Can't get AHI below 38

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tedburnsIII

Re: Can't get AHI below 38

Post by tedburnsIII » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:06 pm

clearyt wrote:Image
Just noticed a recent post where overnight titration was NOT performed. Too bad, that may have been of help, but I am SURE that others here
will assist you in getting that AHI way down. The therapy is 100% effective, once things are tuned right and on correct machine for condition.

Best wishes, clearyt!

p.s. I think the changing of masks and still not having acceptable results make it more of a red-herring issue. It's the settings on the machine, the wrong type of machine, or both, IMHO, that's the problem.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:07 pm

You seem to have definite Cheyne Stokes respirations - something to discuss with your doctor, whatever may or may not happen here.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Put your mouse pointer over the area you want to look at and keep left clicking until you can see the individual breaths. We are looking for the breathing pattern.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

clearyt

Post by clearyt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:12 pm

No overnight lab. Took machine home and brought it back next day. It showed AHI 53. That's all the report I got. Been working with this machine ever since. Thank you so much for caring enough to study this and try to help. Have an appt with cardiologist this week, and pulmonologist in a couple. Any suggestions are so welcome.

clearyt

Post by clearyt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Julie, what do I want to look at?

clearyt

Post by clearyt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Actually meant OkyDoky what do I want to look at? Where are the breathing patterns?

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:20 pm

clearyt-

Don't get yourself in a bother or worry much with these laymen opinions re possible Cheyne-Stokes.

clearyt

Post by clearyt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks Ted. I do want to be able to have an intelligent conversation with the dr., while not trying to self diagnose! So I do appreciate the suggestions of possibilities folks see on the chart, that might help find a solution. Reaching the end of patience!!

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:29 pm

The section labeled flow rate is where you see your breathing but since it is so time compressed it just looks like a wide black area. If you put your pointer over an area say at 3:40 and left click you will zoom in and if you want to go back you right click.

What I would do is print out a few nights screenshots and the overview screen and take them to both the cardiologist and pulmonologist.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Cleary I'm so sorry - TB III's comment was directed at me (indirectly) and is appalling considering your health is at stake. C-S respirations can be indicative of some serious stuff and as you're seeing your doctors this week you'll be able to find out all you need. Not necessarily saying you're in a dire way at all, but should be checked out.

And btw TB - I'm not a lay person in the med world - spent my entire working life there.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:50 pm

Julie wrote:Cleary I'm so sorry - TB III's comment was directed at me (indirectly) and is appalling considering your health is at stake. C-S respirations can be indicative of some serious stuff and as you're seeing your doctors this week you'll be able to find out all you need. Not necessarily saying you're in a dire way at all, but should be checked out.

And btw TB - I'm not a lay person in the med world - spent my entire working life there.
Are you a board certified sleep doctor"

Are you a registered sleep technologist?

Are you a pulmonologist with a specialty in CSR?

Are you a board-certified internist?

Perhaps you are a certified Respiratory Therapist?

If not, I agree OP should bring up your comment and ask her doctor about it. But it's not worth scaring her into something of which you know little. Your statement was too 'definite' about CSR.

Stop being vague about your medical experience, Julie.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:55 pm

tedburnsIII wrote: If not, I agree OP should bring up your comment and ask her doctor about it. But it's not worth scaring her into something of which you know little.
Don't think she is scared, she came here for information. Clearly her existing treatment has not been working.

Really Frank er Ted, just go away... Like you saying you are going to.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Julie wrote:You seem to have definite Cheyne Stokes respirations -
So I have a question.

I see the 38.28% CSR, but how can you have CSR when

every single one of the apneas is obstructive?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:00 pm

Julie wrote:You seem to have definite Cheyne Stokes respirations - something to discuss with your doctor, whatever may or may not happen here.
the PRS1 machine she's using does *NOT* flag, or understand CSR, it's mislabeled in this version of sleepyhead,

it's actually some miscellaneous type of periodic breathing.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

StephenR

Post by StephenR » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:02 pm

palerider wrote:
Julie wrote:You seem to have definite Cheyne Stokes respirations - something to discuss with your doctor, whatever may or may not happen here.
the PRS1 machine she's using does *NOT* flag, or understand CSR, it's mislabeled in this version of sleepyhead,

it's actually some miscellaneous type of periodic breathing.
and this thread re Sleepyhead/CSR

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104158&p=981745&hil ... ad#p981745

Stephen
Last edited by StephenR on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.