New Philips Respironics' Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BleepingBeauty

Re: New Philips Respironics' Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask

Post by BleepingBeauty » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:55 pm

I got the Amara today! I spoke with the manager at my local branch of the DME yesterday, and he said he'd gotten a sample of the mask from a Sales Rep and would UPS it to me.

My preliminary observations:

The cushion is very soft (not as rigid as the Hybrid's cushion) and inflates easily. The exhaust is similar to the Hybrid's, but it's vented upwards, which is nice. I like the headgear (it's a bit smaller than the Hybrid's, and the back doesn't sit right on my neck at the base of my skull, as the Hybrid's does; I've been dealing with a bit of a stiff neck this week, so that change is welcome. I like the quick-release on the short hose (where it attaches to the elbow); it's easy to release it, but then I had a difficult time affixing it again because there's a groove in the hard plastic of both the elbow and the short hose that has to match up. Mind you, I was trying to reattach it with pressure blowing, and I wasn't aware of the groove at the time; it's easy enough to reattach the short hose when the machine is not running and, now that I know about the groove, I imagine it would be easy with the machine being on, too.

I went by the online sizing guide, and my nose was right on the line between Small and Medium; the guide advised me to get the Small, and it seems the Small is the right size for me (I wear a Small in the Hybrid, too). I put it on, adjusted the straps, and laid down. Then I turned on the machine and made a few more adjustments to the headgear while I was supine. It sounds leak-free to me, and I couldn't feel any air escaping, either. It was very comfortable. Tonight will be the acid test, and I'll check the data in the morning to see what the leak rate reveals. I usually sleep on my back, and the mask seems to be adjusted well for that. I did roll onto my side, and it did leak around the mouth a bit; if I were a regular side-sleeper, I'd have to make more adjustments to the headgear. I'll find out if that's an issue tonight. Of course, if leaks wake me tonight (while I'm supine or on my side) and drive me nuts, I'll probably go back to the Hybrid for the rest of the night and make more adjustments to the Amara tomorrow. (I don't want to be fiddling with the headgear in the middle of the night.) I'm really happy to be experimenting with it, though.

While I had it on, I put my hand in front of my face at mask-level and could not feel the exhaust at all; holding my hand just a bit higher (eye-level) is where I felt the exhaust. I think that's an improvement over the Hybrid. The fitting instructions do say that you're supposed to keep your lips parted slightly, but I have no intention of doing that. I don't mouth-breathe with the Hybrid, but even parting my lips will dry out my mouth. So I plan to sleep with my lips closed.

We'll see how it all goes, but I'm excited. I'll report back when I have more pertinent info.

In the meantime, if anyone has specific questions that I can answer about the Amara, fire away!
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

charlesrshell

Post by charlesrshell » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:14 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:I got the Amara today! I spoke with the manager at my local branch of the DME yesterday, and he said he'd gotten a sample of the mask from a Sales Rep and would UPS it to me.

My preliminary observations:

The cushion is very soft (not as rigid as the Hybrid's cushion) and inflates easily. The exhaust is similar to the Hybrid's, but it's vented upwards, which is nice. I like the headgear (it's a bit smaller than the Hybrid's, and the back doesn't sit right on my neck at the base of my skull, as the Hybrid's does; I've been dealing with a bit of a stiff neck this week, so that change is welcome. I like the quick-release on the short hose (where it attaches to the elbow); it's easy to release it, but then I had a difficult time affixing it again because there's a groove in the hard plastic of both the elbow and the short hose that has to match up. Mind you, I was trying to reattach it with pressure blowing, and I wasn't aware of the groove at the time; it's easy enough to reattach the short hose when the machine is not running and, now that I know about the groove, I imagine it would be easy with the machine being on, too.

