Q-Tube In-Line CPAP Muffler Kit

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: Q-Tube In-Line CPAP Muffer Kit

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Just jacked my Remstar Classic Tank, crawled under it checked the exhaust piping and muffler, 14,000 hours still working good, maybe the muffler bearing needs a little grease so I pumped it full. Good for another 14,000 hours. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

eleong2

Post by eleong2 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:46 pm

LSAT wrote:
charlesrshell wrote:
bill-e wrote:Charles, the Q-Tube is placed near the machine and reduces machine noise which would normally get amplified in the hose. It will not reduce any mask noise.
I know, I can barely hear my machine. Maybe I won't hear it at all with the muffler. Time will tell.
Did you read what JDS74 wrote? You will have to give up your humidifier if you want to use the muffler. I see that you are using the H5i with your S9.

I think these mufflers are intended for people that do not use a humidifier with their cpap machines. The humidifiers reduces a lot of the noise due to air turbulence. The Z1 and Transcend portable units don't have (tank) humidifiers (Transcend does now) and the air turbulence noise is transmitted directly to the users face. It is also depends on what type of mask you are using. The noise from the cpap machine to an outsider may be quiet but the air hitting the user's face is the noise that's carried to your inner ear. My Transcend is really noisy to me and I would have a hard time getting to sleep. It is really quiet if you are not the one wearing the mask. To help reduce the air turbulence noise I made a muffler for my Transcend and it works well, using a small 3 oz plastic cosmetic jar and two cpap hose couplings. Think of a car muffler the inlet and outlet are offset and the jar acts like a shock absorber. After looking at the specifications for the Q-Tube it has a foam insert that has to be changed once in a while, my muffler does not and to clean it I just unscrew the lid and rinse it out. The foam in the Q-Tube will get saturated with water if you use it with a humidifier, a place where nasty stuff can grow. I was thinking of buying one when it became available for my Transcend CPAP machine, but having to change the foam every 30 days or so of use. I have no doubt it works, there is one user that has been "beta" testing it and it has been a benefit to him. Without a muffler for my Transcend, I couldn't use it for an extended period of time, I also travel alot for work.

Cliburn

Post by Cliburn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:59 am

I have a Z-1 Auto as my travel machine and have been waiting for this.
The machine is nice and light, but noisy. My order is in.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:14 am

Please give us a report when you get yours.

DeepFriedDuck

Post by DeepFriedDuck » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:21 am

I don't know what the big deal is, probably because I have always slept well with a fan running.

But anyway, my machine hardly makes any noise.

Why do they spell it muffer? Maybe trademark issues?

charlesrshell

Re: Q-Tube In-Line CPAP Muffler Kit

Post by charlesrshell » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:06 am

DeepFriedDuck wrote:I don't know what the big deal is, probably because I have always slept well with a fan running.

But anyway, my machine hardly makes any noise.

Why do they spell it muffer? Maybe trademark issues?
Because I misspelled muffler when I started this thread. Sorry about that, I think I have all my post corrected. Good eye DeepFriedDuck.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:34 am

what about the muffler affecting the resistance to air flow in the air tube, and when I enter the kind of tube that I use then the CPAP machine's calculation of pressure at the mask would be wrong.

fbk7007

Post by fbk7007 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:35 pm

I bought S10 Auto Set, I love all the features about it, and design. But it's very noisy @ 14 cm H2O (that's my minimum). When I inhale the CPAP sounds like turbo charged car. Too much noise for me, and my partner. That's the reason I am looking for a device that helps me to attenuate the noise coming to mask. But thinking to the overall noise, I think it will be better to buy a new CPAP, I am thinking on S9. Does anyone has some feedback on this CPAP noise level?

Best regards,
F.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:09 pm

fbk7007 wrote:I bought S10 Auto Set, I love all the features about it, and design. But it's very noisy @ 14 cm H2O (that's my minimum). When I inhale the CPAP sounds like turbo charged car. Too much noise for me, and my partner. That's the reason I am looking for a device that helps me to attenuate the noise coming to mask. But thinking to the overall noise, I think it will be better to buy a new CPAP, I am thinking on S9. Does anyone has some feedback on this CPAP noise level?

Best regards,
F.

There is no S10 Autoset...you are referring to the AirSense10. Most people are going FROM S9s TO the AirSense10. Most customer reviews on cpap.com indicate that the machine is very quiet.

fbk7007

Post by fbk7007 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Yes, I am referring to AirSense10. It's quite at low pressure (<10 cm H2O). But around 12, starts getting loud, and louder as the pressure increments. I think the CPAP air inlet port is to small.
Regards,
F.

charlesrshell

Post by charlesrshell » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:28 pm

fbk7007 wrote:Yes, I am referring to AirSense10. It's quite at low pressure (<10 cm H2O). But around 12, starts getting loud, and louder as the pressure increments. I think the CPAP air inlet port is to small.
Regards,
F.
WOW, this is disappointing. Anyone else noticing the AirSense 10 louder noise from around 12 and up?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:37 pm

fbk7007 wrote:Yes, I am referring to AirSense10. It's quite at low pressure (<10 cm H2O). But around 12, starts getting loud, and louder as the pressure increments. I think the CPAP air inlet port is to small.
Regards, F.
charlesrshell wrote:WOW, this is disappointing. Anyone else noticing the AirSense 10 louder noise from around 12 and up?
That's the first report I've heard of the AirSense10 being noisy for the several months it's been out... I guess some of the members here are more sensitive than others.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

charlesrshell

Post by charlesrshell » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Well, received my Q-Tube In-Line CPAP Muffler Kit yesterday. She sure looks pretty attached to my S9 AutoSet, like an aftermarket high performance Borla Boomer muffler. I did not notice any difference in CPAP sound last nite. The S9 AutoSet is already super quiet, but, you know, just had to try out the muffler kit anyway!

goldbergsfg

Post by goldbergsfg » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:35 pm

The qtube does make a difference in reducing the air rushing sound but has minimal affect on the whining nose. Hdm is selling the unit for about $35 plus you have to replace parts every 14 days at a cost of $12 per month. Add that to the cost of the HME humidifier module and the total cost of operation is about $1 per day not counting your mask pillows or air filter. It is a pretty expensive proposition.

I'll probably restrict my usage to long trips.

happysleeper

Post by happysleeper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:34 pm

I just bought a new Transcend CPAP for travel, and bought the Q-tube muffler to try out because the Transcend literature said that the Transcend is a few decibels noisier than my Resmed Airsense 10. I found that the Transcend is noisier, and that the Q-tube not only doesn't seem to make it quieter, but also makes me air-hungry. I wonder if any research has been done on the effect of the in-line muffler on the air pressure...