How do I approach this sleep vs sleep w/ cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mzdawn74

How do I approach this sleep vs sleep w/ cpap?

Post by mzdawn74 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:54 pm

I apologize in advance for posting again. I'm just in a really tough spot, and I believe that all of you can help me get through this with your advice and suggestions. You guys have " been there and done that" if you will. I really don't mean to be a pest! Unlike others who ask for help and don't follow the advice given, I DO!

As many of you are aware I have really been struggling with getting adjusted to using my cpap. From leaks, to mask not fitting right, not handling the pressure, and now a totally dry stuffy nose.

At the same time I'm struggling with sleep deprivation and all of the cognitive impairments that come along with it. So it's like the odds are stacked against me and I'm really unsure as how to proceed.

I tried taking a nap today with the machine, but couldn't keep it on because my nose is so dry and stuffy. I know I need to use the machine every time I sleep, but I also know I need to get quality sleep. So it's like a catch 22!

I'm looking for advice here..how do I resolve these issues? My sleep doctor will not give me anything for sleep. He suggested melatonin. It doesn't work for me. I do have a few Ativan and Ambien pills left from my old psychiatrist. Should I use those? Do I need a full face mask? What can I use for the dry stuffy nose?

I thank all of you who are on the forum and provide the advice and support you do. Without you I would have already given up. I don't deserve to live like this..I want to get better for myself, my kids, and grandkids.

Julie

Re: How do I approach this sleep vs sleep w/ cpap?

Post by Julie » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:20 pm

You need to get your humidity issues figured out - whether you use a FF mask or not. You need to take into acct. local conditions at certain times of the year (winter, with central htg, can need way more), plus whether you e.g. use A/C, a 'hose cozy' all year round or not... lots of slot together to find your individual best set up. Too much hum. and too little can often feel the same, so you have to figure out what settings work when, or if you use the humidifier at all at any time.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Go tyo your pharmacy and get a nasal rinse...NeilMed is great. Use the rinse before you mask up and then use a mid level humidity.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:32 pm

I used Ayr nasal saline gel before I masked up at night and in the morning while I was getting used to the machine.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:59 pm

mzdawn74 wrote:I apologize in advance for posting again. .
perhaps, then, next time, instead of posting a new thread that starts off with an apology for it, just continue on in your current problem thread, so that your issues aren't shotgunned all over the place, thus making it easier for people to help you.

in other words, don't be enchanter.

Last edited by palerider on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Re: I do have a few Ativan and Ambien pills left from my old psychiatrist.

I take 5 mg of Zolpidem (generic Ambien but not the extended release), and fall asleep within 15 min. If I don't fall asleep within 30 minutes I take another 5 mg. Rarely, it happens that I need to take 5 mg more but I don't take this dose if I have less than 6 hours left to sleep. I usually sleep for about 6 hours.

In 2012 Consumer Reports on Health had a survey done with nearly 9000 people with problems falling asleep who responded. Here is a result of that survey:

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:36 pm

palerider wrote:
mzdawn74 wrote:I apologize in advance for posting again. .
perhaps, then, next time, instead of posting a new thread that starts off with an apology for it, just continue on in your current problem thread, so that your issues aren't shotgunned all over the place, thus making it easier for people to help you.

in other words, don't be enchanter.
Oops..ok. I'm definitely NOT Enchanter.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:37 pm

OkyDoky wrote:I used Ayr nasal saline gel before I masked up at night and in the morning while I was getting used to the machine.
Thanks. I will check into that.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:37 pm

LSAT wrote:Go tyo your pharmacy and get a nasal rinse...NeilMed is great. Use the rinse before you mask up and then use a mid level humidity.
Thanks. I used to use the Neilmed with my netipot.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Julie wrote:You need to get your humidity issues figured out - whether you use a FF mask or not. You need to take into acct. local conditions at certain times of the year (winter, with central htg, can need way more), plus whether you e.g. use A/C, a 'hose cozy' all year round or not... lots of slot together to find your individual best set up. Too much hum. and too little can often feel the same, so you have to figure out what settings work when, or if you use the humidifier at all at any time.
I live in southern California. So the weather is usually pretty good. However, the humidity has been kind of crazy lately with all of this weird weather we've been having. I will try tonight with no humidity and see how that goes.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Really Avi... More pretty pictures.... with outdated stuff... 2012 was a while ago.
avi123 wrote:In 2012 Consumer Reports on Health had a survey done with nearly 9000 people with problems falling asleep who responded.
BUT in May of 2014 the FDA made major important changes in dosages and labeling of zolpidem (Ambien) and eszopiclone (Lunesta). These were in reaction to over dosaging and very dangerous side effects of those dosages the following day.
mzdawn74 wrote:My sleep doctor will not give me anything for sleep. He suggested melatonin. It doesn't work for me. I do have a few Ativan and Ambien pills left from my old psychiatrist.
It is unwise to take older medication you have lying around without checking with your current doctor. Ie, things change.

Long term daily use of Ambien is not recommended and should be used occasionally as needed, not every day.

Also, neither of these will have any effect on humidity and dry and nose issues. That is a different issue.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:54 pm

Krelvin wrote:Really Avi... More pretty pictures.... with outdated stuff... 2012 was a while ago.
avi123 wrote:In 2012 Consumer Reports on Health had a survey done with nearly 9000 people with problems falling asleep who responded.
BUT in May of 2014 the FDA made major important changes in dosages and labeling of zolpidem (Ambien) and eszopiclone (Lunesta). These were in reaction to over dosaging and very dangerous side effects of those dosages the following day.
mzdawn74 wrote:My sleep doctor will not give me anything for sleep. He suggested melatonin. It doesn't work for me. I do have a few Ativan and Ambien pills left from my old psychiatrist.
It is unwise to take older medication you have lying around without checking with your current doctor. Ie, things change.

Long term daily use of Ambien is not recommended and should be used occasionally as needed, not every day.

Also, neither of these will have any effect on humidity and dry and nose issues. That is a different issue.

Ok. I am wondering why people are posting to this topic and I am unable to see it. ANY ideas? And thank you for your response. I really don't want to take anything to sleep, but don't know what else to do. I need to sleep!!!
Last edited by mzdawn74 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:55 pm

Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:43 pm

Look, I'm sorry I broke the over posting rule. I think your comment is very rude. People come here for support, not to be belittled and that is what it feels like you are doing. Comments like yours make people (like me) who are already in a hard place feel even more hopeless and then become hesitant to ask for support.

People learn from experience and suggestions from others who have been through similar situations. Isn't that the whole point of a site like this, for people to ask questions? Yes, newbies or certain people might get annoying, but I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Just my opinion...

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:11 pm

mzdawn74 wrote:
Look, I'm sorry I broke the over posting rule. I think your comment is very rude. People come here for support, not to be belittled and that is what it feels like you are doing. Comments like yours make people (like me) who are already in a hard place feel even more hopeless and then become hesitant to ask for support.

People learn from experience and suggestions from others who have been through similar situations. Isn't that the whole point of a site like this, for people to ask questions? Yes, newbies or certain people might get annoying, but I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Just my opinion...
you're posting multiple threads, instead of sticking to one, as has been suggested to you, so now you're getting confused about where responses are, where they're going, what's being said where.... that's another reason to not create lots of threads. grumbling at someone that's pointing out the downside of how you're doing things doesn't change the facts.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.