Feel like a failure already!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mzdawn74

Re: Feel like a failure already!

Post by mzdawn74 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:40 pm

Enchanter wrote:I'm new too and frustrated, confused. Want to get better.
I'm just mentally, physically, and emotionally drained! I feel like everyday that I continue to feel like this I am losing more and more brain cells. Things that used to come naturally, now requires great thought (which my thought process is very disorganized and confused) and a ridiculous amount of effort. Which results in many errors..I get so frustrated!! I want this to work so bad..I'm in tears right now and just don't know what to do. I don't want to feel so run down and stupid all of the time.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Before you do your awake practice hunt up a good exciting and /or funny movie. Put on your cpap machine and mask and watch the movie - get your mind off the mask and machine. Teach your body mind that it doesn't have to pay any attention to what is happening, that it is a perfectly safe thing to do, like wearing a bra, it may be a bit uncomfortable at first but you get used to it. It is just a bra for your nose (For you gentlemen out there reading it think jock strap) You need it to function.

My sleep doc said it can take up to a month for your brain to trust this thing on your face. Your sleeping brain has worked hard for years to keep you from dying in your sleep and it isn't going to trust this thing on your face the first while, you have to prove that it works. Salute that defender who kept you alive and respect it and work with it.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:48 pm

mzdawn74 wrote:
I'm just mentally, physically, and emotionally drained! I feel like everyday that I continue to feel like this I am losing more and more brain cells. Things that used to come naturally, now requires great thought (which my thought process is very disorganized and confused) and a ridiculous amount of effort. Which results in many errors..I get so frustrated!! I want this to work so bad..I'm in tears right now and just don't know what to do. I don't want to feel so run down and stupid all of the time.
Dawn, try my suggestion. Really. And please don't let Enchanter's anxiety increase your own. You will be able to adjust to the sensations of CPAP.

Lookingforhoe55

Post by Lookingforhoe55 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:02 pm

I just started Cpap therapy 3 days ago. Already got rid of he nasal pillows after two nights. Yuck. Don't give up dawn. Many people say it takes time to adjust and then we will feel better. I'm really down that I need Cpap, but trying to see the positives and work on a good perspective.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:08 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Before you do your awake practice hunt up a good exciting and /or funny movie. Put on your cpap machine and mask and watch the movie - get your mind off the mask and machine. Teach your body mind that it doesn't have to pay any attention to what is happening, that it is a perfectly safe thing to do, like wearing a bra, it may be a bit uncomfortable at first but you get used to it. It is just a bra for your nose (For you gentlemen out there reading it think jock strap) You need it to function.

My sleep doc said it can take up to a month for your brain to trust this thing on your face. Your sleeping brain has worked hard for years to keep you from dying in your sleep and it isn't going to trust this thing on your face the first while, you have to prove that it works. Salute that defender who kept you alive and respect it and work with it.
Thank you Blackspinner. You always are the voice of reason when I feel I'm going to lose it! I really trust your insight, opinions, and suggestions. I will give this a try first, and if it doesn't work then I can look into changing my pressure.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:17 pm

kaiasgram wrote:
mzdawn74 wrote:
Dawn, try my suggestion. Really. And please don't let Enchanter's anxiety increase your own. You will be able to adjust to the sensations of CPAP.
I will give it a try. I hope I can get used to the sensations of cpap..my life depends on it! Thank you for your support.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Lookingforhoe55 wrote:I just started Cpap therapy 3 days ago. Already got rid of he nasal pillows after two nights. Yuck. Don't give up dawn. Many people say it takes time to adjust and then we will feel better. I'm really down that I need Cpap, but trying to see the positives and work on a good perspective.
Thank you for your response and sharing some of your issues with me.

Think of being on cpap as your key to a new more healthier life rather than an inconvenience or something you should be ashamed of. Do people with asthma or high blood pressure feel bad about the medications or the nebulizer they need? Well, neither should you!! I wish that things would be a lot easier when it comes to getting this therapy started, but then again if it was easy it probably wouldn't work! haha

We both just have to keep at it and we will be successful in no time. Then we can come on here and offer help to the newbies who are feeling the pains of starting up like us. Good luck!

