage was out of control. ... So now I'm wondering if I just need a new full face mask? Before I get the new mask though, should I lower my pressure to keep the leakage under control? ...
Joel,
Reducing your apparently necessary and beneficial high pressure
to solve a leak problem seems counterproductive to me.

I could never make the F10, ESON or Simplus FFM's work
at any pressure due to leaks and headache-generating headgear.

The P10 nasal pillows handled the pressure, reduced leaks
and eliminated headgear headaches.
Unfortunately it seems I'm a mouthbreathing, slack-jawed, cheek-chuffing, lip-flapper.
I know this thanks to my sweet wife who has taken particularly unattractive videos
after the noise continually awakened her.

My current solution is combining the very comfortable P10 nasal pillow mask
with mouth-taping a la Jack Bauer.
Not a solution everyone will be perfectly satisfied with,
mouth-taping enables me to cut my weekly average AHI in half.

It may be that I will learn to keep my tongue firmly sealed to
my palate and not need the tape. in the meantime it is surprisingly
little trouble for the amount of improvement that I gain.

You might consider it if you are otherwise satisfied with nasal pillows.

Best of luck!

Hi,
Great comment. What is your pressure level. I have a pretty high pressure at 20/16. I trying to research if the P10 would work for me
thanks

Whale Road

Post by Whale Road » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:16 pm

joeljjk11 wrote:because I took acetaminophen
You are worried about acetaminophen?? Forget it.

Right here is your probem:
joeljjk11 wrote: I take psychiatric medications
If you can get your CPAP therapy working properly on a consistent basis, you should discuss a gradual tapering off of this stuff with your psychiatrist or GP.

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Well I don't know what is going on but I have been anxious ever since I switched my machine settings. Just this general feeling of anxiety throughout the day and I just don't feel great overall. Also the settings that my doctor recommended did not improve my AHI, it actually made it worse. Last night it was over 12 and the few nights before that it was about 8. So now I don't know what to do. Sleepyhead and ResScan show that my apnea events are almost all obstructive but my doctor is convinced that the machine misreads this and they are actually central. Who knows at this point. I just want to get my numbers to a good level. Any suggestions as to what I should do with my machine? I have pretty much tried every setting there is and before having 10-11 for pressure settings I had 16-20.

Joel

joeljjk11

Post by joeljjk11 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:46 am

This is a disaster so far as last night my AHI was 15.5. I'm not sure what exactly my doctor is thinking as Sleepyhead shows almost all obstructive events, any help would be appreciated.

Joel