My First Two Nights

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
corvallisgrace75

Re: My First Two Nights

Post by corvallisgrace75 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:15 pm

palerider wrote:
corvallisgrace75 wrote:Hi Pugsy. It's an Elite.
if you want to select the machine in the equipment list, then it's this one:
AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier

a S10 is a small pickup truck
Of course it's a pickup truck! That's just how I roll, Palerider.
Mask: AIRFIT P-10 4 HER/AIRFTI MAS FOR HER NASAL PILLOW
ResMed/S10 ELITE

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:43 pm

yippeekia wrote: my father may have been OSA patient zero
In case anyone is curious,
The pivotal moment was a night in June 1980 when we first tested the idea that positive pressure, applied just through the nasal airway, could stop obstructive apnea. Although I had the idea several months previously, at that time we saw only very few patients, so we had to wait for an appropriate patient to do the experiments. The patient in whom the first test was done had very severe sleep apnea and had come under my care at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where I was a physician in the Respiratory Unit. He was so severe that I had recommended a tracheotomy as an urgent procedure. However, he and his family refused surgery, but he was happy to volunteer for the pressure experiment. We put together the breathing circuit in the afternoon, and then used plastic tubes and a rapid setting silicone sealant to provide access to the nasal airway. Within minutes of the full polysomnography (PSG) set-up, the patient had gone to sleep and developed repetitive severe sleep apnea. I gradually increased the air pressure in the circuit, and then suddenly the apnea stopped and normal breathing appeared. It was an incredible result. As we watched in amazement, the patient went into REM sleep. I quickly decided to repeat the experiment by dropping the pressure and the apnea recurred. I went through a series of cycles increasing the pressure and so literally “turning off” the apnea, and then dropping the pressure and “turning on” the apnea. There was no uncertainty or ambiguity. The method worked. The effect was so clear and repeatable, the next question to answer was would it work all night?

Could we use it as a treatment? We decided to leave the patient on the pressure for the rest of the night. We watched as he continued to sleep for around 7 hours, without any apnea, and with the most extraordinarily intense sleep patterns. The patient’s response the next day was equally exciting. He was awake and alert for the first time in years.

http://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expe ... uture-cpap

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Nice response (and thread) Yippee! I can tell you'll get the hang of this treatment real quick! Keep it up!

Sheriff

corvallisgrace75

Post by corvallisgrace75 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:Nice response (and thread) Yippee! I can tell you'll get the hang of this treatment real quick! Keep it up!

Sheriff
Thanks for the encouragement, Sheriff! I know that change is an inevitability in our lives. And within the next month, I'll be starting a new job after 6 1/2 years in another job. I'm both scared and excited about the new job as it's essentially a career change. But it's made me realize that in dealing with the job change, as well as the CPAP therapy, I really need to take things one day at a time.
ResMed/S10 ELITE

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:16 am

Welcome! It looks like you are already making good progress and getting great advice, but I thought I'd add my two cents:
corvallisgrace75 wrote:Any suggestions for how to deal with a dry nose? Can I adjust the humidity? (I suppose I should do some more reading, eh?) I was also a bit congested.
Has this gotten better for you? I find the humidity very useful, especially during the dry times of year. Be sure to adjust it so you are comfortable. Also - it will take a few days for your face/nose to adjust to having a mask pressing against it. I've found that I can keep the mask pretty loose - just to the point where I don't hear any leaks.

How soon after starting the CPAP did you have a night of sleep where you woke up and felt amazingly rested?
It took me about 10 days before I felt "normal" when waking up. The first day was fine, the next few days were pretty bad, but after about day 5 it got better. Now, nearly 3 years in, it's an easy daily habit.

corvallisgrace75

Post by corvallisgrace75 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:03 am

yaconsult wrote:Welcome, Grace!

Here is a pictorial guide to identifying the more recent cpap machines: http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine- ... ine-resmed It can be a little tricky selecting the correct option in the equipment section of your profile - let us know if you need help finding the correct one.

I think you will find that your nose will get used to the pillows in a relatively short amount of time.

There is a large variation in the amount of time it takes people to see results. The most important thing is to be using cpap 100% of the time that you are sleeping. The next most important thing is using sleepyhead to make sure that the treatment is being effective and you aren't having any major issues or problems with leaks, pressure, etc. Then, it's just a matter of time and your body getting used to being on cpap therapy.

What were the results of your sleep study? If you like, you can add them in the last line when you fill out the equipment section of your profile as you can see in mine below.
Hi yaconsult. I meant to thank you for this post. When I had my original sleep study, I had 10 awakenings per night. I was actually told that my very large tonsils were probably causing part of the problem. I asked the doctor if removing them would help. He said that if I had them removed, it would drop my awakenings per hour to 5, which would put me in a normal range and remove the need for a CPAP. Nonetheless, I decided to go with the CPAP. At some point, I may consider surgery to remove my tonsils. I'm not sure what other results from the study I could include, or understand well enough to articulate. The sleep tech mentioned that there was a lot of Alpha Intrusion in my brain waves. But the sleep doc never mentioned that. Probably because knows I'm on medications that would have that effect.

Okay, at the risk of sounding like I haven't been doing my CPAP homework, I'm going to ask what sleepyhead is. I will say that upon waking, I have looked at the information. In the past 4 days, the average events per hour is .5. 0 leakage. And my AHI is .4 I haven't been able to discern anything about the pressure, but I know it was calibrated for 5.

Yes, it is a bit challenging to get used to the feel of the nasal pillows. I realized that having a good head pillow is really important. At any rate, I'm grateful for whatever assistance is being provided by CPAP therapy.
Last edited by corvallisgrace75 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed/S10 ELITE

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:34 am

Sleepyhead is the computer program many of us use to see the detailed info on the SD card. It is the detailed info that you need to determine if your therapy is effective or if you need to make changes. You can learn about it and download it at this link. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead Also, check out all the other links on Krevlin's ( a member here) site.
Also if you haven't got your clinical manual that tells you how to access the clinical menu, here is where you do that. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual
Scroll down to section three and follow the instructions to have them email it to you.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

corvallisgrace75

Post by corvallisgrace75 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:53 am

OkyDoky wrote:Sleepyhead is the computer program many of us use to see the detailed info on the SD card. It is the detailed info that you need to determine if your therapy is effective or if you need to make changes. You can learn about it and download it at this link. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead Also, check out all the other links on Krevlin's ( a member here) site.
Also if you haven't got your clinical manual that tells you how to access the clinical menu, here is where you do that. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual
Scroll down to section three and follow the instructions to have them email it to you.
Thanks OkyDoky! I appreciate it!
ResMed/S10 ELITE

SleepyBear83

Post by SleepyBear83 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Grace,

Just wanted to say I'm glad that your are having an easy go at CPAP so far . As for the dry nose what I have done is gradually increase my humidity setting every 3 or 4 nights to find the correct setting for me. I also use a bit of Flonase if I find I have alot of dried mucas (AKA buggers) forming. Seems to help me YMV .

corvallisgrace75

Post by corvallisgrace75 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:41 pm

SleepyBear83 wrote:Grace,

Just wanted to say I'm glad that your are having an easy go at CPAP so far . As for the dry nose what I have done is gradually increase my humidity setting every 3 or 4 nights to find the correct setting for me. I also use a bit of Flonase if I find I have alot of dried mucas (AKA buggers) forming. Seems to help me YMV .
Hi SleepyBear83. Yes, it does feel as though I have had a relatively easy go at it so far. I increased my humidity setting just a bit. I'm going to see what it will do and as you said, eventually find the right setting for me. Good to note about the Flonase. I do seem to have a lot of dried boogers in the morning. LOL!
ResMed/S10 ELITE

SleepyBear83

Post by SleepyBear83 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:03 am

Grace,

Did you find a good humidity setting for you yet?