Beard and AirFit F10

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mathew

Beard and AirFit F10

Post by Mathew » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:26 am

Hello fellow users - I recently acquired my Resmed, and started therapy. In my fitting meeting, I didn't think any other option besides a full face mask would work as I didn't want to use a chin strap. She indicated that I would have some issues with sealing, but I should be fine.

My first couple of days, got a unhappy face from my device (telling me I had sealing issues), but the next two nights I was good (using my online reports, it looks like a leak of 12 L/min, and 20 L/min), but last night I had another bad night at 34 L/min leaking. I just learned from reading here that I shouldn't be re-adjusting my straps every night, which I'll stop fiddling with tonight.

My question is how do people adjust whilst laying down (without seeing my machine). I thought I had a handle on it last night, but apparently I don't.

I have a full beard, and since I can achieve a decentish seal, shaving it off is not an option , but if any bearded brethren could offer some advice, I would much appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Mathew

islandboy5150

Re: Beard and AirFit F10

Post by islandboy5150 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:12 pm

I use a Total Face mask, and a Q Full face mask, depending on how the bridge of my nose feels. I also use a cap that my Q mask is velcro'd to at the top of the mask. I always have to re-adjust the straps every night either way. I have a full beard too, and I find if use tee shirt material to make a liner out of it seems to help making a good seal, but I have to strap up pretty tight. Between the tee shirt material and cranking down on the straps I almost always get a good seal. I will get a frowny face maybe once every couple of weeks or so, and its always when I decide to loosen the bottom straps in the middle of the night becasue they start to hurt.

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:42 pm

What some people have done is put the machine in front of a mirror to do the adjustments and make them at the prescribed pressure. When the adjustments are good, generally they are not changed from night to night.

Another consideration involves hose pull. The weight of the hose is often the cause of leaks in a well fitted/adjusted mask. Manage the hose in bed so that it is not pulling on the mask.

A lot of this is trial and error in adjustments to see what works for you.
Sheffey

ZZzseekerREM

Post by ZZzseekerREM » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:43 pm

I didn't think any other option besides a full face mask would work as I didn't want to use a chin strap.
Now is this what the doctor or DME said (that you needed A FFM)? Are you a mouth breather?

The reason I ask is that I use an AirFit P-10 (nasal pillow) and that mask avoids my beard altogether.