Newly diagnosed-- what to expect?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kakkles

Re: Newly diagnosed-- what to expect?

Post by Kakkles » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:51 am

Thanks Marylander! I am claustrophobic so it's good to hear the nasal pillows are a good fit. What if you tend to be a mouth breather? I have heard people talk about chin straps. I have also heard people talking about taping their mouths! That seems a bit scary to me!

Right now I am in the waiting zone. I have 2 weeks to go before my appoint with the tech. I have no idea of my results, what machine they are going to give me or anything. I see my Dr before I go to tech so I will ask about the results. I have been researching machines and listening to people's opinions on this forum. I like the Resmed 10 auto for her. But whether they suggest that model for me I have no idea? I have good insurance coverage so I want a good machine. I know my Dr has to write a prescription for machine and masks so I will discuss my wants then with her. I may be in left field and thinking I have any say, but I'm just guessing at this point.

I just don't want to be given a low end machine because the tech gave it to me to try. I guess I just don't know what to expect at this appointment. It's 1 to 1 1/2 hrs long she said. I again am assuming that I get a trial machine and mask before I do the big purchase?

I look forward to no headaches in am and throughout day and that constant tiredness, no energy zombie like life! As much as I am anxious to have to use all this new equipment, I'm also trying to think positive about the future benefits.

I find this site very helpful, a bit overwhelming, but good info!

Thank you for your message, I appreciate it!

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:21 am

I just realized you are from Canada. Things may work a little differently than in the US. Not sure how it works in Canada, but in the US, we are not given a trial machine or mask. Insurance in the US typically pays for one CPAP machine every 5 years, so what we start out with is what we have, unless we buy another machine at our own expense.. You have the right to ask for the CPAP machine you want, not just take what you are "given." The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is the machine my DME said they are providing as a replacement for the machine I have, after 5.5 years. I have been advised by people here to ask for the "FOR HER" version, even if I was not a "her," because it has an additional algorithm for figuring out air pressure that the standard model doesn't have. It appears that a heated humidifier comes with the machine.

I am familiar with two major brands of machines, ResMed and Respironics.. I currently have a Respironics System One APAP machine and am fairly happy with it (except that is about to croak after 5.5 years of extensive use), but the DME said there are problems with the humidifier on the new equivalent model of my CPAP machine, so they switched to the ResMed S10. Just to be sure, I made sure my dr. specified that model on the CPAP order. The CPAP order ideally should specify a pressure range, so that you get an APAP machine, not a machine that only can be set at one constant pressure.

The CPAP order should also specify "Mask of patient's choice," so that you can select a mask that you think it comfortable. The DME typically gives you a few masks to try on and shows you how to operate the machine. I've found that a lot of the respiratory therapists at the DMEs I've dealt with also use CPAP, so they've been very helpful to me. You can always ask questions here, too.

I would say that I used to be a mouth breather before CPAP. You can get your dr. to prescribe a chin strap. I haven't tried taping. I think I have learned to keep my mouth shut and definitely breathe through my nose now when hooked up with the nasal pillows and CPAP on.

Look forward to treatment as a positive experience. It takes a little while to get used to it, but it should make you feel a lot better.

Last edited by MarylandCPAPer on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:26 am

The two companies named are the most popular and give lots of data, but there are a couple of others (like mine) that are very well made, reliable, far less expensive and still give data... might want to look at more choices (Cpap.com has excellent presentation to see everything - pix, graphs, reviews, etc).

Kakkles

Post by Kakkles » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:35 am

Marylander: that's the machine I am looking at. Resmed for her. But I guess I will see what they present me at the appointment. When it comes time to buy that is the machine I will get my Dr to prescribe. I believe my insurance covers 80% and does replace every 5 yrs as well. They will go over that at the appointment as well. I gave them my insurance numbers.

I keep thinking of the benefits and try to focus on that rather than on all trials I will face with getting the right fit.
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I will keep in touch as I go along. The information received on here is awesome.

Julie: thanks for the site. I will look at it right away. I see you are from Canada. Did you get to trial a machine or have to purchase right away when you first got set up?

Thanks again!

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:59 pm

The DME has to give you what the doctor prescribes, so I think that your best shot is at the doctor's appointment. Ask him to write a prescription for the machine of your choice and hand you the prescription. You can always fax it to the DME but you want a copy anyway.

So convince the doctor that you want to be very involved in your therapy and take an active interest in the details. You want to look at the detailed data of how you are sleeping each night. And you want to get the autoset for her model because it has the most operating modes. The DME gets paid the same amount so the cheaper the machine he can get away with giving you, the more money he makes. It's a terrible system, assuming the Canadian system is similar to the U.S.

But if the doctor prescribes a specific machine, that should be what the DME has to provide. So I would do my research and have a list of reasons why the machine of your choice is the best option and get the doctor to write it on the prescription. Most doctors like it when a patient has put in the time and effort to research their treatment.

Good luck!

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi - when I started I was on my now ex's insurance, so it was a rental deal, but I've been on my own for years now and have no trouble (get most of my stuff through Cpap.com - no duty to pay as pkge stickers read 'med device' or something), and pick up little accessories from local places.

Kakkles

Post by Kakkles » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:50 pm

So I would do my research and have a list of reasons why the machine of your choice is the best option and get the doctor to write it on the prescription. Most doctors like it when a patient has put in the time and effort to research their treatment.

Great advice! I have been researching ALOT....i will let my Dr know my preferences...