I went by the online sizing guide, and my nose was right on the line between Small and Medium; the guide advised me to get the Small, and it seems the Small is the right size for me (I wear a Small in the Hybrid, too). I put it on, adjusted the straps, and laid down. Then I turned on the machine and made a few more adjustments to the headgear while I was supine. It sounds leak-free to me, and I couldn't feel any air escaping, either. It was very comfortable. Tonight will be the acid test, and I'll check the data in the morning to see what the leak rate reveals. I usually sleep on my back, and the mask seems to be adjusted well for that. I did roll onto my side, and it did leak around the mouth a bit; if I were a regular side-sleeper, I'd have to make more adjustments to the headgear. I'll find out if that's an issue tonight. Of course, if leaks wake me tonight (while I'm supine or on my side) and drive me nuts, I'll probably go back to the Hybrid for the rest of the night and make more adjustments to the Amara tomorrow. (I don't want to be fiddling with the headgear in the middle of the night.) I'm really happy to be experimenting with it, though.

While I had it on, I put my hand in front of my face at mask-level and could not feel the exhaust at all; holding my hand just a bit higher (eye-level) is where I felt the exhaust. I think that's an improvement over the Hybrid. The fitting instructions do say that you're supposed to keep your lips parted slightly, but I have no intention of doing that. I don't mouth-breathe with the Hybrid, but even parting my lips will dry out my mouth. So I plan to sleep with my lips closed.

We'll see how it all goes, but I'm excited. I'll report back when I have more pertinent info.

In the meantime, if anyone has specific questions that I can answer about the Amara, fire away!
Thanks for the feedback. Can't to hear from you tomorrow.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Nice to hear that this mask is getting the rundown early on. By all means, let us know how it goes tonight. When you first commented on the vent, I had visions that it may hit you in the eyes. I see you clarified it later in your post.

Sheriff

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:41 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:The fitting instructions do say that you're supposed to keep your lips parted slightly,
I can see where the fitting instructions would say to have your mouth open a bit, so if it opens during sleep, you're less likely to have a too small cushion selected, and end up with the bottom of your mask in your mouth.

do the *usage* instructions say to keep your mouth a bit, or just the fitting ones? (there's been some comments about the open mouth thing, which is why I'm curious)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:55 pm

palerider wrote:
BleepingBeauty wrote:The fitting instructions do say that you're supposed to keep your lips parted slightly,
I can see where the fitting instructions would say to have your mouth open a bit, so if it opens during sleep, you're less likely to have a too small cushion selected, and end up with the bottom of your mask in your mouth.

do the *usage* instructions say to keep your mouth a bit, or just the fitting ones? (there's been some comments about the open mouth thing, which is why I'm curious)
Here's what the mask booklet advises:

"Achieving the Right Fit
The mask should rest comfortably against your face. The cushion nostril opening goes under your nostrils. The headgear should be away from your eyes. The bottom of the mask cushion should rest just above your chin with your mouth slightly open.

Using the mask
Connect the flexible tubing to the quick release tube. Lie down. Turn the therapy device on. Breathe normally. Keep your mouth slightly open. Assume different sleeping positions. Move around until comfortable. If there are any excessive air leaks, make final adjustments. Some air leaking is normal."

Not sure what that last sentence is supposed to indicate; does it reference the intended vent? I don't know. The Pressure Flow Curve chart (intended leak rate) would indicate a leak rate of about 37 lpm at my usual average pressure of 15 or so. We'll see how that goes.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:30 am

wrote:Using the mask
Connect the flexible tubing to the quick release tube. Lie down. Turn the therapy device on. Breathe normally. Keep your mouth slightly open. Assume different sleeping positions. Move around until comfortable. If there are any excessive air leaks, make final adjustments. Some air leaking is normal."
If one thinks they mean you should "keep your mouth slightly open" while sleeping, then it would logically follow that they mean while sleeping you should "assume different positions", "move around until comfortable" and "make final adjustments". That's a lot to do while you are sleeping.

It should be obvious that "keep your mouth slightly open" is part of the final adjustment and testing procedure and not instructions requiring you to sleep like that. They want you to test and adjust the mask with your mouth slightly open so that the mask is adjusted properly if you happen to mouth breathe while asleep.

Their paragraph, "Using the mask", might better had been titled "Final Mask Adjustments and Testing".

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:03 am

Ok, first night's review:

As with any new mask, it wasn't a "great" night for me, but it wasn't terrible, either. I did wake more often than usual to fiddle here or there, but the new mask wasn't so bothersome that I abandoned it midway in favor of my old trusty Hybrid. I wore it successfully all night. A shorter-than-usual night for me (just about 7 hours), but the whole night.

I didn't experience any leaking around my nose, but there were a few times that it leaked around the mouth (farting on my lower cheek) and woke me. Instinct would have us tighten the headgear, but I loosened the lower straps a little, instead, and the mask then inflated more against my cheeks, stopping the leak, and I was able to go right back to sleep. Nobody likes being woken by anything during sleep but, all things considered, my awakenings were minor (with one exception; more on that below).

When I woke this morning, the first thing I did was look at my face. There was a little redness where the cushion sits, but virtually no strap marks. My columella (the separation between the nostrils) was a little red on the left side (and a little sore), but that dissipated quickly (along with the redness around my mouth and cheeks). The Hybrid's resulting facial marks are more noticeable on me.

Two things I find interesting: 1, I spot-checked the leak rate with the Amara (on the lcd display on the machine) when I first turned the machine on last night, and it was 50 lpm. There was no leaking from the mask at the time. The Amara's leak chart would have me believe that my intended leak rate at my usual pressures should be about 37 lpm. (My Hybrid leak rate is also a little higher than the Intended Leak, and it's always been thus. I get great therapy with the Hybrid, so I don't worry about the leak rate. I'm rarely in LL territory.) And 2, my 90% EPAP pressure with the Hybrid is always in the 14-15 range; the 90% EPAP with the Amara View was 12.9 last night. Not that much of a difference, granted, but a difference. My IPAP was also lower with the Amara. And less snoring (which has always been flagged a lot with the Hybrid); not something I'm concerned with, just interesting.

I'll definitely try the Amara again tonight (maybe even for a nap today if I feel the need for one later on). I like what I'm experiencing so far (minus the few leaks that woke me) and am motivated to make this mask work for me.

Note on the following data that I've had trouble with my neck this week, and that accounts for the gaps in the data (I had to get up to take pain reliever and wait for it to kick in before I could sleep again). Here's a recent typical night for me with the Hybrid:

And here's last night with the Amara View:

I'll post more on this mask as I go along and get it fitted better. It's premature for me to say "yay" or "nay" on the Amara View, but if pushed, I'd lean toward the "yay" after the first night.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:24 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
wrote:Using the mask
If one thinks they mean you should "keep your mouth slightly open" while sleeping, then it would logically follow that they mean while sleeping you should "assume different positions", "move around until comfortable" and "make final adjustments". That's a lot to do while you are sleeping.

It should be obvious that "keep your mouth slightly open" is part of the final adjustment and testing procedure and not instructions requiring you to sleep like that. They want you to test and adjust the mask with your mouth slightly open so that the mask is adjusted properly if you happen to mouth breathe while asleep.

Their paragraph, "Using the mask", might better had been titled "Final Mask Adjustments and Testing".
Hi, CG. I didn't see your post until after I posted my review of last night.

I can understand the confusion generated by the mask booket's advice, but I took it to mean that you ARE supposed to keep your lips parted while sleeping. As I said, I would prefer *not* to do that and kept my lips closed for most of the night.

That issue is the one thing I neglected to note in my review of last night. I found that, when I *did* part my lips slightly (in the middle of the night, after one of the cheek leaks), the mask seemed to seal better. It did dry my mouth out, though. I may look into using a standard (sports-type) mouthguard with it, since just keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth and not actually mouth-breathing didn't prevent that dryness problem for me. Or I suppose I could tape my mouth to keep the air at bay (also not my preference, although taping for this purpose wouldn't require the level needed to actually stop mouth-breathing; IOW, just a cover for the mouth and not a lip-sealer.) I think I'll try taping tonight.

My mouth didn't exactly feel like the Sahara this morning, but any mouth dryness is unpleasant in my book.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:22 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:I may look into using a standard (sports-type) mouthguard with it, since just keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth and not actually mouth-breathing didn't prevent that dryness problem for me. Or I suppose I could tape my mouth to keep the air at bay
A few years ago a seller on Ebay or Amazon was offering an inexpensive, simple mouth dam to prevent dry mouth when sleeping. (Not dental dam, you dirty little boys!)

I wish I had bought several for the purpose you indicate. They are no longer to be found.
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlesrshell

Post by charlesrshell » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:35 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
BleepingBeauty wrote:I may look into using a standard (sports-type) mouthguard with it, since just keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth and not actually mouth-breathing didn't prevent that dryness problem for me. Or I suppose I could tape my mouth to keep the air at bay
A few years ago a seller on Ebay or Amazon was offering an inexpensive, simple mouth dam to prevent dry mouth when sleeping. (Not dental dam, you dirty little boys!)

I wish I had bought several for the purpose you indicate. They are not longer to be found.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:33 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:A few years ago a seller on Ebay or Amazon was offering an inexpensive, simple mouth dam to prevent dry mouth when sleeping. (Not dental dam, you dirty little boys!)

I wish I had bought several for the purpose you indicate. They are not longer to be found.
That's too bad, as something like that would be useful with this mask.

I found both my gentle-release painter's tape and the mouthguard that I used awhile back. I think I'll try the mouthguard first, as the tape I have is 2" wide (I used it when I was using a nasal pillows mask) and will require some trimming so as not to interfere with the Amara's cushion. If the mouthguard doesn't do the trick, then onto the trimmed tape.

We do what we gotta do to make it work, right? (Well, I do. )

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Keep in mind that anytime you get a new mask/headgear, the headgear will stretch at night. It may take a couple of days to get it to a spot when it stops stretchin'.

Sheriff

hegel

Post by hegel » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:57 pm

I agree with Chicago Granny that the 'with your mouth slightly open' phrase is meant to be a fitting instruction, not a use instruction. As in: "with your mouth slightly open, the mask cushion should rest just above your chin". I think that this is an Eats shoots and leaves sort of deal.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:34 pm

hegel wrote:I agree with Chicago Granny that the 'with your mouth slightly open' phrase is meant to be a fitting instruction, not a use instruction. As in: "with your mouth slightly open, the mask cushion should rest just above your chin". I think that this is an Eats shoots and leaves sort of deal.
Obviously, everybody is free to interpret the booklet's instructions any way they want. But since that direction is under both "Fitting the Mask" and "Using the Mask," I take it to mean that you're supposed to keep your lips parted all the time.

Aren't we all supposed to fit a mask so that it does the job while we're asleep? IMO, if the mouth should be slightly open when fitting, it stands to reason that it should also be slightly open while sleeping. *shrug*

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:08 am

BleepingBeauty wrote:Aren't we all supposed to fit a mask so that it does the job while we're asleep?
Of course.
BleepingBeauty wrote:IMO, if the mouth should be slightly open when fitting, it stands to reason that it should also be slightly open while sleeping.
No it does not stand to reason. Many of us fall asleep with our mouths closed. Sometime after falling asleep our mouths may open. (With me, it seems to be when I hit REM but there is no conclusive evidence of that.)

So the manufacturers of the mask, knowing that it was designed for people who open their mouth while sleeping, want people to open their mouth while fitting. This of course means the mask will be fitted and adjusted properly when the patient's mouth opens during sleep.

Why do you think the manufacturer would advise the patient to mouth breathe while using this mask?