BEEP..BEEP Service Required on PR 550P

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tlavery

Re: BEEP..BEEP Service Required on PR 550P

Post by Tlavery » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Did adding the screw solve your problem? I just bought a used unit and darned if it doesn't have the same beep beep problem. Desperately need help to fix this! Going to Home Depot to get washer and screw and will put that in today.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:20 am

I didn't use a washer - it wasn't needed. Be careful you don't short out any of the connections if you use a washer. I think I remember I went so far as to put a piece of electrical tape over the hole and then used an xacto knife to cut a hole in the tape for the screw to go through. The self-tapping screw completely solved the problem for me and I hope it does for you too. You can see that the design has the hole, the post - everything except the damn screw!

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:30 am

the washer should be plastic or nylon
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Tg

Post by Tg » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:52 pm

I just fixed mine with a 1.25" drywall screw. Seems to fit fine and the tapered head eliminates the need for an insulating washer. Drywall screws are up there with ducttape and bailing wire in the pantheon of fixit!

Jangles

Post by Jangles » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:38 pm

I have a 550p that is working fine (970 hours on it). I own this machine, it's not from a DME.

Should I open it and put in this missing screw?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 pm

If it ain't broke...

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Julie wrote:If it ain't broke...
if it's a 50 series,... it will be

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 pm

It's up to you if you want to do it preventively. Many apparently never need it. The hardest part is having the correct bit on a long-handled tool to be able to reach the screws at the bottom of the deep holes. I forget if it's a torx or a hex head - I had a toolkit that had both.

I probably wouldn't bother unless/until I had a problem. The more the machine is bumped or jostled around, the more likely the problem will show up. So if it's your travel machine, I would say it's worth doing while you are at home with the right tools. On the other hand, if the machine sits on your nightstand and never moves, you could just wait and see if it ever has the problem..

Remember that this whole thread only applies to the Respironics model 550! The model 560 already has the screw anchoring the board.

Jangles

Post by Jangles » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:20 pm

yaconsult wrote:It's up to you if you want to do it preventively. Many apparently never need it. The hardest part is having the correct bit on a long-handled tool to be able to reach the screws at the bottom of the deep holes. I forget if it's a torx or a hex head - I had a toolkit that had both.

I probably wouldn't bother unless/until I had a problem. The more the machine is bumped or jostled around, the more likely the problem will show up. So if it's your travel machine, I would say it's worth doing while you are at home with the right tools. On the other hand, if the machine sits on your nightstand and never moves, you could just wait and see if it ever has the problem..

Remember that this whole thread only applies to the Respironics model 550! The model 560 already has the screw anchoring the board.
It is a 550p and my travel machine although that is once a year at most. I also have the tools and am comfy doing this type of thing. Hmm... I guess if it's very likely to have the issue I would do it. If not I prefer to leave well-enough alone...

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:48 pm

Jangles wrote:
yaconsult wrote:It's up to you if you want to do it preventively. Many apparently never need it. The hardest part is having the correct bit on a long-handled tool to be able to reach the screws at the bottom of the deep holes. I forget if it's a torx or a hex head - I had a toolkit that had both.

It is a 550p and my travel machine although that is once a year at most. I also have the tools and am comfy doing this type of thing. Hmm... I guess if it's very likely to have the issue I would do it. If not I prefer to leave well-enough alone...
it's a t-15

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MotorChris

Post by MotorChris » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:05 am

Well...

For about the last 3 months or more I have.been super tired and vaguely noticed that it seems as though the pressure on my 450p was rather low... so at 2:30.am I woke up and decided maybe my cpap was a problem..looked at my blower hours 3700 ... So I searched the forum... Haven't been on here in a long tine.. anyway ... Found this thread... And decided to open the case, telecom / computer electronics tech here ... Bingo .. you all hit the nail on the head.. the 450P is a series fifty also and shares the same defects... Thanks I am so looking forward to seeing the results.. you all helped me so much as I've started this journey several years ago ... my pulmonary dr had just started doing sleep stuff and just knew the bare minimum to get me going . I came here first, for research before asking to be tested... I took one of the newer portable diagnostic monitors home .. My AHI was 62 ... With my O2 stats bottoming out at 79℅. That had been going on since I was in my early 20's what a difference! .. So give yourselves a pat on the back.. That's twice you all saved my life

Best Regards

Motor Chris

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:07 am

My theory: Respironics left the screw out intentionally, so dealers could upsell their victims
on a trade in, fix the machine, and resell/rent it (possibly as new) to someone else.
We all know who their REAL customers are. And people think Resmed is evil!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:14 am

chunkyfrog wrote:My theory: Respironics left the screw out intentionally, so dealers could upsell their victims
on a trade in, fix the machine, and resell/rent it (possibly as new) to someone else.
I think it's just that they have lower engineering standards.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:16 pm

The fact that the hole and the post are already there is most disturbing to me. Some idiot decided to save a penny or so and leave out the screw. The guys who designed the case and the board did the right thing and expected for the screw to be added at assembly. But it's nice that people with the problem are still finding their solution here.

brucem67

Post by brucem67 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:55 am

I had the same problem and followed these instructions. The device had failed periodically after a long trip; when I opened the case, the motherboard was floating inside the box without being affixed. So presumably the sensors were being blown out of their seals periodically, perhaps by my breathing. I inserted a #8 1/2" screw and rubber washer and tested it multiple times... working great. Thanks to this forum for the great data! Easy fix.