Thanks again everyone!

purple

Post by purple » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Kakkles

Post by Kakkles » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks purple! Very good information. After reading a lot of posts on here I am starting to feel like the DME is not 100% vested in my best interests.

I found out today I go to the appointment, they discuss my results from overnight test( at home not in sleep clinic), and then discuss machines, products and I give them $250 to test a rental for 1 month while it collects data. After 1 month I return machine, get a refund and they review data to see if it helped me at all then if so I look at purchasing a machine myself.

Seems like a decent way to go. Least not paying up front for something that may not be helping me?

If you have mild sleep apnea and struggle with the cpap machine, masks is it just as harmful to quit using it altogether than if you had severe sleep apnea?

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:11 pm

CPAP treatment requires a period of adjustment and you may need adjustments in your machine, settings, CPAP or adjustable PAP pressure, etc. I don't know how it is in Canada, but when I have met with people at the DME, they often are people who use CPAP and are quite knowledgeable and helpful. Maybe I just got lucky, but the DMEs I have dealt with have provided equipment that met my needs and was adjustable before I even knew what my needs were. You do want to make sure you get a machine that has the ability to use a range of CPAP pressure that adjusts to your sleep/breathing, not just one constant pressure.

That said, I am meeting with a DME today to get my second CPAP machine after 5.5 years and I have read that article with interest, but not expecting any problems. I requested the respiratory therapist at the DME who I initially met with 1.5 years ago (when I had to switch DMEs due to an insurance change), and I don't anticipate any problems getting the equipment and supplies I need. This time, though, I got lots of questions answered here and got my dr. to write a prescription for the exact model of machine recommended here. It also happens to be the one that the DME's office told me they would provide as a follow-up machine to the one I have been using.

If you have sleep apnea for which a CPAP machine has been prescribed, it is best to get used to the idea of using CPAP long-term, for your health and well being. It should help you sleep better and feel healthier. It's not that hard to get used to. Adjustments may be needed to the initial settings of the machine or the mask, so don't give up if things don't go well at first. Knowledgeable people here are very generous in answering questions and helping people try to get the most out of their treatment.

Good luck with starting treatment!

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

purple

Post by purple » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Maryland CPAPer is accurate.

Two years ago, while meeting with my Cardiologist, I was speaking with his nurse. The nurse said, "that since she started working in Cardiology, she had discovered the importance of Sleep Apnea treatment. Many heart patients needed sleep apnea treatment. Those who did not get sleep apnea treatment, had poor outcomes. Several organs need good amounts of O2 to function well, versus fail. The heart is not the only organ sensitive to low O2 levels. Kidneys. Eyes. Brain. Also fail. May take years of poorer and poorer quality life. The out come of a lack of Sleep Apnea treatment is inevitable, and it is not good.

On the other hand, it is incredible how much one can improve ones overall quality of life by following doctors advice. Not just Sleep Apnea Treatment.

While the general complaint on this board is that DME's are not what they should be, I on the other hand, have only found really fine DME's (and Sleep Docs) who were anxious to help, and not as concerned with profit as one might think. Usually DME employees are of different classes, those who are there to help, were only concerned with helping me, even if the DME (their employer) lost money. They knew nothing of billing and could not even tell me how much I owed. That was not important to them helping me.

I realize that Titrations, in a good sleep lab, or at home, are not pleasant. Usually the first few hours of a sleep titration one does not get enough air pressure to be useful, and one is often awake. This is worse in trying to keep the mask with leaking when one is not used to using masks at all. However, if one can overcome the frustrations, treatment can improve ones quality of life.

Best Wishes.

Kakkles

Post by Kakkles » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:40 pm

purple wrote:However, if one can overcome the frustrations, treatment can improve ones quality of life.

Best Wishes.
I agree and that's what motivates me. It's scary as well to hear the results of untreated sleep apnea. Thanks for that eye opener. I guess sleep apnea is sleep apnea whether mild or severe and needs to be treated.

I will report my experience with my DME once I see her. Hopefully will be positive too!

Off to sleep....can't wait to wake up soon feeling decent. Been so long since I know what that's like!

Thanks again for everyone's input. Information is education.

Kakkles

Post by Kakkles » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Found the nose cream at the pharmacy! YAY cause I live in a smaller town. Same brand mentioned too! Impressed...lol (I already have a sore nostril so am going to try that and see how it works!)

Kakkles

Post by Kakkles » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:43 pm

I have a question..and sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else, i couldn't find it...

Have a lot of people found that before they were diagnosed with OSA, and had troubles sleeping, that they were prescribed sleeping medication? And once you were diagnosed with OSA, did you still have to use it or get titrated off of it?

I am just curious as I have used sleeping medication for yrs now because of poor sleep and wonder if after good tx on CPAP if one can come off it?

purple

Post by purple » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 pm

Might be possible to get off medication or reduce it. Actually depends on your experience in real life. Please realize I do not know what the medication is, or what your are taking it for. Also guessing you are thinking that the medication makes it easier to sleep, and perhaps helps to make you less alert. Or it has some side effect/cost which is why you are concerned about that med right away.

Usually, what happens. One uses the Sleep Apnea machine for four or five weeks, then has a consult with a sleep doc. Where he will first be concerned with how you are feeling. Whether the leaks are under control. Are you satisfied with your mask. Any general questions you might have, including the one about the medicine.

There is a saying on the forum that your sleep apnea treatment is right, according to how you feel. (there is a better way to say that) That is, we talk about leaks, and AHI in numbers on a graph. but if you are not happy, then no matter how good the numbers on the graph, it is not right, and often something can be done about it.