I'm having a hard time sleeping with the CPAP masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hpm08161947

Re: I'm having a hard time sleeping with the CPAP masks

Post by hpm08161947 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Enchanter wrote:Well I got near a full nights sleep with the CPAP. I set it on auto. I think it was delivering pressure around 7 cm. While the crushing headache seems to be dissipating, my eyes feel tired and I'm still not really refreshed in all honesty. So even though I probably feel better, I don't feel good. Is this something you just live with or are there more improvements to be made?
I do not think it happens that fast Enchanter. Report back in about 3 months. If I am not mistaken that was just your first full night in compliance?

bobmc

Post by bobmc » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:15 pm

It's going to take longer than 1 night. The CPAP is reversing your normal breathing pattern, making it easier to inhale but harder to exhale. You have to get used to the therapy.

I got a new CPAP three months ago, and I'm still adjusting to it. My ave/90%/max pressures continue to drop as I become acclimated to the machine/mask combination.

Hang in there.

Oh, and congratulations on the first night success! That's a HUGE milestone.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:31 pm

I do feel I was stronger in the gym. I was doing exercises like barbell rows and deadlifts, 2 exercises that I normally shy away from. But I was able to do about 10 to 15 reps with weights i normally just do about 6-8 reps. 4 sets up V Bar Upright Rows, 6 sets of Barbell Rows, 2 sets of Deadlifts, 4 sets of Shrugs. I don't think it was a placebo, but it did feel like I was on a mini steroid (I never took them, but just felt my muscles were stronger and more in control). I didn't feel 100 percent, but I guess I did feel like there was a little bit more oxygen in me perhaps. Before, I would just get too tired after a few reps and want to quit. My head would hurt too much. So I guess there has to be some kind of improvement even if I'm not 100 percent better. I do believe I had some head pressure when I woke up, but it was more mild than when I don't use CPAP. So far all 3 times that I have been able to sleep with the mask, the head pressure has been more mild. My muscles felt more ''awake'' like there was a little more air in them.

Does the head pressure keep on reducing or does it stop right here? A lot of people say that they used to have mild head pressure when they woke up. I think that's sort of where I'm almost at. Before, I had crushing head pressure. It does seem less now, but the fact is that I will know when I'm truly better. But the good thing is that I was able to workout better with weights without my head pressure getting in the way and that was after I went on a 10 mile bike ride. I may have still been a little tired throughout the day, but I know in my heart that there is more room for improvement.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:58 pm

Start keeping a diary of your progress. Track your hours of CPAP SLEEP. And track things like your headache severity, how you do in the gym, how your health feels.
Keep it simple. rate your headaches from 1 to 5. Rate how tired you feel from 1-5. Do it for each day and you will know your progress.

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:37 pm

Enchanter wrote:
Does the head pressure keep on reducing or does it stop right here? A lot of people say that they used to have mild head pressure when they woke up. I think that's sort of where I'm almost at. Before, I had crushing head pressure. It does seem less now, but the fact is that I will know when I'm truly better. But the good thing is that I was able to workout better with weights without my head pressure getting in the way and that was after I went on a 10 mile bike ride. I may have still been a little tired throughout the day, but I know in my heart that there is more room for improvement.

I don't understand how you can tell anything in just 2 or 3 days, but you do seem to have rapidly acclimated to the mask..... that's good.

Learn to use Sleepy Head..... they you will be able to get a handle on your progress. In about 90 days you can evaluate.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:39 pm

hpm08161947 wrote:Learn to use Sleepy Head.....
this is a good example of why it's better to follow along before offering suggestions.

the machine that e has isn't compatible with sleepyhead.

e is very easily confused by anything that's not very simply presented, and mis-information is very confusing to him.

while it's generically a great idea, in this case, it's bad advice.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

hpm08161947

Post by hpm08161947 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:47 pm

palerider wrote:
hpm08161947 wrote:Learn to use Sleepy Head.....
this is a good example of why it's better to follow along before offering suggestions.

the machine that e has isn't compatible with sleepyhead.

e is very easily confused by anything that's not very simply presented, and mis-information is very confusing to him.

while it's generically a great idea, in this case, it's bad advice.
But isn't he soon to receive a machine that is compatible? Well maybe it will not be.

Actually I have been following along..... through several enchanter threads.... Hi Drama

Tassie Devil

Post by Tassie Devil » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:57 pm

Hang in there Enchanter, most of us have duplicated your experiences.

I found the face mask too difficult - too many leaks and also felt it necessary because of mouth breathing lapses. But I now feel they were false and am getting a perfect seal (after heaps of strap re-adjustments) with the Mirage Activa™ LT Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear. I ever tried a strap to prevent the mouth opening but gave up on that as too cumbersome and ultimately unnecessary.

And autoset at 7 works fine for me - any higher is uncomfortable and distracting to end up with the problems you relate.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:16 pm

But in the end, everyone's face and experiences are quite different, and they need to learn what works for them by trying things, however helpful someone else's trials might be.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Tassie Devil wrote:
And autoset at 7 works fine for me - any higher is uncomfortable and distracting to end up with the problems you relate.

The pressure we end up using is based on our therapy needs, NOT what is comfortable. We have to learn to live with what we need rather than stop at the highest setting that is comfy. For my mom, even 10 was allowing clusters of events that were over 30 seconds long, some over a minute long. I doubt 7 or even 10 would be suitable as the pressure setting for me. Mine starts at 11, with no ramp. I got used to it. There are people using much higher pressures. I'm sure it was not an easy start, but we gotta do what we need to be healthy. I would not encourage somebody to stay at 7 if they really need something much higher. It is a good start, and with practice, that can go up. But we have lots of people who join this group with cpap not producing good results, only to find that they were using it at too low a pressure for their needs.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:40 pm

hpm08161947 wrote:But isn't he soon to receive a machine that is compatible? Well maybe it will not be.

Actually I have been following along..... through several enchanter threads.... Hi Drama
maybe... but we don't know, and at any rate, he can't use it now, and talking about it will only confuse him, he's got the attention span of a gnat, and so needs things to be stated very simply, and cleanly, one concept at a time, so he can focus on them. (this is based on how he typically responds to one item out of long posts, and reports I've heard from folks that have talked to him on the phone.) keep it simple, keep it clear, keep it focused.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

popcpoo

Post by popcpoo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:46 pm

Having the uvula removed does not always help. My nephew had his removed, and it was no help. I had a badly deviated septum repaired and soft pallet surgery around 1997. It helped for a several years, but I am now on a bipap machine. If you are considering the surgery, find a good ENT doctor.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Increased it from 7cm to 8.5 cm last night. At times I was wondering if the machine was working properly because it felt easier to breathe, but today I woke up and there is even LESS head pressure than yesterday. My muscles don't feel as achy as usual as well. There is still room for improvement.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Enchanter wrote:Increased it from 7cm to 8.5 cm last night. At times I was wondering if the machine was working properly because it felt easier to breathe, but today I woke up and there is even LESS head pressure than yesterday. My muscles don't feel as achy as usual as well. There is still room for improvement.
1 night doesn't make a good gauge on how things are working.

You make a change and use it for 3-4 nights in a row and then compare and possibly look at a change. If you change every night, you will be chasing your tail since every night is not the same.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:39 pm

He's right - leave it in one place for a few nites at a time as there are too many other variables that could be responsible on a given one and you won't know what's what for sure otherwise.