Is getting surgery for the Uvula effective for OSA?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Enchanter

Is getting surgery for the Uvula effective for OSA?

Post by Enchanter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:07 pm

I've been reading some youtube comments and one lady had a doctor suggest getting surgery for her uvula/tongue. Come to think about it... My doctor looked down my tongue and said that I have a ''little thing.'' And now I realize that he may have been referring to my uvula being in the way. If I get a surgery, can it help?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

Gasper62

Re: Is getting surgery for the Uvula effective for OSA?

Post by Gasper62 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:12 pm

Lobotomy might be more beneficial.............. LOL, just kidding !

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Gasper62 wrote:Lobotomy might be more beneficial.............. LOL, just kidding !

Whatever Works
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Gasper62 wrote:Lobotomy might be more beneficial.............. LOL, just kidding !
another one?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:25 pm

Enchanter wrote: If I get a surgery, can it help?
well, as you saw on the internet, some people certainly say it's helped them!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Enchanter wrote:I've been reading some youtube comments and one lady had a doctor suggest getting surgery for her uvula/tongue. Come to think about it... My doctor looked down my tongue and said that I have a ''little thing.'' And now I realize that he may have been referring to my uvula being in the way. If I get a surgery, can it help?
My gawd, you're such a joke! Reading YOUTUBE comments? Really? WHY DON'T YOU DO SOME RESEARCH ON THIS FORUM INSTEAD??? You've been a registered user for over two months; have you done ANY reading here to educate yourself on this condition? Some people have elected to have surgery, and their stories are easily found here, but they're usually not for the faint of heart.

Are we doctors? Do we know anything about you (other than you're a royal PITA)? NOOOOOO. Talk to your fucking doctor! Jeezus!
(And no kidding here!)
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:33 pm

palerider wrote:
Enchanter wrote: If I get a surgery, can it help?
well, as you saw on the internet, some people certainly say it's helped them!

Right, right
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Come on BB, if you don't have anything positive to contribute, stay away from this thread. What is to be gained from demeaning another forum member by telling him he is a joke and cursing him?

49er

BleepingBeauty wrote:
Enchanter wrote:I've been reading some youtube comments and one lady had a doctor suggest getting surgery for her uvula/tongue. Come to think about it... My doctor looked down my tongue and said that I have a ''little thing.'' And now I realize that he may have been referring to my uvula being in the way. If I get a surgery, can it help?
My gawd, you're such a joke! Reading YOUTUBE comments? Really? WHY DON'T YOU DO SOME RESEARCH ON THIS FORUM INSTEAD??? You've been a registered user for over two months; have you done ANY reading here to educate yourself on this condition? Some people have elected to have surgery, and their stories are easily found here, but they're usually not for the faint of heart.

Are we doctors? Do we know anything about you (other than you're a royal PITA)? NOOOOOO. Talk to your fucking doctor! Jeezus!
(And no kidding here!)

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:01 pm

49er wrote:Come on BB, if you don't have anything positive to contribute, stay away from this thread. What is to be gained from demeaning another forum member by telling him he is a joke and cursing him?
reality is often unkind, just watch national geographic.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:12 pm

palerider wrote:
49er wrote:Come on BB, if you don't have anything positive to contribute, stay away from this thread. What is to be gained from demeaning another forum member by telling him he is a joke and cursing him?
reality is often unkind, just watch national geographic.
Hmm, so that is justification for bullying and verbally assaulting someone on this board? Is that the the type of board you want this to be?

If you are the good guy PR that people claim you are, there is no way in heck you should be defending BB's behavior even if she is your friend. Good guys don't do this by saying that reality is often unkind. They stand up for what is right.

49er

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:25 pm

49er
Kindly BTFO, 49er. I *did* tell him to research THIS FORUM instead of reading stupid YouTube comments. He can read YouTube comments, but he can't read anything HERE? To date, he hasn't done ONE THING to help himself. He not only continues to ask questions here that nobody can answer, but he goes off on tangents about permanently "fixing" his apnea some other way. There's a lot of collective experience on this forum, but he obviously chooses not to take advantage of any of it.

But you can keep coddling and enabling Enchanter's crap if you want to; just don't tell me what or where to post whatever I want to in response.

And don't you dare talk to ME about bullying...
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:30 pm

49er wrote:Hmm, so that is justification for bullying and verbally assaulting someone on this board? Is that the the type of board you want this to be?

If you are the good guy PR that people claim you are, there is no way in heck you should be defending BB's behavior even if she is your friend. Good guys don't do this by saying that reality is often unkind. They stand up for what is right.
what is RIGHT and life according to you are often very different things.

put on your thinking hat and step back, and examine the reality of what has happened...

months of posts, untold hours of advice and help, allegedly donated equipment, and yet what progress has been made?

still no reported diagnosis, still no evidence of a sleep study, no reports of any results, absolutely NO knowledge has been transferred into the incessant questioner... someone who can't put a mask together after being given multiple videos showing clearly how it works. someone who pops up YOUTUBE COMMENTS as subject matter...

it's been a long, winding road, and yet, we're just about in the same place we were at the beginning.

what is RIGHT? the complete insanity of continuing to do the same, ineffective, non-productive thing over, and over, and over?

what would be RIGHT would be to refuse to respond to ANY MORE of his posts, and just say "tell your mom or dad to log in" do do what kaiasgram said BACK IN APRIL: "In fact I'm convinced that people's staying engaged with him on this forum -- no matter how well intended -- is keeping him distracted and disinclined to seek the help he really needs and which no one here is in a position to provide. I have compassion for his suffering and I feel strongly that the most helpful thing all of us can do at this point is to draw the line, stop responding to all his posts, put an end to these dysfunctional circular dialogues, and hope that he will then turn his attention to getting the appropriate professional (medical and mental health) care. "

that's what I think is RIGHT.

of course, you won't agree, because it doesn't fit your preconceived notions.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:32 pm

My doctor said I have a large uvula; I may look into surgery, since the "gold standard" hasn't done me so well.

Mask: Flexifit 407

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Hmmm - that attack on 49er seems a bit harsh considering... people should be allowed to express their ideas without getting that kind of response... to me that was a difference of opinion, not something to elicit labelling.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:44 pm

Julie wrote:Hmmm - that attack on 49er seems a bit harsh considering... people should be allowed to express their ideas without getting that kind of response... to me that was a difference of opinion, not something to elicit labelling.
what attack? did it get spam deleted before I saw it? there's been a fair amount of abuse of that going around.