WEIGHT GAIN! In TEARS!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: WEIGHT GAIN! In TEARS!!!

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:41 pm

All this testosterone!
I'm getting wet!
Oh, wait, my lilypad sprung a leak.

nm1

Post by nm1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:17 pm

I've been using a CPAP for about five months now and have gained about twenty pounds -- without any change at all in my eating habits or my exercise habits. I've concluded that my weight must have stayed lower before the CPAP because I was not sleeping soundly -- that the deep sleep is adding the pounds. Something certainly is, and it is not what I am eating or how much I'm exercising.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:42 pm

IMO...Weight gain comes from eating and lack of exercise...(sometimes from meds)....not from sleeping.

SleepyCarey

Post by SleepyCarey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:38 pm

If you guys read the study linked on the first page of this post, it explains a main theory of the weight gain. With OSA, energy expenditure during the night is higher while we struggle to breathe (read: we're burning calories). With effective therapy that nightly energy expenditure goes away. With all else equal (they found no increase in energy expenditure during the day even on therapy and no difference in eating habits) it reasons that burning less calories every day leads to weight gain.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:48 pm

nm1 wrote:I've been using a CPAP for about five months now and have gained about twenty pounds -- without any change at all in my eating habits or my exercise habits. I've concluded that my weight must have stayed lower before the CPAP because I was not sleeping soundly -- that the deep sleep is adding the pounds. Something certainly is, and it is not what I am eating or how much I'm exercising.
It's been reported by a number of people on the forum over the years.
(I'm sure some of them posted in the previous pages but I'm not about to reread them)

It happens. But you should now be getting more oxygenated sleep and less stress on your system.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:28 pm

The way I read this report (correct me if I am wrong) is that in the test, regular users of CPAP gained from 2-11 pounds over 6 months. Based on that data all of us on this board that are compliant and use their CPA on a regular basis should be obese. (1kg = 2.2 lbs)

http://www.aasmnet.org/jcsm/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=29161

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:47 pm

In my first 8 months of therapy, I lost eight pounds--with NO conscious effort.
Then I underwent a very low carb diet for several months, and lost another 35 pounds.
The diet was too difficult to maintain forever, and most of the the weight eventually found me.

Excess weight is tenacious, no one factor will make it go away.
Now that I am fully healed from my surgery, it is time to get back on the job. This job.

SleepyCarey

Post by SleepyCarey » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:12 am

LSAT wrote:Based on that data all of us on this board that are compliant and use their CPA on a regular basis should be obese. (1kg = 2.2 lbs)
I see your point. My theory would be that eventually most patients, realizing the weight gain over time, consequently modify their activity and/or eating habits accordingly. And in doing so they end up curbing further gain or possibly even losing...

u2dan

Post by u2dan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 am

There is such thing as starvation mode. Check out dietfreelife dot com

You need to eat through your the day...including snacks to keep your metabolism up.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 am

u2dan wrote:There is such thing as starvation mode. Check out dietfreelife dot com

You need to eat through your the day...including snacks to keep your metabolism up.
You are replying to a 2 year old post...may not get a response.

Sleepyv

Post by Sleepyv » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:16 pm

I too have gained weight. I gained 10lbs. I eat the same and exercise the same as before. I thought it was only me. And yes I have had thyroid, blood work etc done. I thought I would have all kinds of energy and lose weight but no has not happened. I do sleep better.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 pm

u2dan wrote:There is such thing as starvation mode. Check out dietfreelife dot com

Not only is this an old post but your response is BS. Eating constantly makes you release insulin constantly and insulin is a fat storage hormone. The best way to "rev up your metabolism" is intermittent feasting which reduces the time you have high insulin levels. Start here: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ ... -new-hope/

Part 5 addresses so-called "starvation mode" in detail. My favorite quote: "Fat is stored energy and muscle is functional tissue. Fat is burned first. This is akin to storing a huge amount of firewood but deciding to burn your sofa instead. It’s stupid. Why would we assume the human body is so stupid? The body preserves muscle mass until the body fat becomes so low that it has no choice."
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 am

Not sure if this will help, but I noticed just after starting therapy, that I was EXTREMELY hungry for like 2 months and ate like a pig, and this is on Buproprion/wellbutrin which reduces appetite. I believe this was because my body was trying to repair itself from the oxygen deprevation, and brain damage, though that's just a guess as to why. On the brightside it seems like my appetite has gone back to normal now.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:40 am

Remember metabolic syndrome, a common result/comorbidity of apnea?
With diabetes and "pre" diabetes, carbohydrates trigger CRAVING for more of the same.
Replacing simple carb foods with low/complex carbs, or non carb foods can satiate
without triggering a feeding frenzy.
My favorite snacks are nuts, or pork rinds. A little will hold me for a long while.
(((Yeah, the cats get all the crickets here. )))

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:37 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Remember metabolic syndrome, a common result/comorbidity of apnea?
With diabetes and "pre" diabetes, carbohydrates trigger CRAVING for more of the same.
Replacing simple carb foods with low/complex carbs, or non carb foods can satiate
without triggering a feeding frenzy.
My favorite snacks are nuts, or pork rinds. A little will hold me for a long while.
(((Yeah, the cats get all the crickets here. )))
Or you can tough it out for 2 to 4 days fasting until glucagon is triggered to catabolize excess body fat for very long periods of time. World record fasting is 382 days!
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.