New Philips Respironics' Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
squid13

New Philips Respironics' Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask

Post by squid13 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:20 pm

CPAP.com is taking pre-orders for the new Philips Respironics' Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask. Looks like it is a new type Hybrid mask. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -mask.html It also has Free Return Insurance. Estimated shipping is on or before July 16th.

Last edited by squid13 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Sir NoddinOff

Re: New Philips Respironics' Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:24 pm

squid13 wrote:CPAP.com is taking pre-orders for the new Philips Respironics' Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask. Looks like it is a new type Hybrid mask. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -mask.html
I checked it out online and it sure is a strange new beast. For people who like Hybrid CPAP mask innovations it might be a blessing but I'll hold my opinions till more people report in.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

hegel

Post by hegel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:50 pm

I have to admit that I'm intrigued by this. And I'm a happy Swift nasal pillow guy...but given that I'm now using a chin strap, a smallish but full mask like this that would eliminate any mouth breathing issues (true?) seems interesting.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:42 pm

This looks like a GREAT new mask -- innovative design and unobtrusive. My only concern is pressure on the bottom of my nose (which sometime hurts me with nasal masks or nasal pillows pushing up on the underside of my nose).

Video of it looks very interesting>>>>>>>>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNfnPw8miL0

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 pm

To figure out size, you need a gauge:

http://incenter.medical.philips.com/doc ... vernum%3d1

That gauge measures 85mm square, if that helps (blow it up then print it).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Part of me wants to try it just for grins but the tight wad in me says I shouldn't spend that much money on a mask that I probably will never use. In over 6 years I have yet had a situation where I couldn't use my nasal pillows.
I know I could do the return insurance thing but I don't feel right about abusing the return policy just to experiment when I know that it is highly unlikely that I would want to keep it.

Interesting that all sizes of cushions will fit on the universal frame...so that's a plus.
The nose part appears to be like the old cradle cushions we used to have in a couple of nasal masks.
I never did try one of those cradle cushion masks but I did think about it way back when I was first starting therapy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jannicatt

Post by jannicatt » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:12 pm

We picked ours up yesterday and hubby likes it as he is a mouth breather. It is light and has no forehead attachment and does fit easily for him. But I don't like mine as the directions say to open your mouth slightly. I am a nasal breather and apparently you need the open mouth as I would wake up with the mask leaking until I opened my mouth again. Very frustrating night even if the mask fit nicely...back to the nasal mask tonight.

hegel

Post by hegel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:20 pm

I was going to ask Pugsy if she wears a chin strap for mouth breathing...and then I read the next post. I don't think that I'm much of a mouth breather, although I just started using a chin strap and I think it makes a difference, so maybe I am. The point is, this mask REQUIRES you to be a mouth breather? Or trains you to be one...I don't know. Like Pugsy, I'd really like to try it, precisely to see if it hits the sweet spot in my (perhaps) mild mouth breathing and frees me from a chin strap.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:37 pm

hegel wrote:I was going to ask Pugsy if she wears a chin strap for mouth breathing
No...I do not use a chin strap. I tried one early on in therapy but found it more annoying than helpful.
I don't do anything...no tape, no chin strap, no nothing now. I did try taping a long time ago but that lasted only about 8 weeks.

My mouth breathing isn't enough for me to want to worry about doing anything about it. It's rare, brief and when it happens I don't always even make it to large leak territory.
I just now looked back at my SleepyHead reports from March 28 until now..that's when I got my new machine...and I haven't had one night where I even hit large leak territory. Zero large leak flags.
My leak line isn't perfectly flat but I don't care. Yeah, I mouth breathe a little but it's not enough to earn a large leak flag and it's rare and it's brief and I sleep through the bulk of it when/if it happens.

This mask just looks different and interesting to me and that usually peaks my curiosity when something is different.
I don't need a full face mask...don't really want one but I just like to experiment sometimes and this mask makes me want to experiment a little. I just don't know if I want to experiment $169 worth.
And that's too pricey for me to buy and then give away like I do with some of my mask purchases.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:45 am

hegel wrote:The point is, this mask REQUIRES you to be a mouth breather?
No-- it's a hybrid. You can breathe either way.

I tried it for a little while. Seems to work as planned. I need to check the "wrong" sizes to see how forgiving that membrane is. And also what the effective lifespan is.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:38 am

I tried out this mask at the DME during my last mask replacement. While the design is nice, and I like the headgear much better than the quattro, it would not hold up to my pressure requirements.... Leaks galore. Wound up getting another quattro...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:34 am

I just realized that the $169 is the MSRP and what cpap.com is forced to advertise...the real price you have to call and/or get when you order.
It's $120...I think I can say that without getting cpap.com in trouble since it is me instead of them.
Unsure if that is something that is just for pre orders or it will be that price all the time.
I suspect it will be "all the time" price but I can't guarantee it.

jannicatt

Post by jannicatt » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:59 am

Instructions for use for the Amara: "Keep your mouth slightly open." It may be a hybrid or whatever but my experience is if the mouth is not slightly open, I had tremendous leaks but not if my mouth was shut. This is only my experience and I share it only if it will help someone else in making a decision. It is a great mask and easy to wear. I am disappointed it would not work for me.

Susie Kay

Post by Susie Kay » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:11 am

jannicatt wrote:Instructions for use for the Amara: "Keep your mouth slightly open.
That is disappointing. I need a full face mask because my mouth opens at times. But I would not want to breathe like that all night - mouth gets way too dry!

Otherwise, the mask is an interesting and promising concept.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:19 pm

When I put on my Quattro FX, I always open my mouth slightly to get the cushion positioned correctly. I close my mouth before I fasten the straps. I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does. This may be what the instructions are referring to. I can't imagine that a CPAP mask is to be used with your mouth open all night. If that were the case, why have the nasal cradle?