Honey before bed for good sleep?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BleepingBeauty

Honey before bed for good sleep?

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:37 pm

I found this today and thought I'd share. I have some organic honey and may try this. It's not appealing to think about swallowing a couple of spoonfuls of straight honey, but it can't hurt.

http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/13809- ... night.html
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Honey before bed for good sleep?

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:54 pm

The other kind of honey works, too.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:57 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:The other kind of honey works, too.

You continue to shock the shit out of me sometimes! Little froggie!
Morbius, are you bored?

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:37 pm

What would you rather have, honey the some poor little bees worked their wings and tails off to get and then had it stolen by some capitalist, or a boatload of self manufactured endorphins. Hmmm what to choose, what to choose .....?

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:56 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:I found this today and thought I'd share. I have some organic honey and may try this. It's not appealing to think about swallowing a couple of spoonfuls of straight honey, but it can't hurt.

http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/13809- ... night.html
How about..... "a roll in bed with honey".

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:55 pm

While I like Honey, both kinds, the site article is vested in promoting farm products for money.

Honey soothes the throat, raises blood sugar levels, not so good for many of us, but low blood sugar wakes me up. Of all forms of sugar it's probably the most healthy, a billion bee's can't be wrong.... Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Goofproof wrote:While I like Honey, both kinds, the site article is vested in promoting farm products for money.
Promoting farm products, yes. The site is "Eat Local Grown." They're advocating that people should eat fresh, locally-grown produce. There's something wrong with that, eh?

And where's the money? They're not selling anything.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:09 pm

Locally grown food ensures fresher produce, lower fuel costs, and beneficial desensitization to local allergens.
And you can help support your neighbors who live on the land.
Resident farmers are more conscious of their effect on the environment than corporate entities.
What's not to like? Farmers' markets may be the only place non-gardeners can get REAL tomatoes!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:05 am

chunkyfrog wrote: get REAL tomatoes!
OM NOM NOM NOM!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:40 pm

I support local real farmers, if I can. I don't think many exist anymore, even so called local farmers use corporate seed stocks that have been modified.

Around here (indiana), It's Inpossible to find real tomatoes, what's being sold as local is really, locally grown, but commercial varieties, (hot house type) such as Campbells 303, thick skins to stand machine picking and dropping, breed to mature all at one time, and be the same size for processing. Tasteless!

I long for the day of the real family farmer, one that planted real seeds or used rootstocks. Saved seeds from the best of the crop to be used next planting, limited fertilizer and pesticide use. I used to do this in my own garden, but that's seldom done anymore.

With GMO's, and big seed companies, we are loosing the ability to keep our food stocks base pure, making us reliant on companies to replant, making us one mistake from starving. Even Honey is at risk, with pesticides killing off the bee population. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:48 pm

First of all, I love honey and use it on many foods during the daytime. That being said, I think it boils down to whether you can tolerate carbohydrates at bedtime or not. Different people can and some can't. I happen to be one of those who can't consume any carbos a few hours before bedtime. That includes starches like bread and noodles and especially sugars of any kind. Even beer, wine and liquor all have quickly absorbed carbos, therefore I steer clear of them at least three hours before bedtime. I don't know why but that's just from my long experience with carbos. Diabetes, of course, plays a role for some people, so you need to rule that out. If a cup of herbal tea with a big dollop of honey works for you, then go for it.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:56 pm

The Romas are hybrid but the rest all family heirlooms. Picked these last night. I'm in central IL.

Edit: All organic and I brew my own compost blend too!
Morbius, are you bored?

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Goofproof wrote:I support local real farmers, if I can. I don't think many exist anymore, even so called local farmers use corporate seed stocks that have been modified.

Around here (indiana), It's Inpossible to find real tomatoes, what's being sold as local is really, locally grown, but commercial varieties, (hot house type) such as Campbells 303, thick skins to stand machine picking and dropping, breed to mature all at one time, and be the same size for processing. Tasteless!
Jim, I'm in Southern Indiana and am blessed to be surrounded by home gardeners. We swap fresh produce all summer long, including those wonderful homegrown heirloom tomatoes! Everything from local honey to Jackson melons and zucchini is in abundance for us. We have an annual quilt show and, among other things, offer fresh vegetable soup from our gardens as a lunch item. Yum!

Not Fade

Post by Not Fade » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:44 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Locally grown food ensures fresher produce, lower fuel costs,

Resident farmers are more conscious of their effect on the environment than corporate entities.
My wife and I regularly buy from our local farmer's market, but none of the above is true.

Fuel costs are higher because you are transporting small quantities by inefficient modes. The big distributors have it down to a science and don't waste a penny in fuel costs or rubber burning.

Small, local farmers have less yield per acre, therefore more land must be cleared to support them - an obvious impact on the environment.

If you are talking organic, local farmers use more pesticides - some natural, many synthetic. Surprised that certified organic farmers use synthetic pesticides? Look it up. There are a few hundred approved synthetic pesticides for organic farming. Many of these are more toxic (Based on Ld50 for mammals) than synthetics used by traditional agriculture.

Small local farmers who refuse to use glyphosate must till their fields - another impact on the environment causing loss of soil. Larger farmers are using no-till methods and are protecting, and in many cases recovering, the soil.

You say freshness, this might be true at times. But what about if the local farmer harvests on Monday and you buy it in the grocery store on Saturday? That non-organic product shipped in from 500 miles in refrigerated trucks might be fresher.

Buying from local farms is an elitist thing. The products cost more and you have to be able to travel to buy them and shop when they are available. The products are not often consumed by the mass of low-income people.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Small, local farmers have less yield per acre,
Real proof? Most little farmers I knew were much better and had more yield.
Small local farmers who refuse to use glyphosate must till their fields - another impact on the environment
Like glyphsosate doesn't?
Buying from local farms is an elitist thing.
Yes just screw your neighbours let them sell the family farm for fracking and leave for the city.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal