Beginning to think this is pointless...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HoseCrusher

Re: Beginning to think this is pointless...

Post by HoseCrusher » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:24 pm

It sounds like you aren't getting enough sleep...

Sorry for stating the obvious but you need to change your thinking to figuring out a way to get more sleep. When I go on 4 hours a night I also notice my functioning decreasing.

So, how can you get more rest...?

How about this. Pick a time during the day that you can rearrange your schedule around (this is a crisis, so it should take priority) and lay down hooked up to your machine and take a nap. It doesn't matter if it is in your bed or on the couch. The idea is to just relax and give your body a little extra time to rebuild.

While you are relaxing, try focusing on things that are going well in your life. You can start with Gee it's great to be alive, and work from there. Clearing your mind while hooked up to the machine will give you the best opportunity to catch a little nap. Don't set an alarm. Just wake up naturally.

Give yourself about an hour and if you can't fall asleep get back up and try it again in a few hours. Eventually you will be able to nap.

There is some risk associated with this approach. You may actually feel much better, but napping may through your sleep schedule off. Right now it seems the risks may be worth the peace of mind of feeling rested.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:42 pm

[quote="mzdawn74"
I do not expect to heal in 4 days. But, what I don't understand is why my symptoms keep getting worse? I would think they would stay the same..[/quote]

Have you ever had physio? Because when you start it it feels like crap, you hurt more then before you started so you think it is pointless and you want to crawl under a rock but you know that if you want that body part to function you have go through the pain.

Until your brain adapts to sleeping with this thing on your face and begins to trust it it will feel like crap, just like physio, just like having a new baby, just like getting put into a cast. Reprogramming the human mind/body takes time. It will happen if you give it a chance but it will not happen at all if you give up. Like with driving, look towards where you are going and not down at the ground.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Sonya wrote:My first couple of weeks were awful. Tears, yelling, cursing the machine, sleepless, crabby, mental fog. Ugh! Hang in there, it does get better.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope it does get better!

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Julie wrote:I'm one of those who, without a rational explanation, chooses to ignore how the machines score leak rates on occasion. If you feel leaks are a problem, try on some FF masks, you might feel more comfortable (as I do) wearing one, rather than less. There's another factor too, some people don't do well with Apap as the changes in pressure waken them... so you might also try straight Cpap at the pressure you used for 90-95% of the time. Again, nothing to lose by a short trial!
Thank you Julie. I have an appointment Monday for a mask fitting. I hope though in the meantime I might possibly get settled with the one I have.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:57 pm

tedburnsIII wrote:Obviously, OP has not yet adapted to the therapy. She states she only sleeps maybe 4-5 hours with frequent awakenings.
It may help to take a mild sedative during the adaptation process.

Give it TIME, OP! You won't regret it! It works 100% of the time if you do your part, and have patience!

Don't expect to see dramatic results in how you feel with SWJ (sleep/wake junk). This is without much doubt contributing to the 'fog' you seem to
experience. Perhaps you may want to discuss your current symptoms with your physician, though, because the description appears to be a bit extreme.

You'll get to a very good, healthful place if you stick with it.

Thank you for your vote of confidence! I hope I can make it to the other side. But, I can't help to be concerned though when I share my symptoms, I get some comments from people like you who state my symptoms are "extreme" and should speak with my doctor. Yet, I also get comments and hear from people who share the same symptoms, and do have sleep apnea and have found relief...what am I to believe?
Last edited by mzdawn74 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:10 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:It sounds like you aren't getting enough sleep...

Sorry for stating the obvious but you need to change your thinking to figuring out a way to get more sleep. When I go on 4 hours a night I also notice my functioning decreasing.

So, how can you get more rest...?

How about this. Pick a time during the day that you can rearrange your schedule around (this is a crisis, so it should take priority) and lay down hooked up to your machine and take a nap. It doesn't matter if it is in your bed or on the couch. The idea is to just relax and give your body a little extra time to rebuild.

While you are relaxing, try focusing on things that are going well in your life. You can start with Gee it's great to be alive, and work from there. Clearing your mind while hooked up to the machine will give you the best opportunity to catch a little nap. Don't set an alarm. Just wake up naturally.

Give yourself about an hour and if you can't fall asleep get back up and try it again in a few hours. Eventually you will be able to nap.

There is some risk associated with this approach. You may actually feel much better, but napping may through your sleep schedule off. Right now it seems the risks may be worth the peace of mind of feeling rested.

I appreciate your suggestions. I agree I am totally lacking on sleep. My schedule is already off, I'm unable to fall asleep before 4am, and then up at 8am tossing and turning until 11am. Should I try and stay up today (been up since 8am, didn't try and go back to bed), and just go to bed early? Or should I try to take a nap like you suggested?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:14 pm

I would (have) taken a short nap in the late a.m. so as not to be up all night, but forcing yourself to stay up is more likely to fail.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Without sleep and rest you will continue to deteriorate.

I would guess your first priority would be to stop the deterioration and start rebuilding.

I would even go as far as suggesting shutting your computer off and taking a nap... RIGHT NOW!!!

EveOett

Post by EveOett » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi Dawn: it took me four or five weeks to get acclimated. Don't give up!!! I'm around four months in and seeing many positive results, even surprising things like better moods, less anxiety, more patience. But it does take some determination. Good luck to you. You can do it. Eve.
Best, Eve

Mynah

Post by Mynah » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:45 pm

EveOett wrote:surprising things like better moods, less anxiety, more patience
Why would this be surprising?

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:23 pm

mzdawn74 wrote: ...when I share my symptoms, I get some comments from people like you who state my symptoms are "extreme" and should speak with my doctor. Yet, I also get comments and hear from people who share the same symptoms, and do have sleep apnea and have found relief...what am I to believe?
The hard part about getting so much input on a forum like this is weeding through what might be relative to you. Then just take the rest as hearing someone's story. The person who had few daytime symptoms will be alarmed at your symptoms. The person who hit rock bottom before getting treatment and recovering will not be so alarmed. Every post will not be applicable to your situation.

And here's another piece that may or may not be for you. It's just my personal opinion based on experience. You've got the rest of your life to work on sleep hygiene and getting on schedule. Right now what you need is sleep, and much more of it. As long as you are sleeping with the machine, get it when you can. Even if it's in smaller chunks of time all the way around the clock. You are not going to turn this around with the sleep you are getting. After some weeks of getting enough sleep and you are feeling a bit of recovery, you can work on improving your sleep schedule. It can feel overwhelming to tackle so much at once. I always feel bad for those who during the adjustment to the treatment and equipment also deal with changing their usual sleep position and sleep schedule. When overwhelmed, prioritize. #1 Make reasonably sure treatment is working as it should. #2 Sleep - Everything else can wait.

Just a reminder - beware of that ramp feature. If you are just getting short bursts of sleep, you don't want most of that time to be spent in ramp. That would defeat the purpose of getting a nap. I would recommend turning the ramp either off or set it to 5-10 minutes. Don't worry about if you're still awake when the ramp is over. Better than sleeping with the ramp on at a subpar pressure for treatment. I know you're feeling desperate. It's scary when you feel yourself sliding and can't grab on to anything to slow the fall. You are so very close to getting some relief. You've got this.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:34 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:Without sleep and rest you will continue to deteriorate.

I would guess your first priority would be to stop the deterioration and start rebuilding.

I would even go as far as suggesting shutting your computer off and taking a nap... RIGHT NOW!!!

A nap is not possible at the very moment. The grandkids are a handful!! Yes, I am a Grandma at 40! I am definitely going to implement a nap into my daily routine some how. Thank you for your support it really does help!

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:35 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:[quote="mzdawn74"
I do not expect to heal in 4 days. But, what I don't understand is why my symptoms keep getting worse? I would think they would stay the same..
Have you ever had physio? Because when you start it it feels like crap, you hurt more then before you started so you think it is pointless and you want to crawl under a rock but you know that if you want that body part to function you have go through the pain.

Until your brain adapts to sleeping with this thing on your face and begins to trust it it will feel like crap, just like physio, just like having a new baby, just like getting put into a cast. Reprogramming the human mind/body takes time. It will happen if you give it a chance but it will not happen at all if you give up. Like with driving, look towards where you are going and not down at the ground.[/quote]

Once again you are totally right. I am going to try and work on my level of patience, but it's like the "rug" is being pulled out from under me! Thank you...

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:37 pm

EveOett wrote:Hi Dawn: it took me four or five weeks to get acclimated. Don't give up!!! I'm around four months in and seeing many positive results, even surprising things like better moods, less anxiety, more patience. But it does take some determination. Good luck to you. You can do it. Eve.
Thank you Eve for your reassuring words of support! The support I receive here is what keeps me going! Thank you all!

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:03 pm

Just saw your post about the grandkids. Are you solely responsible for them at all times? That would make napping harder. Are there any family members or friends you can ask for help for a little while? You can't be superwoman. Unless you have to. Then we do what we have to do. Just wishing there was a way to find some relief. If you continue to decline you won't be much use to them and someone else will have to step in and help out. Not knowing your situation, I hesitate to say much more about that. Easy advice is often worthless in a given situation. I remember feeling almost scolded on here for looking for a cheaper solution to an already inexpensive item. What the posters had no way of knowing was that at that time I was standing in line at food banks just to get something to eat. Most people's advice (including mine) is well intended, but not well informed. Just hoping you can find a way to get some help so you can begin to recover.