What To Do? Self Titrating

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoocrewphoto

Re: What To Do?

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:03 am

I wanted to add that both my mom and I have plain obstructive sleep apnea. BUT! we look (and sound) very different. I snore like crazy with obvious obstructive events. High number of events per hour, though pretty short.

My mom, does NOT snore. Her events are fewer, but very long. Sometimes over a minute. She does not appear to struggle to breathe. Looking at her, I would tend to guess centrals since she stops breathing with no obvious obstructions. But I have seen her data. She's not having centrals. And the apap works great for her.

So, while it is possible that you have have complex sleep apnea, you may not. Give it a try with the regular machine and see if it will work for you.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:16 am

Joe, I'm still inclined to agree with zoocrewphoto -- you may or may not have something more than OSA. I almost never snore but I have severe OSA.

As for machine -- I assume you're having to buy one without a prescription? If you spot one on Craigslist you can check it out with us and get some help deciding if it's a good machine for you to use. When you're trying to figure things out yourself it really helps to have an APAP that uses an SD card and can distinguish between obstructive apneas, hypopneas and central apneas. In the Philips Respironics line the model numbers would be the 550 or the 560. With ResMed it's the S9 Autoset (not the "Escape Auto"). ResMed has a newer APAP, the AirSense 10 Autoset, but it's so new that you're less likely to find one on the second hand market at this time.

We have some trusted forum members who sell gently used machines from time to time.

joeshmoe90

Post by joeshmoe90 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:49 am

I sure hope so. That would simplify things a little not having Central Apnea or at least having the ability to narrow it down.

You guys are selling me on the newer machine idea. I'll run it by my wife tomorrow. I'm sure she;ll have no objection.
It sounds like machines are the easy part. It's getting the right mask that takes time. Are there places that will let you try different ones?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:44 am

joeshmoe90 wrote:I sure hope so. That would simplify things a little not having Central Apnea or at least having the ability to narrow it down.

You guys are selling me on the newer machine idea. I'll run it by my wife tomorrow. I'm sure she;ll have no objection.
It sounds like machines are the easy part. It's getting the right mask that takes time. Are there places that will let you try different ones?
Some brick & mortar DMEs will let you try different masks, but I'm not sure if they'll help you if you don't have a prescription. Masks do require a prescription. With some masks you can buy all the parts online without a prescription and assemble the mask yourself -- silly, isn't it?

You're right, finding the right mask is usually the most challenging thing. Most of us have tried several masks before finding "the one." And if you hang out here for a while you'll see people posting from time to time about selling a perfectly good but "rejected" mask that they can't return.

Do you have any family members who use CPAP?

joeshmoe90

Post by joeshmoe90 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:16 am

Thanks for the info kaiasgram. No family on PAP. In fact nobody I know is on one. None that would admit it, anyway

pugsy (or someone) mentioned a system one machine.
Last edited by joeshmoe90 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:09 am

Hope someone replies soon besides me, because I'm not familiar with that machine, but it looks like it is an auto and possibly just what you need. Copy down the id of the ebay seller, because ebay doesn't allow these machines to be listed and will take it down shortly. If you find out it is the one you want, you can contact the seller and make a private deal.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:12 am

Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 am

I didn't realize that it wasn't your machine that you posted a picture of.

As always, Pugsy gave you the information you needed.

Last edited by yaconsult on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:03 am

If you saw a picture of the M series machine and saw "A Flex" on the machine then it is an auto (apap) capable machine. AFlex is only available on the auto adjusting machines. The M Series Pro CPAP would have C Flex on the machine.

That said, if you are concerned at all about centrals then you need a machine that will flag centrals (Clear airway cessation of breathing) and the M series machines can't do it. You would need a System One machine to do that or the equivalent in the ResMed product line which would be the S9 or AirSense full data machines.
In the Respironics System One model line that would be model number 450 or higher. They make lower end models with a lower model number but they don't offer anything but hours of use.

When you see the model number include x60 in it...that means a 60 series machine which is the newest of models at this time. Slightly older models x50 are the 50 series machines with the main difference being the addition of an optional integrated heated hose.

EBay will likely pull that machine listing above as soon as the EBay police see it is for a machine. It is unlikely to last the duration of the listing.
If you want to go the used machine route and get a System One APAP (auto adjusting) there are a couple of forum members who have a 560 machine for sale. I know of one with less than 60 hours for $375 and that includes humidifier and accessories.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

joeshmoe90

Post by joeshmoe90 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:15 am

Thanks, Pugsy. That helps a bunch. I'll send you a PM

joeshmoe90

Post by joeshmoe90 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:38 pm

Sleep Center sales people. PFFT!

So I explained to the doc about my insurance/financial situation. I told him I wasn't going to use it. Deductible is too high. Besides, I don't believe insurance should be used willy-nilly, for every little thing like sleep studies. Maybe if they didn't cost $1-3K+, people might pony up the cash. Anyway....

When I called the center that my doc recommended, I swear, I was talking to a car salesman. . She was just rattling off jargon, numbers, prices, insurance mumbo jumbo. We can put you on payment plan if you want to pay yourself...yada, yada. Very uninterested at that point. She quoted a home sleep study of $450, cash payment. $950 for an in-lab study. That's when she began in with trying to prod me with the insurance. I explained to her that no, not interested in using insurance. I still have to a large percentage even after the deduct. etc. Okay. We hang up.

Yesterday, my wife calls me saying that the sleep center is blowing up her phone leaving voice mails talking about them contacting my insurance and being pre-"authorized" for a sleep study etc. and that the doctor wrote a script to go ahead. Then, my phone starts ringing. Geez. What is this? Relentless. Makes me not want to deal with them at all. My "trusted" doctor gave them my insurance info. without my consent? I realize that this is probably SOP for people constantly making visits and in and out of offices/hospitals having procedures and whatnot, but I specifically told them that insurance was not an option.

We just went through an ordeal with my wifes MRI visits. We were told it be "covered" under preventative without a deductible. Then they were "concerned" about some areas. Through some error or something (really miscommunication) It was not covered. Ended up having double procedures performed when it wasn't necessary. This little screw up was so bad that her OBGYN of 25 years won't even return our phone calls. End result, We're stuck with the bill. Okay done ranting

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Joe -- Anything cooking with the lead you got from Pugsy?

joeshmoe90

Post by joeshmoe90 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:59 am

Yes. She's been more than helpful. Probably gonna end up with a PR Auto 560 machine to get started and see where I'm at.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:28 am

joeshmoe90 wrote:Yes. She's been more than helpful. Probably gonna end up with a PR Auto 560 machine to get started and see where I'm at.
Sounds good. Great full data machine.

joeshmoe90

Post by joeshmoe90 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Hey, Pugsy,

Do you have PM's disabled?

Edit: Disregard. My fault.
Last edited by joeshmoe90 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.