chin strap increase vibratory snore index?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hegel

chin strap increase vibratory snore index?

Post by hegel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:04 pm

I started using a chin strap (just tried the Ruby last night.) Looking for the first time in a while at my cpap card, there's been a big increase in my vibratory snore index starting about the time that I began using the chin strap. My AHI is fine however. Last night using the Ruby strap, my snore index was fine.

And so my question. Thoughts?

p.s. what's the relation between the snore index and ahi, that the one can go up without effecting the other?

SewTired

Re: chin strap increase vibratory snore index?

Post by SewTired » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:34 am

I'm a newbie, but as with all things, one thing works better than another. I've noticed elsewhere that some folks had better luck with some chin straps than others. I'd stick with the one that works for you.

I noticed the vibratory snore on my brother's readout. It is not part of AH I because it is not an apnea. If he gets a lot of them, they do wake him up, because right afterwards, he's removed his mask. I've finally convinced him to throw that old mask away because it's worthless even as a backup (he was using it for 3 years).

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:04 am

It is possible that the chin strap is the cause of the snore index increase.
Chin straps have a tendency to move the jaw slightly backward and therefore slightly increase the occurrence of obstructive events. In your case, this may be the vibratory snore index increasing while it is not enough to actually cause either an hypopnea or an obstructive event. You might try increasing your pressure just a little bit to compensate and see if that helps. Just a thought.

On my mask, the Oracle 452 oral mask, the manufacturer strongly recommends against any chin strap for just this reason. Before I read that, I did try a chinstrap to help with leaks at night. The result was a dramatic increase in OSA events.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

hegel

Post by hegel » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:35 pm

So last night I forgo my Ruby chin strap. Vibratory snore index: 0. Ahi: 1.5.
With a chin strap my vs is usually between 4 and 8.
Before using a chin strap I never noticed my vs--I'm assuming it was low--my graph suggests this.

Still, even with a larger vs index my ahi is usually pretty good--under 3.

I understand that one night does not establish causality/correlation. But since I started using a chin strap my VS has gone up.

I'm just bumping this thread to see if others have any experience with this.

I wonder if the design of the Ruby is pulling my jaw back a bit--as opposed to the less comfortable Deluxe style chin strap, which has a more vertical pull from the top of the head to the chin. Still, my vs index went way up with this model too.

did you know that Snorri Sturlson once won the Pulitzer Prize in literature? I wonder if his wife ever threw it at him in the middle of the night...

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:01 am

lately I have not been wearing my chinstrap for sleep but just for half- napping without the CPAP. For sleep I don't mind the mouth leaks b/c my S9 Autoset is robust enough to diagnose and treat events regardless of the leaks. For half- napping I wear the chinstrap to prevent my tongue from falling into my throat and choking me, i.e. waking me up.

I use this chinstrap:

See here that while I did not use a chinstrap the S9 Autoset was not affected much by the leaks. The unknown events ( yellow ) are only a few:

Usually, with or without wearing a chinstrap, I have no VBs:

Last edited by avi123 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:10 am

avi123 wrote:lately I have not been wearing my chinstrap for sleep but just for half- napping without the CPAP.
I NEVER sleep without my CPAP, even for a small nap. Not a good practice to start. If you have medium to severe OSA sleeping at all without your CPAP makes no sense.

I don't use a chin strap.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:01 am

Krelvin wrote:
avi123 wrote:lately I have not been wearing my chinstrap for sleep but just for half- napping without the CPAP.
I NEVER sleep without my CPAP, even for a small nap. Not a good practice to start. If you have medium to severe OSA sleeping at all without your CPAP makes no sense..
maybe this explains some of avi's posts?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:06 am

Actually, I never nap on purpose. But while watching TV I often wear the chinstrap for just in case. Over the years since I started CPAP in 2010 a chinstrap served me well. Using it during sleep with the CPAP prevented my mouth leaks. See my past annual stats:

Krelvin, I prefer to discuss this subject with those who show their own treatment. Not just words, words,words.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:15 am

avi123 wrote:Krelvin, I prefer to discuss this subject with those who show their own treatment. Not just words, words,words.
your picture has nothing whatsoever to do with napping without your cpap.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:44 am

avi123 wrote:Actually, I never nap on purpose. But while watching TV I often wear the chinstrap for just in case.
My comment was 100% related to your comment you take naps without your machine.
If you fall asleep while watching TV you should put your mask on as well or better yet, go to bed. No machine = NO TREATMENT with or without a chin strap.
Krelvin, I prefer to discuss this subject with those who show their own treatment. Not just words, words,words.
Whatever are you talking about? Show my treatment when there is a point to show it. I don't post graphs endlessly with every single post as there is no need or point to unless I need to show something.

Today being a holiday, you should take advantage of it and take a nap with your CPAP. It might do you good.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
Kevin... alias Krelvin

hegel

Post by hegel » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Thanks Avi for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to show your read outs.

I also moved to the Ruby chin strap because it's so comfortable!

--Jeff

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Krelvin wrote:
avi123 wrote:Whatever are you talking about? Show my treatment when there is a point to show it. I don't post graphs endlessly with every single post as there is no need or point to unless I need to show something.

Today being a holiday, you should take advantage of it and take a nap with your CPAP. It might do you good.
Krelvin, there is a point for you to show your own treatment stats, such as leaks, b/c you don't use a chinstrap.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:41 pm

avi123 wrote:
Krelvin wrote:
avi123 wrote:Whatever are you talking about? Show my treatment when there is a point to show it. I don't post graphs endlessly with every single post as there is no need or point to unless I need to show something.

Krelvin, there is a point for you to show your own treatment stats, such as leaks, b/c you don't use a chinstrap.
and what point is that? so you can 'help' him, when he's not having any problems?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 pm

I found the Ruby an excellent instrument of torture.
I sold it at a huge discount to another forum member, whose threshold of pain is much higher than mine.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:59 pm

avi123 wrote:Krelvin, there is a point for you to show your own treatment stats, such as leaks, b/c you don't use a chinstrap.
I don't have problems sleeping dispite having to deal with CHF contantly.

Last night:

Click for larger view

Oh split sleep because I worked yesterday after 5pm to around 2:30am writing new DB interface scripts for my software. No one around, quiet, no interruptions and I have the 3 days off from real work.
Kevin... alias Krelvin