Micro CPAP device

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ems

Re: Micro CPAP device

Post by ems » Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 pm

accurate wrote:If it wasn't for people taking offense of the more reasonable posters pointing out foibles this wouldn't be a thread. Tiredgil learn how to search, EMS quit with your hollow threats, you don't have the hoss to do anything either in front of or behind the scenes or start things "underway". Your obvious weakness is laughable and your assertion that you have any influence in this forum is highly doubtful. I've read your many assertions as to the influence that you imagine you possess and find it laughable. Tiredgrl, no one offended you and you can now congratulate yourself for creating an incredibly long thread on news that was stated multiple times. BRAVO!
Yup... and here they come out of the woodwork. I have zip, 0, nada influence on this forum... not only "highly doubtful" but completely doubtful. Whatever you thought you read is in your head which I find laughable. However, there ARE things underway... read, watch and learn.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

accurate

Post by accurate » Tue May 26, 2015 9:51 pm

I suck at Haiku....
Last edited by accurate on Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian McCullough
Accurate Biomed Services Inc.
http://www.acbio.com

tiredgrl

Post by tiredgrl » Tue May 26, 2015 11:10 pm

Wow, accurate, you've made 74 posts in 10 years? And you've contributed to my "incredibly long thread." Apparently you aren't of the frequent bullies. Just one with nothing else to do tonight or anything positive to contribute.

Tell me how your post is constructively contributing anything? Oh right, you're just jumping on the bandwagon. You're probably like palerider - a tiny, small man sitting behind your computer pecking away on the keys basking in anonymity. That's how bullies behave. Saying nothing useful except to try to incite more hostility.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 27, 2015 1:01 am

Well, as one who will be flying for the first time since I started pap therapy, it would be nice to have a small device like like this to take instead of having to worry about lugging my vpap onto the plane in addition to my carry-on bag. This is when I will be jealous of the folks who have effective oral appliance therapy.

But addressing your points, yeah, I am not sure if someone has not succeeded with pap therapy, that this would necessarily work either for various reasons. As Dr. Steven Park has mentioned, many people have trouble with pap therapy due to the mask causing more arousals and I can't see how this device would improve that situation unless the machine was very quiet and that seems unlikely.
Krelvin wrote:Micro CPAP device = Vaporware.

If you read the comments on their website you can easily see they will have tons of fish feeding them money because a lot of them are failed CPAP users that think this will be a miracle product that will, somehow just work. Tons of sheeple looking for a magical device to keep them from using that horrid CPAP thing they currently have. There are comments after comments from people who say they have had CPAP for years but don't use it, it doesn't work, yet think this will sight unseen.

The whole thing is very deceptive... for example if you look at their website you will see every time they talk about throwing away your old CPAP mask, the picture is always a FFM. In fact they don't even show a nasal mask.

If it really was something, they certainly would not be doing crowdfunding for it, VC money would be flooding in.

Also a lot of comments on their website seem to think this is a close to market product, many asking if they can get in on the trials... what a joke.

Assuming they ever actually have a working product, it will take years to get FDA approval.

Unlike current CPAP technology, where you buy the Machine which is designed to last for many years, and then get masks which you replace as needed, this tiny 1oz device is all there is... and it is designed to be throwaway. BTW the battery in my cell phone is physically bigger than this device and itself weighs 2oz.

But the magic battery on this device has to be significantly less in size and capability but sill can cause air flow high enough to actually take care of OSA and even has filtered air on top of that.

It's a sheeple product, highly polished with a website with no real technical information fanning the hopes of the poorly informed.

You should sign up to make comments on their website.... then you will get flooded with email with apparently no way to stop it as that is a common complaint in their comments as well.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 am

49er wrote:Well, as one who will be flying for the first time since I started pap therapy, it would be nice to have a small device like like this to take instead of having to worry about lugging my vpap onto the plane in addition to my carry-on bag. This is when I will be jealous of the folks who have effective oral appliance therapy.

To me, this gadget looks a lot like provent. So, I'm not sure how it would be an improvement from that. Also, as a mouth breather, I know it would not be an item for me even if it works.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 27, 2015 1:27 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:
49er wrote:Well, as one who will be flying for the first time since I started pap therapy, it would be nice to have a small device like like this to take instead of having to worry about lugging my vpap onto the plane in addition to my carry-on bag. This is when I will be jealous of the folks who have effective oral appliance therapy.

To me, this gadget looks a lot like provent. So, I'm not sure how it would be an improvement from that. Also, as a mouth breather, I know it would not be an item for me even if it works.
That is a good comparison Zoocrew.

49er

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:04 am

You pretty much nailed it Tiredgrl

Sclark08

Post by Sclark08 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:08 am

This sight is more like a cult and they are not looking for new members!

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:35 am

[quote="tiredgrl"]
This looks kind of interesting:

Since you started this with your well thought out and eloquent statement of your thoughts and opinions on the subject ...

