Beginning to think this is pointless...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mzdawn74

Beginning to think this is pointless...

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:04 am

Hello,

Yes, I know last night was only my 4th night on Cpap, but I swear it feels like I'm getting worse still cognitively. I am having such a hard time thinking clearly, my memory is shot, I don't know where my vocabulary went, and now I keep getting messages that my leaks are getting higher each night.

Apparently Wednesday my leak rate was 16L/MN with an AHI of 0.1, and last night the leak rate increased to 18L/MN, but my AHI dropped to zero. I know I should download sleepyhead, and I will at some point today. That is if I can get my brain to function.

I am not expecting complete relief of all of my symptoms, but why are things seemingly worse? Shouldn't they stay at the same level? I am not sleeping well still, maybe 4-5 hours with multiple awakenings. Could that be the reason? Are the leaks I'm having causing this further decline? I don't want to give up, but after all I've been through over the last 4 years, I'm beginning to feel like this isn't going to work like the whole "depression" treatment didn't work.

I don't know what to do...
Last edited by mzdawn74 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill44133

Re: Beginning to think this is pointless...

Post by Bill44133 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:11 am

Yes leaks can wake you up no doubt about it. I noticed in one of your other threads you also mention you had dry mouth; which means your therapy is going out of your mouth.

You may want to consider changing to full face mask, and getting some type of liners to go with it. The liners work wonders for controling leaks.

I wish you well...

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:22 am

There is nothing wrong with your leak rate, because anything at or below 24 is OK with Resmed machines.
Four days is really not enough time to see mental improvement. I took maybe 3 or 4 months.
For now, you just need to relax and enjoy this oxygenated sleep. Get used to therapy, and let your body heal.
Try a full face mask if you like, but it is not for everyone, you choose what works for YOU.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:28 am

Took me 3 months to get it settled... 4 days is not enough time for most (If any).

You might need to try different masks, mask liner, I used a neck tie for a couple days (long story)...

You do the best you can as best as you can until you work it out. Everyone is different.
I know I should download sleepyhead, and I will at some point today.
?? You have the info at your fingertips to show you what is happening in detail but you have not tried. Nobody can do this for you.

BTW it helps if you stay to one running topic rather than creating new ones all the time. A lot easier to follow.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:32 am

I'm one of those who, without a rational explanation, chooses to ignore how the machines score leak rates on occasion. If you feel leaks are a problem, try on some FF masks, you might feel more comfortable (as I do) wearing one, rather than less. There's another factor too, some people don't do well with Apap as the changes in pressure waken them... so you might also try straight Cpap at the pressure you used for 90-95% of the time. Again, nothing to lose by a short trial!

Sonya

Post by Sonya » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:47 am

My first couple of weeks were awful. Tears, yelling, cursing the machine, sleepless, crabby, mental fog. Ugh! Hang in there, it does get better.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:53 am

OP lists an Elite, so no auto.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:05 pm

Oops, thank you CF!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:36 pm

In four days do you expect to heal? Would you insist on taking off a cast?

Suppose you had a hysterectomy, it would take 6 - 8 weeks to recover your energy from the cost of healing. Sure the incision is closed in a couple of weeks but you won't be doing a big shopping trip or running your usual lap. Why the hell do you think 4 days does anything? Did you learn to walk in 4 days? Did the newborn sleep through the night in 4 days?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

tedburnsIII

Post by tedburnsIII » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Obviously, OP has not yet adapted to the therapy. She states she only sleeps maybe 4-5 hours with frequent awakenings.
It may help to take a mild sedative during the adaptation process.

Give it TIME, OP! You won't regret it! It works 100% of the time if you do your part, and have patience!

Don't expect to see dramatic results in how you feel with SWJ (sleep/wake junk). This is without much doubt contributing to the 'fog' you seem to
experience. Perhaps you may want to discuss your current symptoms with your physician, though, because the description appears to be a bit extreme.

You'll get to a very good, healthful place if you stick with it.
Last edited by tedburnsIII on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Machine - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmart ... ducts.html
Setting: APAP, 10.5-14cm
Software: Proprietary
Mask- PR Wisp nasal (large); ResMed FX Nasal (wide);
Oximeter: CMS50D+

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:57 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:In four days do you expect to heal? Would you insist on taking off a cast?

Suppose you had a hysterectomy, it would take 6 - 8 weeks to recover your energy from the cost of healing. Sure the incision is closed in a couple of weeks but you won't be doing a big shopping trip or running your usual lap. Why the hell do you think 4 days does anything? Did you learn to walk in 4 days? Did the newborn sleep through the night in 4 days?
I do not expect to heal in 4 days. But, what I don't understand is why my symptoms keep getting worse? I would think they would stay the same. I know this is not going to be a quick fix, but it is very scary feeling the way I do. Each day I wonder, is this it? Is this what my life is going to be like? It's torture on a daily basis not being able to do all of the simple things I used to. Like reading a paragraph, and actually understanding and comprehending what I read. To be able to have a conversation and not have to stop mid-sentence because I can't recall the word I want to use. To drive down the freeway I've been down 1000's of times, and know the exit names that are coming up from memory. To complete daily routines without having to think the process out in depth, and still make mistakes. These are the types of things I struggle with each day, and it's getting worse. I want this therapy to work, but just feel hopeless. I'm sorry if you are losing patience with me, but it's my life at stake here. I don't want to end up in some hospital a complete vegatable.
Last edited by mzdawn74 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Bill44133 wrote:Yes leaks can wake you up no doubt about it. I noticed in one of your other threads you also mention you had dry mouth; which means your therapy is going out of your mouth.

You may want to consider changing to full face mask, and getting some type of liners to go with it. The liners work wonders for controling leaks.

I wish you well...
Thank you.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:01 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:There is nothing wrong with your leak rate, because anything at or below 24 is OK with Resmed machines.
Four days is really not enough time to see mental improvement. I took maybe 3 or 4 months.
For now, you just need to relax and enjoy this oxygenated sleep. Get used to therapy, and let your body heal.
Try a full face mask if you like, but it is not for everyone, you choose what works for YOU.

Thanks. I didn't know that anything under 24 was OK with Resmed. I got alarmed when they sent me an email yesterday informing of the leaks. I don't really expect to see mental improvements, but I do expect not to continue to decline. If I'm getting treatment, shouldn't it stay basically the same?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi Dawn -- I'm guessing things are worse right now because sleeping with a mask on your face and air blowing into you is a whole new deal and for most it takes patience and a lot of getting used to. Your sleep was messed up before you started this, and now you've added another challenge to the mix -- long-term you will be better off for it, but for some people it gets worse before it gets better. I was one of those people.

I suggest you forget about myair because it's causing you unnecessary stress. The "do not cross" leak number on your machine is 24. So not only are your highest leaks already below that number, but you may only have hit your max leak rate once or twice for a second or two. Not significant. You'll be able to look at a leak graph for the whole night when you start using SleepyHead -- then you can see the whole story re leaks. Sometimes the highest leak number was just a blip or two on the whole graph, and the rest of the night leaks were minimal. Wait and see when you have all the info and in the meantime just rely on the green smiley face.

I know from your previous threads that you're scared and having a very difficult time. But try not to take these first few nights with cpap as an indication of how it will be for you indefinitely. It's just not time to make that assessment.

Forum help -- sometimes it comes with empathy and patience, and sometimes not. Feel free to PM for a little extra support if you need it.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:16 pm

I feel your pain girl, I feel your struggle
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching