TMJ and Full Face Masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Monstrosity

TMJ and Full Face Masks

Post by Monstrosity » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:42 am

With my allergies I've been trying to use my full face instead of the wisp mask. However I have some TMJ issues and the full face I'm using pushes my lower jaw into my skull creating pain and discomfort. I qualify for a new mask and was just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue that they resolved with a specific full face mask? The full face that I'm using is F & P Simplus.

ChicagoGranny

Re: TMJ and Full Face Masks

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:01 am

Monstrosity wrote:the full face I'm using pushes my lower jaw into my skull creating pain and discomfort
Sounds like you may have it adjusted too tightly.

Check out the AirFit F10 for a mask that should not be adjusted tightly. Watch the manufacturer's video instructions on adjusting it. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:54 am

I have modest TMJ and have always used a Quattro FF mask. It does not need to be that tight. The mask cushion needs to fill with air...it can't do that if it is too tight. I'm not familiar with the F&P but it may work similarly.....The mask shown in your profile is the Quattro FX (?)

Monstrosity

Post by Monstrosity » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:30 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Monstrosity wrote:the full face I'm using pushes my lower jaw into my skull creating pain and discomfort
Sounds like you may have it adjusted too tightly.

Check out the AirFit F10 for a mask that should not be adjusted tightly. Watch the manufacturer's video instructions on adjusting it. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html
I always try to keep my mask as loose as possible. With the F & P cushion is real spongy. I keep tightening it down until I dont have any leaks. I'll take a look at the AirFit F10, Thank you!

Monstrosity

Post by Monstrosity » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 am

LSAT wrote:I have modest TMJ and have always used a Quattro FF mask. It does not need to be that tight. The mask cushion needs to fill with air...it can't do that if it is too tight. I'm not familiar with the F&P but it may work similarly.....The mask shown in your profile is the Quattro FX (?)

I updated my profile, thank you! I had that mask when I first was diagnosed but it was too big and they swapped it out. I've been through a lot of masks thus far. The wisp has been my favorite but I open my mouth from time to time along with sinus and allergy issues. I'll look at the FF, thank you!

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:10 pm

I developed TMJ while using the Liberty. It didn't fit right, so I tightened it too much and voila--TMJ! From that point on, I buy FFMs that are larger than suggested so that they ride on the lowest part of my chin, not really pushing on the sweet spot that forces your jaw back. It took about 6 months for the TMJ to resolve. I've never had that problem again since changing mask sizes.

mrsbongo1

Post by mrsbongo1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:00 pm

I have TMJ also, I used the Forma FF mask due to the fact it helped with the mouth breathing, it has a lip at the chin but in the summer it's too hot.
I switched to the Resmed AirFit P10 for Her, it's like wearing nothing, misses all those tender place on my jaw, I'm still a mouth breather but working on it.
My TMJ is so much better with this mask.
My numbers are good too and only have a dry mouth once in a while.
Good luck, once you find THE mask it's a easy ride.
Kathy

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:27 pm

I also have TMJ problems. I also use the Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask, and agree it feels closest to feeling like wearing nothing on my face. The nasal pillows fit well and are durable. There is also a "For Her" Model with 3 sizes of nasal pillows, so between the regular and "For Her" models, that is 6 sizes of nasal pillows to try.

The mask that best addressed my TMJ problems was a Breeze nasal pillows mask, which had nothing over the jaw area at all. As far as I know, it is no longer made. It had headgear that went over the center of the face and held the hose in place above the head. I used that for 3 or 4 years, but eventually, all of my Breeze masks broke. I would go back to the Breeze in an instant if I ever found one again, but until a miracle occurs, the Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask seems to be my best bet so far. The Airfit full face mask may be another mask to check out.

I also wear a nightguard / TMJ appliance made by a dentist who specializes in TMJ treatment. I wear it on my lower teeth at night. I find that I sleep much better with it, usually.

Good luck in finding a mask that meets you needs, and please post and let us know what works for you.

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

purple

Post by purple » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:31 pm

For relief of pain during the day, one can take the first two fingers, and massage in small circles the TMJ joint itself. Helps more than one can guess. I suspect the problem may be related to higher pressures. This is one of the painful things I got rid of when I went on a Bi Level machine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:44 pm

MarylandCPAPer wrote:I also use the Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask,... There is also a "For Her" Model with 3 sizes of nasal pillows, so between the regular and "For Her" models, that is 6 sizes of nasal pillows to try..
actually, there's four sizes of pillows, xsmall, small, medium, large... the 'for her' comes with a pink headband (same size as the gray one) and the xsmall, small and medium pillows, the regular comes with the blue/gray headband, and small, medium and large pillows. the frame/hose is the same on both models.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:02 pm

palerider wrote:
MarylandCPAPer wrote:I also use the Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask,... There is also a "For Her" Model with 3 sizes of nasal pillows, so between the regular and "For Her" models, that is 6 sizes of nasal pillows to try..
actually, there's four sizes of pillows, xsmall, small, medium, large... the 'for her' comes with a pink headband (same size as the gray one) and the xsmall, small and medium pillows, the regular comes with the blue/gray headband, and small, medium and large pillows. the frame/hose is the same on both models.
Is the "medium' the same size nasal pillow on both the regular and "for her", or is the nasal pillow sizing different on the "for her" model? Is the only difference the color and the addition of xsmall to "For Her?"

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:17 pm

MarylandCPAPer wrote:
palerider wrote:
Is the "medium' the same size nasal pillow on both the regular and "for her", or is the nasal pillow sizing different on the "for her" model? Is the only difference the color and the addition of xsmall to "For Her?"
the only difference of the 'for her' is the color, not size of the strap, and the substitution of a xsmall pillow for a large pillow.

like I said, there's only four different sizes

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

hegel

Post by hegel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:55 pm

ummm...what is tmj?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:26 pm

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:08 pm

Thanks, palerider, for the clarification on nasal pillow sizes. After giving my glowing review of the Airfit P10, I slept with it for a few hours. Unfortunately, I forgot that it has straps (not too tight, but tight enough) over the jaw area. I am getting a new mask and CPAP machine this week and will ask the DME if there are any other masks that don't have straps over the jaw area. The Breeze was really great, but the Airfit model is lightweight enough that it is the "least bad" option for me if the Breeze isn't available any more. I was more aware of the TMJ related pain while using the mask after posting on this topic. Good luck and let us know what you find that helps you.