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:46 pm

Hey, I've used a few different nasal pillow masks, and each of them, if securely positioned, I could not feel the air going in at all. Just wondering if yours is a good fit or secure. Also, I get my mask securely in place before turning the air on. I don't like that initial burst of air if the pillows aren't in place. Keep an eye on the details of your sleep. How long to fall asleep... How soon afterward did you wake up... that kind of detail. It could help to determine if you are having trouble during the ramp period, etc. Although the outcome can't be guaranteed, if I were a betting woman I would bet on the sensation of the air being no big deal very soon. I remember it not taking me long before I was feeling of the machine to be sure it was still working. All these sensations are new and you've got lots of good tips on getting acclimated. Your first few days has little bearing on your ability to succeed with this treatment. If you have no respiratory issues to make this a bad idea, I suggest aromatherapy. Get you some safe essential oils intended for aromatherapy. Dab a few drops on a cotton ball and place it behind the air intake on the back of your machine. Maybe use a scent thought to be relaxing, like lavender. There are oils from a company called Pur-Sleep that I've used. Anything you can do to make the experience more pleasant.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:53 pm

You're not a failure. You've gotten through the first night. I remember the pressure feeling so high that I couldn't stand it early in treatment. Now, I barely feel the air pressure at all. I needed a change from a constant pressure to a auto-adjusting pressure (APAP). Try the different sizes of nasal pillows. Try using it when you are awake, just so you know how it feels. Things will get better!!

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:06 am

kteague wrote:Hey, I've used a few different nasal pillow masks, and each of them, if securely positioned, I could not feel the air going in at all. Just wondering if yours is a good fit or secure. Also, I get my mask securely in place before turning the air on. I don't like that initial burst of air if the pillows aren't in place. Keep an eye on the details of your sleep. How long to fall asleep... How soon afterward did you wake up... that kind of detail. It could help to determine if you are having trouble during the ramp period, etc. Although the outcome can't be guaranteed, if I were a betting woman I would bet on the sensation of the air being no big deal very soon. I remember it not taking me long before I was feeling of the machine to be sure it was still working. All these sensations are new and you've got lots of good tips on getting acclimated. Your first few days has little bearing on your ability to succeed with this treatment. If you have no respiratory issues to make this a bad idea, I suggest aromatherapy. Get you some safe essential oils intended for aromatherapy. Dab a few drops on a cotton ball and place it behind the air intake on the back of your machine. Maybe use a scent thought to be relaxing, like lavender. There are oils from a company called Pur-Sleep that I've used. Anything you can do to make the experience more pleasant.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into the aromatherapy, it just might help.

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:06 am

MarylandCPAPer wrote:You're not a failure. You've gotten through the first night. I remember the pressure feeling so high that I couldn't stand it early in treatment. Now, I barely feel the air pressure at all. I needed a change from a constant pressure to a auto-adjusting pressure (APAP). Try the different sizes of nasal pillows. Try using it when you are awake, just so you know how it feels. Things will get better!!
Thank you!

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:23 am

Dawn,

You have received excellent advice from many people. I particularly like Kaiasgram's suggestions regarding starting out at the 4 pressure during the day so you can start getting comfortable with it. I can assure you she is definitely right that it won't feel like enough pressure and that you will want more which hopefully will lead to comfort with the currently prescribed one.

Are you comfortable with the P10 mask because that might be another reason you could be having trouble? I know it takes time to get used to a mask but you also want to make sure you're not hopelessly trying to making something work that isn't going to. I learned that lesson the hard way so that is why I was asking.

49er

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:40 pm

49er wrote:Dawn,

You have received excellent advice from many people. I particularly like Kaiasgram's suggestions regarding starting out at the 4 pressure during the day so you can start getting comfortable with it. I can assure you she is definitely right that it won't feel like enough pressure and that you will want more which hopefully will lead to comfort with the currently prescribed one.

Are you comfortable with the P10 mask because that might be another reason you could be having trouble? I know it takes time to get used to a mask but you also want to make sure you're not hopelessly trying to making something work that isn't going to. I learned that lesson the hard way so that is why I was asking.

49er
Yes, I have received excellent advise from very knowledgeable people here. The mask is fine. I actually had an OK night last night. I changed the pillow size from a x-small to small, changed the humidity level to 2, and adjusted the EPR to 2. I did also take a small dose of ambient too, but overall the comfort level of the pressure was much better.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:14 pm

mzdawn74 wrote:I changed the pillow size from a x-small to small, changed the humidity level to 2, and adjusted the EPR to 2.
Yowza! You are taking charge of your therapy!

mzdawn74

Post by mzdawn74 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:17 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
mzdawn74 wrote:I changed the pillow size from a x-small to small, changed the humidity level to 2, and adjusted the EPR to 2.
Yowza! You are taking charge of your therapy!

Yep!! I am able to make those changes because of the awesome people/advice that is here, otherwise I'd be stuck waiting on a doctor or respiratory therapist to help me. It feels good to know I can be in charge of this whole process. I feel empowered and confident it will work!

Thank you so much to everyone who has been providing me with support, suggestions, and advice.