Obesity, Colon Bacteria, Inflammation, Granny Smith Apples

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Obesity, Colon Bacteria, Inflammation, Granny Smith Apples

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri May 29, 2015 12:06 pm

The non-digestible compounds in the Granny Smith apples actually changed the proportions of fecal bacteria from obese mice to be similar to that of lean mice.

The discovery could help prevent some of the disorders associated with obesity such as low-grade, chronic inflammation, which can lead to diabetes. The balance of bacterial communities in the colon of obese people is disturbed. This results in microbial byproducts that lead to inflammation and influence metabolic disorders associated with obesity

What determines the balance of bacteria in our colon is the food we consume

http://cahnrs.wsu.edu/news-release/2014 ... sity-away/

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Obesity, Colon Bacteria, Inflammation, Granny Smith Apples

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Which indigestible portions?
No way am I chowing down on the stem and core!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri May 29, 2015 12:23 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:No way am I chowing down on the stem and core!
Science says flies will keep your innards perfectly healthy.

Not Fade

Post by Not Fade » Fri May 29, 2015 12:27 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Which indigestible portions?
The ones you deposit in your vitreous china throne.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Fri May 29, 2015 1:21 pm

Nevermind
Last edited by postitnote on Fri May 29, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morbius, are you bored?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri May 29, 2015 1:24 pm

PULLMAN, Wash... hummmm. That's where most of the Granny Smiths come from, as I recall. Giuliana Noratto, Washington State University food scientist: your check is in the mail.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ems

Post by ems » Fri May 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:PULLMAN, Wash... hummmm. That's where most of the Granny Smiths come from, as I recall. Giuliana Noratto, Washington State University food scientist: your check is in the mail.

Took the words right out of my mouth.. along with the GS apples.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Not Fade

Post by Not Fade » Fri May 29, 2015 2:32 pm

To others reading this, don't let a couple of member's cynicism get in the way of doing good things for your health.

Some of the health advantages of Grannies have been known for years. Wikipedia has references to several studies that confirm this and says,
Granny Smith is one of the several apple cultivars that are high in antioxidant activity, and they boast the highest concentration of phenols amongst the apple breeds. Some sources recommend Granny Smiths (among other apples) as a particularly efficient source of antioxidants, particularly the flavonoids cyanidin and epicatechin, especially if eaten with the skin intact. Granny Smiths are also naturally low in calories and high in dietary fiber and potassium, making them commonly recommended as a component of healthy and weight-loss diets.
To Chunkyfrog, in case you were not joking, the article was not referring to anything in the core or stem.

My wife and I have made Granny Smiths a regular part of our diet for many years. We alternate buying a bag of them with a bag of whatever other apple looks good at our favorite grocery store.

On the East Coast, Granny Smiths mostly come from orchards in NY State.

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Fri May 29, 2015 2:52 pm

I thought the title was the start of a joke. . . I guess it is.

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Fri May 29, 2015 5:40 pm

SGearhart wrote:I thought the title was the start of a joke. . . I guess it is.
I thought it was a Jeopardy question at first
Morbius, are you bored?

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Fri May 29, 2015 6:39 pm

Careful about this information. Next thing you know we'll have the Dr. Oz Granny Smith apple diet. The price of apples will go through the roof, and we will all get spammed.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Fri May 29, 2015 6:46 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
The non-digestible compounds in the Granny Smith apples actually changed the proportions of fecal bacteria from obese mice to be similar to that of lean mice.
http://cahnrs.wsu.edu/news-release/2014 ... sity-away/
A good buddy of mine, who is a MD, told me 30 years ago that a lot of health problems could be diagnosed and treated through poop. But he said the problem was that no medical researchers wanted to go into that field.

But I think more research is starting to be done, much of it by the big pharma companies who are afraid of what their competition might develop to get ahead.

Here is an interesting and important case of fecal transplantation - http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-profe ... -cure-rate

Laugh if you want, but it might save your life some day.

Here are some areas of research according to citations found in Wikipedia:
Ulcerative colitis and other gastrointestinal conditions

While C. difficile is easily eradicated with a single FMT infusion, this generally appears to not be the case with ulcerative colitis. Published experience of ulcerative colitis treatment with FMT largely shows that multiple and recurrent infusions are required to achieve prolonged remission or 'cure'.[9]

FMT has been used to treat other conditions, including colitis,[10] constipation,[10] and irritable bowel syndrome.[10]
Autoimmune and neurologic conditions

The therapeutic potential of FMT in non-gastroenterologic conditions, including autoimmune disorders,[11] neurological conditions,[12] obesity, metabolic syndrome and diabetes,[13] multiple sclerosis,[12] and Parkinson's disease[14] are now being explored. As of May 2008, studies had shown that FMT can have a positive effect on devastating neurological diseases such as Parkinson's disease.[14] While Dr. Thomas Borody was experimenting with patients who were afflicted by both CDI and Parkinson's disease, he realized that after fecal therapy the symptoms of Parkinson's in his patients began to decrease; some to the point that the Parkinson's could not be detected by other neurologists. The hypothesis for future studies is that the fluctuation in the body's microbiome done by FMT can also be recreated by adding anti–Clostridium-difficile antibodies to the patient's body a technique intended to be used in Borody's future case studies involving Parkinson's disease.[13]
I am trying to find an article stating what percent of the body is made up of separate living organisms. It was quite shocking (I think maybe 40%, but don't quote me on that.).

Humans are fascinatingly complex and we have so much left to learn.

Eating Granny Smith apples may be at the top of the list, but plant material in general is supportive of the good bacteria in our system. That's the main reason that a diet high in vegetables and fruit is good for humans. Fermented products are also good. I am getting ready to uncork a bottle of wine.

Have a good weekend,

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Fri May 29, 2015 6:50 pm

DeadlySleep wrote:I am trying to find an article stating what percent of the body is made up of separate living organisms. It was quite shocking (I think maybe 40%, but don't quote me on that.).
Microbes - that's the word I was looking for. An amazing component of our body weight is microbes. Maybe someone has a link to that article.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Fri May 29, 2015 6:56 pm

DeadlySleep wrote: An amazing component of our body weight is microbes.
You are getting weight and cell count confused.
The human body contains trillions of microorganisms — outnumbering human cells by 10 to 1. Because of their small size, however, microorganisms make up only about 1 to 3 percent of the body's mass (in a 200-pound adult, that's 2 to 6 pounds of bacteria), but play a vital role in human health.Jun 13, 2012
NIH Human Microbiome Project defines normal bacterial ...
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/.../nhgri-13.htmNational Institutes of Health
You can find lots of articles under "microbiome". I don't think that word was known 30 years ago.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri May 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:PULLMAN, Wash... hummmm. That's where most of the Granny Smiths come from, as I recall. Giuliana Noratto, Washington State University food scientist: your check is in the mail.
Sir, this is for you :

and some additional varieties tested here:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-healthiest-apple/

p.s. -- "Any apple works" (from the radio interview of the Washington St Univ researcher) My favorite is Gala. The grannies are way too tart for me.