Getting set up with my CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoocrewphoto

Re: Getting set up with my CPAP machine

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:24 am

Enchanter wrote:
Papit wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote: Your daytime oxygen has nothing to do with your sleep apnea. Most people with sleep apnea have normal oxygen saturation when upright and awake. I don't understand why you are bringing it up. It sounds like your only health problem is bad sleep. (maybe the allergies too, but that usually doesn't cause the problems you are talking about) So, once you have the cpap optimized AND you get 7+ hours a night, then you should be feeling much better. right now, it is too early to have the cpap optimized. And it will take some practice before you get enough hours of sleep. Focus on those two things and don't worry about other stuff right now.
+1 She's saying it exactly right, Enchanter.

Papit, the machine doesn't seem to allow me to adjust the cm to lower than 13. I pressed every button.
You will need to be in the clinician's mode. Have your mom look at it with the manual. They don't make it obvious. I have a different machine, so I can't help you. But with my machine, you have to hold down certain buttons together. You won't find it without reading the manual.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:26 am

How do u avoid leaks? With the machine I have now, I can't even avoid leaks even while awake. If it moves a fraction of a cm, it starts beeping.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:37 am

Enchanter wrote:How do u avoid leaks? With the machine I have now, I can't even avoid leaks even while awake. If it moves a fraction of a cm, it starts beeping.
Are you having the leaks at the nasal pillows, or the part around your mouth? Is it hissing or farting? Some of it can be adjusted. Sometimes a liner helps. Sometimes it is the wrong mask. I only tried a hybrid mask a few times as I couldn't get the nasal pillows to stay in place for more than a couple hours. I went back to my full face mask. It had some leaks when I started, but I learned where to place it so that it didn't leak. I also had to get smaller headgear as the standard was too large for my head.

For you, it will depend on where it leaks. If it is the nasal pillows, then people here can give you advice. If you have more than one size of nasal pillow, you might try the other size and see if it fits better. If it is the mouth part, you might try making a liner from a t-shirt. Or ask your mom for some help. It is pretty easy and cheap, and it works for a lot of people.

You may also need to loosen the straps so that the cushion can inflate, and then slowly make adjustments to see what works best.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:40 am

When you have untreated OSA you sleep many hours trying to get rested, but the OSA won't allow it - wakes your body, if not your mind, many, many times while you're asleep, which is what tires you out. When your OSA is treated with Cpap, you don't NEED as much sleep time because you're getting more rest (from apnea events). You wouldn't sleep as many hours as you did when you were untreated. Not rocket science!

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:47 am

postitnote wrote:
Tatooed Lady wrote:
Really? you want to try and suggest you're a miracle worker, and when called on it, you respond with THAT? wow. Witty. Or something. You SHOULD realize by now that Enchanter takes a lot of things VERY literally. And once something gets in his head, even if wrong, it's all but impossible to put him on a better path. So, unless you're a DOCTOR, or can go sit by his side, you should keep your little tattooed digits from putting it in his head that you're his savior.
I don't claim to be anyone's savior! I am someone trying to help a person who needs help and has asked for help. You on the other hand are a bitch who is more concerned about chiming in on a thread for no other reason but to cause a ruckus. You don't care about Enchanter. You only care about being a PITA!

Since you're not back on the road that must mean you are a lot lizzard. They don't keep regular hours. Shoo!
Pointing out that your "help" will be 98% overlooked, and of the remainder, partly misinterpreted makes me a PITA? Funny, I would think that HELP would be keeping info in short, concise bits that are more easily understood, especially since Enchanter has REPEATEDLY SAID that he can't pay attention long enough even to get through a manual with enough taken away to figure out what the humidifier dial is. Maybe you MISSED that??? But, hey...when you want to try and show off your perceived knowledge, why not try for the Great American Novel, and throw in a couple lame attempts at insulting a truck driver, because she told you to ditch the God complex. NO problem. I've seen your type before, and while I haven't made E my "pet project," it doesn't mean that watching your posts hasn't made me nauseous. BTW, nice of YOU of all people to call me names. *snork* And, boy...you must be proud to know about 34 resets and lot lizards. Unfortunately, though you know a few TERMS, you are obviously too dense to properly apply them. From a broad with FU inked in another language, prominently displayed on her finger, I guess it's not surprising.