[quote="tiredgrl"]
And you've contributed to my "incredibly long thread."

you now think it is your personal thread... to be responded to with glowing complements of your wonderful find.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed May 27, 2015 7:07 am

All I can say is that someday there will be something like this contraption, and people will look back to this forum and say how primitive those big bulky masks and machines were, and how glad they are that they have something small and unobtrusive on their face. I think it's neat to watch the efforts in this direction.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 27, 2015 9:41 am

herefishy wrote:All I can say is that someday there will be something like this contraption, and people will look back to this forum and say how primitive those big bulky masks and machines were, and how glad they are that they have something small and unobtrusive on their face. I think it's neat to watch the efforts in this direction.
I totally agree herefishy. Even if there may be particular companies that don't get off the ground such as the folks who are trying to create this device, someone is going to succeed as there clearly is a demand for it judging by 6000 plus comments who seem to be begging for a device like this.

49er

tiredgrl

Post by tiredgrl » Wed May 27, 2015 10:18 am

Oh no, grayghost4, you're not living up to what palerider wrote about you on Monday at 8:09pm - "grayghost4 is a very nice elderly gentleman."

Forgive me for my improper semantics. my "incredibly long thread." How about "the post I originally started?" Is that better? It's unfortunate that your snide attitude clouds your ability to comprehend the intent of my original post.

And, also, you may want to Google the word "complements," as in your statement "...glowing complements." It's not what you think it is

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 am

49er wrote:Even if there may be particular companies that don't get off the ground such as the folks who are trying to create this device, someone is going to succeed as there clearly is a demand for it judging by 6000 plus comments who seem to be begging for a device like this.
Begging for a miracle doesn't mean it is going to work. Even if the device was real, worked, and didn't have any problems with it, most of the people who are saying they want this to solve their CPAP issues wouldn't be fixed by it.

If you really look at the comments they are making, many of them have CPAP now but either don't like it or won't/haven't been using it. Many indicate they are already using nasal masks even.

How is a device that is basically an electronic nasal device going to be magically better?

People waste huge amounts of money all the time on something new only to find it really isn't better, work well or even something they will use. In this case, people are going to spend "donate" money on something that isn't even real yet.

This is to fund the "product" so it can get to market. Ie, doesn't exist, has no approval. The crowdfunding hasn't even been setup yet... for some reason it is taking them more than a month to do that. When it is, it will be interesting in what the levels of funding actually are for.

Amazing a vast majority of the comments are asking to be part of the Trial. What trial? there is no trial announced or even planned in limited documentation they have put out. But this is the #1 request.

Nasal masks are readily available now and have been for years. CPAP machines have been around for years and are designed to last for many years, but this magical device is going to really change that?

The fact is CPAP isn't necessarily easy if you got no help with it when you started out. Most users here are here because they had problems, no info, lack of help, poor settings or no settings etc...

The future? Yes, things get small, faster all the time. We aren't there yet.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

49er

Post by 49er » Wed May 27, 2015 10:59 am

How is a device that is basically an electronic nasal device going to be magically better?

It depends on what the problem area is and the construction of this device. If someone is so hypersensitive that they can't stand to have anything on their face, you are right, this device most likely won't work. But if it an issue of someone not being able to avoid getting tangled up in a hose or having discomfort from straps so matter what they do, this device might be a game changer. Also, if this device ends up quieter than the current setup of machines although I am not convinced it will happe, it could also be very popular since again, there are many folks who are quite hypersensitive to noise.

And if someone believes something will work, that also counts for something. I mean, don't we constantly tell people on this board that attitude is everything?
People waste huge amounts of money all the time on something new only to find it really isn't better, work well or even something they will use. In this case, people are going to spend "donate" money on something that isn't even real yet.
No argument there. Trying to think of some examples but unfortunately, nothing is coming to mind. Darn:)

Yeah, I would never donate money to something that doesn't even exist. But again, that shows the desperation of folks.
Amazing a vast majority of the comments are asking to be part of the Trial. What trial? there is no trial announced or even planned in limited documentation they have put out. But this is the #1 request.
On a related note, someone I know was convinced that if I could just find a provider who custom made a mask, my pap therapy problems would be solved. Anytime there was an article suggesting this could be on the horizon, this person would urge me to put in for a trial. You see, she was so desperate for me to solve my problems that she just wasn't thinking logically about the situation even though normally this person is highly intelligent. It sounds like that is what is going on with folks making these comments.
Nasal masks are readily available now and have been for years. CPAP machines have been around for years and are designed to last for many years, but this magical device is going to really change that?
Hard to say. As an fyi, dental devices have a higher compliance rate even though they aren't as effective as pap therapy. So if this device is light and quiet, perhaps it could change things. Again, I really don't know.

Stay tuned.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 am

Krelvin wrote:
49er wrote:Even if there may be particular companies that don't get off the ground such as the folks who are trying to create this device, someone is going to succeed as there clearly is a demand for it judging by 6000 plus comments who seem to be begging for a device like this.
Begging for a miracle doesn't mean it is going to work. Even if the device was real, worked, and didn't have any problems with it, most of the people who are saying they want this to solve their CPAP issues wouldn't be fixed by it.

This is to fund the "product" so it can get to market. Ie, doesn't exist, has no approval. The crowdfunding hasn't even been setup yet... for some reason it is taking them more than a month to do that. When it is, it will be interesting in what the levels of funding actually are for.
Just like my Pappy always told me: "A Fool and His Money are Easily Parted"

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/