I'm having a hard time sleeping with the CPAP masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HoseCrusher

Re: I'm having a hard time sleeping with the CPAP masks

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:28 pm

Enchanter, in spite of all the road blocks, being unfamiliar with various equipment and parts, breaking stuff, and a whole bunch of concerns, you are actually making this work.

Congratulations!!!

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:49 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:Enchanter, in spite of all the road blocks, being unfamiliar with various equipment and parts, breaking stuff, and a whole bunch of concerns, you are actually making this work.

Congratulations!!!
yup trying to do what I can do. nothing is worse than waking up with crushing head pressure. Each day it gets a little better.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Yea.. So I admit that at times I'm tired. Headaches are in fact better and that was a 10 year thing and now it's dissipating obviously. So may have to see if there are other things going on. Then again, it's only been a couple of nights and the Dealer hasn't even gave me my real machine yet. I still don't know my settings and maybe I will get less tired overtimes just by wearing the machine.

So I wake up and the headache seems to be less and less, but I notice that my eyelids feel kinda tired and I'm still tired. I'm wondering if MASKS are just masking the problem. I mean if I still have sleep apnea with a mask, something that is causing me to have sleep apnea could be the real problem.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Nothing about your experience so far is any different from the rest of us... no one symptom (headaches or otherwise) is likely to magically disappear 100% after a couple of nights on a loaner machine without prescription settings! You're doing better, that's GOOD, so just stop micro managing your stuff and let us focus on our own problems for a few minutes... we love you but we need a break!

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:21 am

Enchanter,

As much as you would like for this to happen, your problems aren't going to magically disappear after two nights of sleeping on the machine. You have got to be patient which is easier said than done.

After all your struggles, you are really doing great which you should be greatly proud of. Focus on your victories and I am sure the long term success that you deserve big time will result.

49er

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:00 am

It's 3 am. I woke up after maybe an hour and a half of sleep. I'm gonna have to try to go back to bed. But that's the thing. Even though CPAP may help reduce some head pressure, is it possible that it makes it harder to get ample sleep and makes you wake up too soon?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:24 am

Enchanter wrote:It's 3 am. I woke up after maybe an hour and a half of sleep. I'm gonna have to try to go back to bed. But that's the thing. Even though CPAP may help reduce some head pressure, is it possible that it makes it harder to get ample sleep and makes you wake up too soon?
You already asked this, and we already answered it.

Getting used to cpap is a challenge. We are going to be more sensitive to the sounds,sensations, etc. It is TEMPORARY. You will get used to it and sleep better after some practice. This is NOT instant.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:23 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Enchanter wrote:It's 3 am. I woke up after maybe an hour and a half of sleep. I'm gonna have to try to go back to bed. But that's the thing. Even though CPAP may help reduce some head pressure, is it possible that it makes it harder to get ample sleep and makes you wake up too soon?

Getting used to cpap is a challenge. We are going to be more sensitive to the sounds,sensations, etc. It is TEMPORARY. You will get used to it and sleep better after some practice. This is NOT instant.

Is there any chance that CPAP can indirectly CAUSE you to wake up?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:35 am

There are circumstances, but they're very unlikely to apply to you. WAIT TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR and get your results and prescription!

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Julie wrote:There are circumstances, but they're very unlikely to apply to you. WAIT TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR and get your results and prescription!

Well I guess I'll play the waiting game. But I've lost THAT game forever! Who knows when they'll get back to me.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

49er

Post by 49er » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Enchanter wrote:
Julie wrote:There are circumstances, but they're very unlikely to apply to you. WAIT TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR and get your results and prescription!

Well I guess I'll play the waiting game. But I've lost THAT game forever! Who knows when they'll get back to me.
Enchanter,

You have to be persistent even if that means calling your doctor's office everyday. I know it is a pain in the neck to have to call but that is what you have to do at times.

49er

cancun

Post by cancun » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:14 pm

I know you read other peoples posts, I have seen you respond to them so you already know that this is not an overnight miracle. There are plenty of posts about people having a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep. Some of us are lucky and start sleeping eight hours a night right away, others of us wake up all night long for months. Suck it up and see how long your body takes to respond. You still don't have your permanent machine and haven't been fitted for your mask yet. You have been lucky to have seen some improvement sooner than others so be grateful for that. No offense but you are not two years old but you question everything like you are. Just keep masking up and going back to sleep.

Call the doctors office everyday whether they like it or not and tell them you are waiting for your prescription so you can get set up with the DME to get started.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:47 pm

It seems a little incongruous to me that someone plagued with crushing headaches, insufficient sleep, mental confusion & constant fatigue..... would realistically be inclined (or able) to spend any time at a gym, doing workouts. Doesn't seem plausible.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Enchanter wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote:

Is there any chance that CPAP can indirectly CAUSE you to wake up?

Yes. I already listed the reasons twice.

Sounds can wake you up. Hissing from the mask. Not being used to the sound of the air.

Changes in pressure wake some people.

These things get better with time.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:56 pm

Gasper62 wrote:It seems a little incongruous to me that someone plagued with crushing headaches, insufficient sleep, mental confusion & constant fatigue..... would realistically be inclined (or able) to spend any time at a gym, doing workouts. Doesn't seem plausible.

Well crushing headaches are starting to diminish. Must be the CPAP.

If I don't spend any time outside, getting my heart rate up, I will feel even worse.

Rode 22 miles today on my mountain bike, but I'm on a mission. The CPAP will continue to help me feel well enough to increase my workouts. And that will also give me more energy in of itself. It's a win win. Plus I'm getting back on allergy therapy, did a test today and doing another tomorrow. Gonna take care of my sleep apnea and allergies and increase my fitness all at the same time.

I hope that I keep on making progress with CPAP and don't have a lot of relapses. Waking up after 2 or 3 hours seems to be a semi common thing and I can only hope that that stops happening.

And you are right that it isn't that plausible. It's just willpower. Before, I could never lift weights because I would feel I don't have enough air in my body. But the other day I was doing back rows and deadlifts like crazy. So I know CpAP is doing something and getting more air into my brain and body.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier