WEIGHT GAIN! In TEARS!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: WEIGHT GAIN! In TEARS!!!

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:40 am

Morbius wrote:"Starvation mode" is an excuse to keep eating.

Unless one is on the Dachau Diet, there is no such thing as starvation mode.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
I didn't say I believed it.
According to the parents nobody got fatter during the "hunger Winter" in '45 in the Netherlands (though more kids later diagnosed with Celiacs did better during that time then they did before due to the lack of wheat available - I guess tulip bulbs don't have gluten in them)

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:43 am

I, too, gained weight at first when I started CPAP, but in my case (I am NOT saying this is happening to you) my GERD was much better on CPAP so I could eat more.

However, also on CPAP I managed to lose 75 lbs I've now kept off for almost 4 years. Not by eating less or exercising more. As a matter of fact, I exercised very little and still don't exercise vigorously or for hours every day. Nor do I restrict calories, I eat to satisfaction (which is sometimes less and sometimes more). I recognized a metabolic issue and eat the right diet to correct it.

So I call bunk on the "eat less, exercise more" camp. That treadmill isn't necessary if you support healthy metabolic function with a dietary approach. Sounds like something is probably occurring with you metabolically. Some foods profoundly affect your metabolism when they can be used by your body more regularly now that stress hormones are under control from apnea treatment.

Fortunately you can test this out for yourself. Go to Walmart and buy yourself a Relion blood glucose meter and 50 test strips. (Walmart's Relion strips are the least expensive). Test your blood sugar one hour after the first bite of a meal, and then one hour later (1 hour and two hours post prandial). Get several days worth of data. If your blood sugar exceeds 140 at one hour or 120 at two hous (or comes close to those numbers) then what (rather than how much) you eat is a contributing factor that can be changed to help you control the weight.

Finally, not treating apnea is not an option. Note the study cited by Morbius was a study of neuro cognitive function, they just happened to notice the weight issue. IMho, I'd much rather be overweight with my brain function intact than thin and demented (if, it turns out you have to trade one for the other). If you were managing to stay thin by virtue of apnea, that's going to have serious unintended consequences for certain.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

webbie73

Post by webbie73 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Morbius wrote:
webbie73 wrote:It does not take a lot for your system to enter starvation mode.
Could you show some documentation to support this claim?

Thanks.
Oh holy one of all knowing, do your own Google search. My comment is just that a comment. My knowledge comes from a weight loss program run by our local hospital.

Last comment from me on the topic I will not lower myself any lower to argue the point with you.

OP I apologize to you for this thread getting off topic and getting sidelined trying to prove the old "I know more than you do" mentality. You asked a legitimate question about weight gain. I gave you information that I had learned from a weight loss program. Sorry others got us off subject. I suppose I am just as bad since I could not let it go....

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:01 pm

Morbius wrote: I try to be polite to point out your error, and you get all pissy.

Fuck off, asshole.
hey, ems... since morbius is your favorite poster, is THIS how you'd like me to respond to people???

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:17 pm

See?
Last edited by Morbius on Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Morbius wrote:But I never said that...
funny, it shows up in the topic review, when posting/quoting/replying.

maybe your number one fan deleted it to preserve your honor. I'm sure that carolyn can recover it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:44 pm

palerider wrote: I'm sure that carolyn can recover it.
Oh no!

Please don't tell Mommy!

I'll be good!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:47 pm

Morbius wrote:I'll be good!
what is good? according to whose standards?

I'm pretty sure you are good, according to your standards, which have certainly resulted in a loyal following.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:52 pm

palerider wrote:what is good?
Well for one, stop whining!!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:03 pm

Morbius wrote:
yes daddy! I'll be good.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:23 pm

I like it when you guys are like this. Makes me fuzzy all over! Ah….feathers and all!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Pesser wrote:I like it when you guys are like this. Makes me fuzzy all over! Ah….feathers and all!
*lol*

I suppose the proper response to his last would have been, and I quote, "Fuck off, asshole." but that would be tacky, not to mention, repetitive

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:39 pm

palerider wrote:
Morbius wrote:
yes daddy! I'll be good.
A) I want the popcorn concession on this thread
B) I think we need to serve beer and bourbon too!

Where did I take off my boots?
Morbius, are you bored?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:50 pm

postitnote wrote:
palerider wrote:
Morbius wrote:
yes daddy! I'll be good.
A) I want the popcorn concession on this thread
B) I think we need to serve beer and bourbon too!

Where did I take off my boots?
not sure, you were looking for 'em over on that other thread recently... of course, I suggested waders...

OSAHell

Post by OSAHell » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi jacque,

I'll go with Janknitz on the "not treating apnea is not an option" comment here. Keep looking for things that might explained your weight gain in your life BUT Keep using your Bipap. And if your weight continu to raise at that rate in the next few weeks talk to your Dr.

Wish you well and don't give up!