Unconventional cpap compliance problem

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tootiredtothink

Unconventional cpap compliance problem

Post by tootiredtothink » Wed May 27, 2015 10:06 am

I have had OSA for years and years, been prescribed CPAP forever, but am unable to wear it. I even had UPPP surgery to try to avoid it, and my AHI is worse now then before surgery. My biggest reason for not being able to consistantly wear my cpap is I mouth breathe and have to wear a full face mask. My nasal passages are too narrow for me to adequatly breathe through my nose, even during the day. Now, this sounds typical of many of our problems, but mine is complicated by the fact that even now in my 30s, I still suck my thumb. I have always done it, I cant stop doing it, I enjoy it and its part of my life. The issue is, I need to suck my thumb to sleep... you can see how the mask is an issue here. The rare times I am able to fall asleep with the mask on, I find myself having pulled it off after an hour or two in my sleep to get to my thumb. I would love to use a nasal mask, but opening my mouth for my thumb would leak all the air.

Any ideas? Im exhausted, need to use the CPAP, but am stuck against a rock and a hard place.

Julie

Re: Unconventional cpap compliance problem

Post by Julie » Wed May 27, 2015 10:38 am

Have you seen a therapist about the thumb sucking? I believe you could probably stop doing it fairly quickly with the right help and there are people who deal with that kind of behaviour, similar to people with phobias. You're trying to deal with life saving treatment but are letting yourself be stopped by a childhood habit. There are many ways you can go to sleep I believe, without it.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed May 27, 2015 10:42 am

If you can't change your "issue" you will continue to have a problem. Only you can solve that.
Last edited by Krelvin on Wed May 27, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 27, 2015 11:01 am

Julie wrote:Have you seen a therapist about the thumb sucking? I believe you could probably stop doing it fairly quickly with the right help and there are people who deal with that kind of behaviour, similar to people with phobias. You're trying to deal with life saving treatment but are letting yourself be stopped by a childhood habit. There are many ways you can go to sleep I believe, without it.
Excellent advice.

49er

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Wed May 27, 2015 11:03 am

When I was a kid my mother used some nasty tasting stuff (sold in a drug store) that was for making kids quit biting their nails! She should have put it on my brother for picking his nose!

http://www.drugstore.com/thum-thumb-suc ... blTabStrip
I'm sure there are similar products out there.
Morbius, are you bored?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 27, 2015 11:12 am

tootiredtothink wrote:The issue is, I need to suck my thumb to sleep... you can see how the mask is an issue here.
What about switching over to a pacifier? You could could the ring off so it would fit pretty much flush with your mouth and under the full face mask.

Now that I am thinking about it, I am wondering if a pacifier could be modified for use by ordinary CPAPers who have problems with mouthbreathing and dry mouth???

tootiredtothink

Post by tootiredtothink » Wed May 27, 2015 11:29 am

My therapist is actually supportive of my thumb sucking as it acts as a security blanket of sorts and helps curb my anxiety. We are both at a loss when it comes to the cpap though.

This is so frustrating. Its like having to trade between a good nights sleep, or your most prized posession/security device.

novatom

Post by novatom » Wed May 27, 2015 11:39 am

You're not alone. I sucked my thumb until I was 20. I remember the day I stopped- in March 1981 when Reagan was shot. Not that that had anything to do with it, mind you, I just decided then and there to stop it. I was surprised at how easy it was (plus I lived in a college dorm, which was an added incentive)

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed May 27, 2015 11:40 am

When you are sucking your thumb, how do you breathe? Would it require meds or surgery to open up your nose? Just wondering if the suction of your thumb sucking closes the airway more between your nose and throat even more. Habits - especially comfort habits - are hard to break. I don't envy you right now. If your search for a way to continue thumb sucking and use CPAP doesn't pan out, do some reading about the consequences of untreated sleep apnea. Your thumb may be your only comfort if your health fails. My daughter sucked her thumb while rubbing a piece of silky cloth. At some point in life she did give up the thumb, but can't guarantee you that there isn't still a slip up under her pillow. Good luck with figuring it all out. Just an FYI, some report the stress hormones related to sleep apnea along with the sleep deprived body and brain can contribute to anxiety. Maybe yours would improve a bit after getting your sleep straightened out. You could still suck your thumb during wake hours. Maybe don't look at it as giving it up - just altering the times.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 27, 2015 11:56 am

tootiredtothink wrote:helps curb my anxiety
Are you aware that untreated sleep apnea is a major cause of anxiety?

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Wed May 27, 2015 11:59 am

tootiredtothink wrote: My nasal passages are too narrow for me to adequatly breathe through my nose, even during the day.
What kind of sorry ENT would give you an UPPP without first addressing the nasal passages? Did he even discuss with you what could be done about your nose?
Sheffey

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Wed May 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Sheffey wrote:tootiredtothink wrote:
My nasal passages are too narrow for me to adequatly breathe through my nose, even during the day.
If you can't breathe through your nose and you have your thumb in your mouth when you are in bed, why haven't you suffocated to death?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed May 27, 2015 12:20 pm

tootiredtothink wrote:My therapist is actually supportive of my thumb sucking as it acts as a security blanket of sorts and helps curb my anxiety. We are both at a loss when it comes to the cpap though.

This is so frustrating. Its like having to trade between a good nights sleep, or your most prized posession/security device.
You need a new therapist. They are allowing you to continue with a life destroying habit that is preventing you from dealing with one of the root causes of your anxiety - OSA. It is preventing you from getting medical care. It is like saying "shooting up heroine is ok because it makes you feel good, so let's ignore the side effects".

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

tootiredtothink

Post by tootiredtothink » Wed May 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Hang Fire wrote:
Sheffey wrote:tootiredtothink wrote:
My nasal passages are too narrow for me to adequatly breathe through my nose, even during the day.
If you can't breathe through your nose and you have your thumb in your mouth when you are in bed, why haven't you suffocated to death?
Good question. To say I cant breathe through my nose is to say that I cant breathe ADEQUATLY through my nose. Every 5-6 breaths I start to feel like I am not getting enough air and have to open my mouth.

Also, I dont actually suck on my thumb like you would typically expect, it simply rests on the roof of my mouth and I have a towel that I rub between my fingers in addition. My mouth is open and I can breathe fine around my thumb.

tootiredtothink

Post by tootiredtothink » Wed May 27, 2015 12:28 pm

Sheffey wrote:
tootiredtothink wrote: My nasal passages are too narrow for me to adequatly breathe through my nose, even during the day.
What kind of sorry ENT would give you an UPPP without first addressing the nasal passages? Did he even discuss with you what could be done about your nose?
He said that my nasal passages are narrow but not enough to require surgery... Its just my feeling of not getting enough air that prevents me from being able to breathe fully through my nose. It feels like I can not fill my lungs up fully through my nose.