Benedryl to sleep. First night of complete sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Corky1121

Benedryl to sleep. First night of complete sleep

Post by Corky1121 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:01 am

I have a fitbit and I don't know how accurate it is, but since I've had it every night showed all restless sleep. Then the home sleep study showed AHI 22. I have been on APAP since June 26 100% compliant. Last night I took 2 benedryl because Im away and couldn't fall asleep. My fitbit showed complete 9 hours sleep. No restless. Is it the benedryl or is the APAP starting to work better or a combo of the two. I will see tonight without benedryl if results are same, if not maybe I need benedryl every night for complete sleep.
Diagnosed after home study with 37 obstructive Apneas. Indexed at 22 Per hour. Moderate Apnea. Have suffered migraines and waking up stiff and tired and at times with muscle spasms.

Corky1121

Re: Benedryl to sleep. First night of complete sleep

Post by Corky1121 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:04 am

Ignore this post. My fitbit App now erased the data from last night. Then A few minutes ago I checked again and it shows all restless sleep again for last night. Obviously fitbit is not accurate at all.
Diagnosed after home study with 37 obstructive Apneas. Indexed at 22 Per hour. Moderate Apnea. Have suffered migraines and waking up stiff and tired and at times with muscle spasms.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:18 am

Benedryl is a CNS depressant, your doctor can prescribe much safer meds to help you sleep.

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:42 am

I have gone down from taking purportedly 'much safer' sleep aids e.g., Ambien and benzodiazapene tranquilizers! (jk), to Benadryl. I will probably stop taking even that soon. So, I respectfully have to disagree with CF. To my knowledge, Benadryl does not have the potential addictive properties that Z drugs and benzos possess, which have considerable withdrawal symptoms dependent on how long taken, dosage, etc. Try to avoid them as Benadryl is safer alternative.

Here are last night's results with one (1) OTC Benadryl, feel terrific today (BMI of 31 notwithstanding), note my Wisp mask and max humid settings, etc. and that leaks average 0.1 LPM. A high leak on my machine is >90 LPM. I have optimized therapy. For me, straight CPAP seems to work better due to the constant pressure- I sleep longer and better. YMMV.

Within reason, OP, do whatever is necessary to get through the night. You will in time adapt to the machine and find it comforting and will look forward to how you'll feel the next day, and should be able to all but entirely wean yourself off sleep aids.

Last edited by tedburnsIII on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:43 am, edited 6 times in total.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks for another chart there Frank er Ted....
tedburnsIII wrote:To my knowledge, Benadryl does not have the potential addictive properties
WRONG

Dependence
Benadryl may have addictive effects on some people who engage in long term use of the drug, especially for those taking the medication as a sleep aid. Taking more Benadryl to achieve expected results is a common sign of the body's dependence on the drug. In some cases, insomnia may result.

Nothing like making a bad thing worse...

Circulation
Individuals who take Benadryl for extended periods of time may experience low blood pressure and heart palpitations, as well as occasional periods where it feels the heart is racing.

IE if you have heart problems talk to your doctor rather than listening to Mr Burns.

Mental
Long-term use of Benadryl often affects mental cognition, especially in the elderly. Confusion, periods of inability to focus or concentrate, and anxiety are some symptoms experienced, as are agitation, moodiness and impatience. Depression and fatigue may also be evident. Some individuals have complained of hallucinations, nightmares and coordination problems.

Physical Manifestations
Trembling, dizziness and vision complaints, including blurred or double vision are additional symptoms of the effects of long-term Benadryl use. Some people complain of a difficulty urinating as well as skin rash and headaches following long-term use.

The best solution is to try to stay away from ALL meds and drugs and work on good sleep hygiene instead. Or start out with low dosage of the hormone found in Melatonin which your body should be producing itself but can be useful pushing users over the edge into sleep.

If you are successful there you will save yourself lots of additional issues down the road.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 am

Benadryl or its equivalents, do NOT give me a good nights sleep. It just makes me drowsy but I keep waking up continually all night long.

If I need to get to sleep when I am anxious but have to awake early I take Gravol.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 am

WADR, most drugs have side effects, people take them anyway. Not everyone experiences the side effects- in fact, with most drugs, people who experience side effects are few in number, with exceptions. I've had side effects with Benadryl, less so since my body is no longer overnight hypoxic. The fact that Benadryl is OTC and the Z drugs and benzos are prescription only may tell you something.

Also, I don't criticize anyone who needs to take meds to adapt to the therapy. I even took meds for my split-night sleep study and have no regrets.

With a xPAP drop-out rate of over 50%, estimated drop-out rate of 65% after three years (I have been informed), it doesn't pay to argue this issue any further.

OP, take your Benadryl or, within reason, Z drugs or tranqs, whatever, to get through the night.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:49 am, edited 6 times in total.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:22 am

From the Consumer Reports as of May 2014:

Nonprescription drugs containing an antihistamine—for example, diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in Benadryl, but also sold as a sleep aid under the brand names Nytol and Sominex and as a generic) or doxylamine (Unisom and generic)—might help if you have suffered insomnia for just a night or two.

Best sleep medications:

"All insomnia medicines can cause side effects like daytime sleepiness, dizziness, unsteadiness, and could actually worsen your insomnia. Sleep-walking, sleep-driving, sleep-eating, memory lapses, and hallucinations have also been reported. The risk of developing a dependency on the drugs is also a problem. People who are age 55 or older should be cautious about taking sleeping pills because they are at higher risk of all the side effects from these medicines.

Sleeping pills should generally not be used long-term for chronic insomnia. If you have just one or two nights where you can't fall or stay asleep, it's better to try something else besides medication.

That said, people with persistent, chronic insomnia—three or more nights a week for months—should seek treatment. First to rule out whether your insomnia is due to other sleep disorders, medical conditions you have, or medications you take."

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:48 am

A good source, thank you for that, Avi.
I recall a forum member relating a very bad experience with Benadryl--it might have been Rooster (Roster)
The words "Emergency room" and "coma" ring a bell.
Yeah, that says "safe", all right!

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:52 am

I seriously doubt the Benadryl was the sole cause of his problems. Get real, get some reasoning in your head, CF.

I am out of this thread, had my say.

Cheers,

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:58 am

(Secures door latch)

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:00 am

A lot of historical OTC meds would not be approved for sale today - Looking at you Aspirin!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 am

Benadryl makes me have hallucinations.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:45 pm

tedburnsIII wrote:I am out of this thread, had my say.
he came, he shat, he left.

if only he'd just skip right to the desired end result.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:57 pm

I have to say that all the cough, OTC sleep meds and motion sickness pills are a double edged sword, IMHO. I've usually experienced short term relief for sleep purposes but typically they let me down after several nights. I haven't taken any of them for years and don't miss them. But that's just me.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.