Enchanter- slow the hell down. Look at your machine, look at the manual. Learn what the buttons and dials ARE, and, one at a time, what they DO. Stop trying for a gold medal in worst case scenario. You don't need to worry over oxygen being added, first because you don't HAVE THAT EQUIPMENT. Second, you don't even have a prescribed machine, just the donation. Focus on what you HAVE.
Wear the mask while relaxing and watching tv. A couple days learning to use the equipment instead of working out at the gym will be in your best interest, assuming you have OSA.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:47 am

Tatooed Lady wrote:
postitnote wrote:
Tatooed Lady wrote:
Really? you want to try and suggest you're a miracle worker, and when called on it, you respond with THAT? wow. Witty. Or something. You SHOULD realize by now that Enchanter takes a lot of things VERY literally. And once something gets in his head, even if wrong, it's all but impossible to put him on a better path. So, unless you're a DOCTOR, or can go sit by his side, you should keep your little tattooed digits from putting it in his head that you're his savior.
I don't claim to be anyone's savior! I am someone trying to help a person who needs help and has asked for help. You on the other hand are a bitch who is more concerned about chiming in on a thread for no other reason but to cause a ruckus. You don't care about Enchanter. You only care about being a PITA!

Since you're not back on the road that must mean you are a lot lizzard. They don't keep regular hours. Shoo!
Pointing out that your "help" will be 98% overlooked, and of the remainder, partly misinterpreted makes me a PITA? Funny, I would think that HELP would be keeping info in short, concise bits that are more easily understood, especially since Enchanter has REPEATEDLY SAID that he can't pay attention long enough even to get through a manual with enough taken away to figure out what the humidifier dial is. Maybe you MISSED that??? But, hey...when you want to try and show off your perceived knowledge, why not try for the Great American Novel, and throw in a couple lame attempts at insulting a truck driver, because she told you to ditch the God complex. NO problem. I've seen your type before, and while I haven't made E my "pet project," it doesn't mean that watching your posts hasn't made me nauseous. BTW, nice of YOU of all people to call me names. *snork* And, boy...you must be proud to know about 34 resets and lot lizards. Unfortunately, though you know a few TERMS, you are obviously too dense to properly apply them. From a broad with FU inked in another language, prominently displayed on her finger, I guess it's not surprising.

Enchanter- slow the hell down. Look at your machine, look at the manual. Learn what the buttons and dials ARE, and, one at a time, what they DO. Stop trying for a gold medal in worst case scenario. You don't need to worry over oxygen being added, first because you don't HAVE THAT EQUIPMENT. Second, you don't even have a prescribed machine, just the donation. Focus on what you HAVE.
Wear the mask while relaxing and watching tv. A couple days learning to use the equipment instead of working out at the gym will be in your best interest, assuming you have OSA.
My husband has driven a truck for 50 years. I know a lot about the lingo. I also know a lot about what the male dominated truck driving industry thinks of women drivers. Lastly, I don't give a flying F what you think about me or my tattoos. Weird you call yourself "tattooed frog" and you comment on my hand tats! I bet you have a pink Peterbilt tat don't you?

Not responding to you anymore. Nothing you say matters to me. You are here to cause trouble only.
Morbius, are you bored?

Papit

Post by Papit » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:22 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Enchanter wrote:

Papit, the machine doesn't seem to allow me to adjust the cm to lower than 13. I pressed every button.
You will need to be in the clinician's mode. Have your mom look at it with the manual. They don't make it obvious. I have a different machine, so I can't help you. But with my machine, you have to hold down certain buttons together. You won't find it without reading the manual.
I understand that the machine sent to you was set a long time ago for a steady 13. If you want to lower it, I would let my mom do it as zoocrewphoto suggests.

How does breathing feel to you at that setting? Nice and normal, too fast, too slow? Blowing too strong, too weak?

PulseOx Data-transfer to OSCAR4-23-12http://tinyurl.com/nzd64gu
Wireless SD Card Data-transfer to OSCAR 8-14-15http://tiny.cc/z1kv8x

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:21 pm

It looks like there isn't a way to lower it. I'm starting to doubt if I ever made progress.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Sonnyboy

Post by Sonnyboy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 pm

1. Did you call your doctor and schedule your follow-up appointment?
2. How long were you on CPAP last night?
3. Are you reading your manual and beginning to identify the parts of your machine and what they are for?

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:41 pm

postitnote wrote:
Tatooed Lady wrote:
postitnote wrote:
Tatooed Lady wrote:

My husband has driven a truck for 50 years. I know a lot about the lingo. I also know a lot about what the male dominated truck driving industry thinks of women drivers. Lastly, I don't give a flying F what you think about me or my tattoos. Weird you call yourself "tattooed frog" and you comment on my hand tats! I bet you have a pink Peterbilt tat don't you?

Not responding to you anymore. Nothing you say matters to me. You are here to cause trouble only.
Just because someone else does something for 50 years does NOT mean that you know squat about the realities. Respect (or disdain, in your case) are EARNED. And I happen to LIKE pink. Its a nice color. Petes, however, are overrated. No e of which addresses the issue I brought up earlier, that ENCHANTER HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO ABSORB THE LONGWINDED POSTS, AND NEEDS THINGS BROKEN INTO SMALLER, SIMPLER TERMS. I don't have to LOVE the guy, and MY therapy and life are in no way affected by his success or failure, but I have still PAID ATTENTION. So try swallowing your silly fantasies about being a lot lizard and being witty and TRY to minimize the info you're trying to get him to absorb. Using a firehose to water a small, fragile plant MAY supply moisture, but won't do SHIT for making it healthy.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:
postitnote wrote:
Tatooed Lady wrote:
postitnote wrote:
Tatooed Lady wrote:

Just because someone else does something for 50 years does NOT mean that you know squat about the realities. Respect (or disdain, in your case) are EARNED. And I happen to LIKE pink. Its a nice color. Petes, however, are overrated. No e of which addresses the issue I brought up earlier, that ENCHANTER HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO ABSORB THE LONGWINDED POSTS, AND NEEDS THINGS BROKEN INTO SMALLER, SIMPLER TERMS. I don't have to LOVE the guy, and MY therapy and life are in no way affected by his success or failure, but I have still PAID ATTENTION. So try swallowing your silly fantasies about being a lot lizard and being witty and TRY to minimize the info you're trying to get him to absorb. Using a firehose to water a small, fragile plant MAY supply moisture, but won't do SHIT for making it healthy.
Tatoo lady please don't chastise PostitNote. She has been a world of help for me and does her best.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Enchanter wrote:It looks like there isn't a way to lower it. I'm starting to doubt if I ever made progress.
Of course there is! I changed it when I got it from someone else. I'm not sure you can do this yourself because it may be too complicated. You have the provider manual that I sent you and it is on it.
Morbius, are you bored?

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 pm

I didn't sleep with machine last night sorry. Felt the pressure was too high and I didn't want to wake up after 3 hours the be tired the rest of the day. Well I did sleep more and am tired in a different way, just confused...
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Of course there's a way to lower the pressure, but you have to use the manual (or your mother does) and follow directions. Not everything comes with a map of 1-2-3 steps and big red dials. We've all done it and don't need spoon feeding for every little step, and you're going to have to sit down, look at the directions, start with #1, do it, then move onto the next thing. Don't read the whole instruction bk at one time and throw up your hands, make an effort to get one little step done, then continue with the next one, and the next... not rocket science, but some persistence. 80 yr olds with little if any tech knowledge or ability do it... and you can too.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Guys check out these videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHePWS9NfvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJysIYGbLc

Yoga breathing techniques and throat exercises. Do they eliminate sleep apnea?
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier